New tax era in Thailand begins as Revenue now shares data with 138 countries within the OECD

webfact

However, my tax will be 3.OO0 B. acceptable without problems.

Making an investment here now in Thailand will be another question that I won't ask myself for now because I won't do it.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, smedly said:

you can work that out, how are they going too

This is written down by my local taxman , and agrees with the recent post from Charlie & Mike, which clarifies it perfectly.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

I am not sure if it is even legal to force a tourist who resides here more than 180 days a year to file a tax return. 

Not sure you're considered a tourist, staying over half a year in country. But then, that could be fixed by simply returning to 180 days per year maximum stay in Thailand without non-immigrant visa.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Would be interesting to know what the tax threshold is here in Thailand... at what financial level do you start to pay tax?

[I'm talking about income from overseas not income from working here in Thailand].

Please read this

• Thanks 2

With regard to US and associated worldwide income, a US taxpayer must pay income tax as earned or received on income during the year by either withholding or making estimated tax payments (ie., monthly/quarterly). Otherwise, there is a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax. See Form 2210, Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc306

So it might not be surprising that many of US funds transferred to Thailand by American resident expats from the US might have already been taxed beyond such common income sources as government pensions and social security. 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, smedly said:

you can work that out, how are they going too

good luck with that

if I have to do a border run every 180 days  - i will, ## them, but it won't happen, too complex to administer

That would have to be a very long boarder run. :giggle:

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The UK state pension falls below the level requiring tax, ie less than the personal tax free allowance for the UK. So tax free. It does however qualify for Thai taxation by amount. I hope you are correct of course.

Is the 12700 tax free, or taxed at 0%?

3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

No! Here, read this:

Are you having a laugh?

I have not read anything that long since I did my Uni studies!

If presented with that I would be tempted to just say 'how much do you want!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

If you're too lazy to read two pages of A4, don't expect a personalized answer from me.

If you are the type to send 'War and Peace' when a few lines would suffice, sorry I disturbed you.

How much time I got left I need this!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, smedly said:

I pay tax in the uk, there is no avoinding it if you have a legit income like a pension

how many people do you think have an "income" and don't pay tax ?

this is why governments are now pushing hard for a cashless system, the ultimate control

As posted elsewhere this morning, the informal economy or grey labor market equals about 50% of the labor force which is around 38 million people. Since only 11% of the labor force files a tax return, the answer to your question is, somewhere between 1% and 89% of 38 million.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Are you having a laugh?

I have not read anything that long since I did my Uni studies!

If presented with that I would be tempted to just say 'how much do you want!

i suggest you read it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

As posted elsewhere this morning, the informal economy or grey labor market equals about 50% of the labor force which is around 38 million people. Since only 11% of the labor force files a tax return, the answer to your question is, somewhere between 1% and 89% of 38 million.

I think @smedly was referring to expats in Thailand with legitimate sources of income from their home Countries.

Not local Thais.

• Like 1