New tax era in Thailand begins as Revenue now shares data with 138 countries within the OECD

webfact

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Don't like your wording. I haven't paid income tax since 1991, but I have never "failed" to do so, I didn't have to. Until retirement my wages weren't taxable, than here I used the defunct seasoning rule, and since November 2022 I am under the LTR Visa regime. If that changes I'll minimise my burden by using pre 2024 savings and the 179 days rule, if I am still fit to do so. Did I do anything wrong? absolutely not, I did my duty as a tax payer: be aware of the rules and used them to your best advantage.

2 hours ago, sidgy said:

I think that if you can prove you already had that $100k in your account, before the start of this year, then you can subsequently bring in up to that $100k tax free. After that amount it will be assessable for tax.

well, since the ltr are supposedly under royal exemption, you shouldn't worry for 8  more years.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Incredible eh? That's how many, many "more civilized" countries have been personal income tax assessment and management for decades.

Speaking as a director of a limited company , I have never had any money withheld by a bank in the UK, either in my personal or business accounts. Although whether the UK is "more civilised" than here is questionable 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Speaking as a director of a limited company , I have never had any money withheld by a bank in the UK, either in my personal or business accounts. Although whether the UK is "more civilised" than here is questionable 

Speaking as either the director, or owner, or sole-trader or employee of several foreign companies over the past 45 years or so, as a professional international tax exile gypsy, I have. And it ALL got refunded.

People gotta panic.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, BE88 said:

Now it is clear that all foreign residents in Thailand will have to pay taxes for those who reside beyond 180 days

I don't understand what you mean. Some foreigners in Thailand paying taxes for other foreigners in Thailand?

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

If it becomes an immigration issue, It would only potentially affect people who use the income / combo method. It wont affect people that slapped 400k / 800k in a bank account years ago.

And so what? At least they wouldn't have (many) questions as to what or where is the money that I use to live on.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

What it will do, is make a good portion of expats leave to live elsewhere. Hopefully they make enough off taxes on Thai HI-SO's hiding money abroad, as they won't be ablet to leave so easily.

countries to which one might move to are fairly short today...even Russia china and india signed.  Probably a few more too, N. korea probably didn't Iran probably didn't...check them out as there won't be that many that would give an ex-pat a tax break in my opinion...after all this is mainly for those rich multinational organizations paying less than their fair share to some and those individuals that don't pay on earned income this was stated

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Speaking as either the director, or owner, or sole-trader or employee of several foreign companies over the past 45 years or so, as a professional international tax exile gypsy, I have.

In the uk employees, and most  sole traders will  have their tax withheld at source, Directors can elect to pay themselves fee's that are beneath the tax threshold ,and, if they are also the owner can pay themselves in dividends from which tax is not withheld but must be paid retrospectively.

Maybe you are not from the UK or if you are maybe you had a bad accountant.  I have no knowledge of what "benefits"  being a professional tax exile brings, and bearing in mind what you have written, i don't think I'll bother looking into it   

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I will have at least a year or two more to worry about it, I won't be sending anything here this year, we'll see what tax nightmares await other filers before I send money again.

That's the way forward for sure,  I will be doing the same

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Presnock said:

countries to which one might move to are fairly short today...even Russia china and india signed.  Probably a few more too, N. korea probably didn't Iran probably didn't...check them out as there won't be that many that would give an ex-pat a tax break in my opinion...after all this is mainly for those rich multinational organizations paying less than their fair share to some and those individuals that don't pay on earned income this was stated

Yes, but why deal with taxes in two different countries? Just move back home and deal with taxes in your home country, less hassle. Plus, I know my wife does her taxes before I do mine in the US, how exactly are we going to time this tax obligation in two countries?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, hkblademan said:
4 hours ago, smedly said:

you can work that out, how are they going too

good luck with that

if I have to do a border run every 180 days  - i will, ## them, but it won't happen, too complex to administer

That won’t make you non tax resident. If you spend a total of 180 days here in a tax year you’re tax resident. It’s not 180

days consecutively it’s 180 days in total….

Correct. Best option is 4 months on, 4 months off over three countries.

Let's see now... Thailand in Nov-Feb, Cuba in Mar-June and UK July-October.

• Haha 1

When I first came to live here ,you had to have a tax assessment ,before they would give you

permission to leave the country , it was a farce ,the lady making the assessment was more

interested in getting me to bring some knickers,bras and perfume for her ,tax charged 200-

500 Baht  if i remember correctly , I cannot remember which Government cancelled it, but they are

doing it again and I expect they will be more through this time around...wonder if they will 

connected to getting permission to leave the country....

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Puccini said:

I don't understand what you mean. Some foreigners in Thailand paying taxes for other foreigners in Thailand?

What are you talking about ?

Please use a translator  :smile:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BE88 said:

When you show up for your visa renewal they will ask you for proof of your visa declaration if you have lived in Thailand for more 180 days.

So I assume everyone will have to have filed their taxes next year if you want to stay in Thailand.

And what if you have not , immediate deportation ?  or will people be detained until they comply?

And for a tourist who comes several times a year and inadvertently stays more than 180 days  will they also be subject to detention until they comply?

I would say that's unlikely and unworkable for those who have all but spent up before departure, and like most tourists will not have thought to pack the mountains of documentation required in their suitcases

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

And what if you have not , immediate deportation ?  or will people be detained until they comply?

And for a tourist who comes several times a year and inadvertently stays more than 180 days  will they also be subject to detention until they comply?

I would say that's unlikely and unworkable for those who have all but spent up before departure, and like most tourists will not have thought to pack the mountains of documentation required in their suitcases

As in your country, being ignorant of the law does not exclude you from your duties and penalize you, so what Thai immigration will do remains to be discovered.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Correct. Best option is 4 months on, 4 months off over three countries.

Let's see now... Thailand in Nov-Feb, Cuba in Mar-June and UK July-October.

First two options sound good to me, but personally  I would give the UK a miss

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

In the uk employees, and most  sole traders will  have their tax withheld at source, Directors can elect to pay themselves fee's that are beneath the tax threshold ,and, if they are also the owner can pay themselves in dividends from which tax is not withheld but must be paid retrospectively.

Maybe you are not from the UK or if you are maybe you had a bad accountant.  I have no knowledge of what "benefits"  being a professional tax exile brings, and bearing in mind what you have written, i don't think I'll bother looking into it   

I was once a sole trader. I did my own year end accounts. Tax deducted at source? At source of what?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

If you opened another different Thai bank account and transferred different amounts, as in one to be below a certain tax threshold etc, how would the tax office know you had 2 accounts, do banks have to disclose this information?

I have a daughter here, nothing to stop me transferring monies from my own country to her then she gives me cash, no-one is any the wiser? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Exactly, it remains to be discovered , yet it didn't  stop you from stating....." When you show up for your visa renewal they will ask you for proof of your visa declaration if you have lived in Thailand for more 180 days." 

with the usual air of authority expressed by many on here who know no more than the rest of us

It's not me who says it but it's written in the PO Thai Examiner.com so using logic I assume that it will be an extra request to get your Visa renewal like your bank deposit, but if you think it's exempt you're free to think so.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

And so what? At least they wouldn't have (many) questions as to what or where is the money that I use to live on.

No so what intended.

I did make that exact point to another poster on the other thread. Jim Gant possibly.

Here is my 800k for extension - That is great, now what are you living on.

Income method covere both the 65k monthly required and provides money for living on.

But we are getting into the realms of the RD and Immigration being synchronized when they are currently 2 seperate entities.