Thailand Sets Up Emergency Center for Impending Haze Crisis

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has established an Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to address the critical issue of haze pollution, which is forecasted to intensify, especially in the northern region.

Permanent Secretary for Public Health Dr Opas Karnkawinpong acknowledged the persistent challenge posed by PM2.5, ultra-fine dust particles considered harmful to health.

While seasonal rains have currently mitigated the issue in Bangkok, patterns suggest a resurgence later in the year lasting until mid-March. The expected drier and hotter conditions may contribute to an increased risk of forest fires, exacerbating the air quality problems.

The EOC’s objective is to collaborate with other agencies to keep a close watch on environmental conditions and health repercussions. Health risks range from respiratory and skin irritation in the short term to heightened chances of developing severe conditions like heart disease and cancer over time.

Vulnerable populations, including the elderly and children, are advised to remain indoors, preferably in areas with air purifiers.

Dr Opas emphasized the importance of addressing the root causes of PM2.5 pollution, which are primarily linked to vehicle emissions and industrial activities. In line with these efforts, the Ministry is moving towards renewable energy solutions, including the installation of solar panels and the future deployment of electric vehicles as ambulances in state healthcare facilities, to combat the pollution crisis.

by Krajangwit Johjit

Source: NNT 2024-01-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Setup a new agency that has a big budget to plunder, and say they will do something, but actually do nothing. How very Thai of them, however, there should be plenty of higher ups ready to step up to the trough.

• Like 2

This is pretty simple... yet unresolvable. Why? Because right now we are in what is called the "Northeast Monsoon" season... which means the winds come from the Northeast (Isan, Laos, China). So... I live here in Isan and everyone burns wood, trash, leaves, whatever they just burn it. In Laos is worse... in China is actually smog... so unless Thai police go out and stop people from burning... it will not stop. And even if they manage to do it... they can't stop Laotians from doing it. So suck it up (I have air purifiers inside my house... it helps). Wait until April-May when the Southwest Monsoon returns the winds come from the Indian Ocean clearing things up. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

"The EOC’s objective is to collaborate with other agencies to keep a close watch on environmental conditions and health repercussions." As we all know, simply looking at a problem is enough to solve it.... not!

"Dr Opas emphasized the importance of addressing the root causes of PM2.5 pollution, which are primarily linked to vehicle emissions and industrial activities"

The AQI for Bangkok right now is 112. At Lovell school in Pattaya it is 153. Half of Pattaya is seashore, so little air pollution should come from the sea.... levels around Laem Chabang industrial are lower. Are there really more vehicles here than in Bangkok? Hmm air flow from field burning? You tell me

"... Ministry is moving towards renewable energy solutions, including the installation of solar panels and the future deployment of electric vehicles..." Such a pile of BS: why not simply say "We are going to do nothing"? California used to have abysmal smog & then got the political will to pass laws AND enforce them... Vehicle inspections and going after major polluters agricultural or industrial could make a difference. Gov is soooo pathetic and spineless. I guess saying "People get the governments they deserve" applies here

In Thailand, open burning from agricultural areas accounts for 5% of the total PM2.5 generated, while cars and traffic contribute 72.5%, and industrial factories contribute 17%.

Agricultural Burning Management in Thailand_TEI

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

While seasonal rains have currently mitigated the issue in Bangkok,

This begs a question. Since when did the cool, dry season have seasonal rains, lol?

23 hours ago, webfact said:

conditions may contribute to an increased risk of forest fires, exacerbating the air quality problems.

There are meat broilers on every corner; most wats burn their own rubbish daily; traffic jams everywhere caused by selfish, brainless drivers; even convoys of slow-moving speaker vans holding up traffic to broadcast a message that no one will hear. I suspect lung disease kills more people annually than the totals for Covid and road traffic accidents.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Are Thailand government going to wash the streets again to combat the air pollution?

TIT.  Just wondering.

Maybe they could get some skilled helicopter pilots, to fly upside-down and blow it all away  :whistling::whistling:

On 1/8/2024 at 9:30 AM, sungod said:

'Impending Haze Crisis'

Its been with us a couple of weeks already.....

Yes, this "impending haze" just now @ 10.27 am AQI 176, down from 186 first thing.

AQI1762.jpg.789d0817f6633d58015a7bf7ff7aa1b3.jpgAQI176.jpg.7b33e0337f37d85f84071e715e59c977.jpgAQI185.jpg.f74395362a75903fbf255c429fae80a8.jpg

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, Emdog said:

"The EOC’s objective is to collaborate with other agencies to keep a close watch on environmental conditions and health repercussions." As we all know, simply looking at a problem is enough to solve it.... not!

"Dr Opas emphasized the importance of addressing the root causes of PM2.5 pollution, which are primarily linked to vehicle emissions and industrial activities"

The AQI for Bangkok right now is 112. At Lovell school in Pattaya it is 153. Half of Pattaya is seashore, so little air pollution should come from the sea.... levels around Laem Chabang industrial are lower. Are there really more vehicles here than in Bangkok? Hmm air flow from field burning? You tell me

"... Ministry is moving towards renewable energy solutions, including the installation of solar panels and the future deployment of electric vehicles..." Such a pile of BS: why not simply say "We are going to do nothing"? California used to have abysmal smog & then got the political will to pass laws AND enforce them... Vehicle inspections and going after major polluters agricultural or industrial could make a difference. Gov is soooo pathetic and spineless. I guess saying "People get the governments they deserve" applies here

Agreed.....Greed. There is no political will to do anything. "Let them eat dust" as Marie Antoinette might have said from her ivory Petit Trianon.

The billions of visitors to Thailand that TAT and the Thai government want to attract are simply not coming to be gassed...unless they're having a gas.

Edited by samtam
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 10:51 AM, Emdog said:

I live over near Wongamat and Lovell school is my nearest station so look at it quite frequently. Not convinced the meter at Lovell school is working properly as it went offline over Christmas/new year, offline now (just checked) and when online the readings dont seem to alter. It was red the other day when the rest of Pattaya was yellow.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Air & water pollution, are about my only pet peeves of TH.   They really should be embarrassed.

image.png.0fbbc5c0543e933b2c180f7279a5f53f.png

Agreed,everything else I can handle.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, sungod said:

I live over near Wongamat and Lovell school is my nearest station so look at it quite frequently. Not convinced the meter at Lovell school is working properly as it went offline over Christmas/new year, offline now (just checked) and when online the readings dont seem to alter. It was red the other day when the rest of Pattaya was yellow.

The AQI organisation data is frequently not working properly. Had similar issues with their reportings in November. I reported the inaccuracies (on the website). They shut off the ones that were completely out of whack. Typically, none of these things work properly, unless they are professionally monitored.

• Like 1