1 in 4 vehicles registered in December in Thailand was a fully electric

5 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I hope Tesla have taken note of their appalling market share.

There is a video circulating of Elon Musk writing off BYD some years back. Maybe he underestimated the competition? 

I have only started seeing Tesla's on the road in this past year, so maybe they entered the market late.

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Although the chart below is shown in the OP's weblink above, for those who are challenged in weblink clicking, I've included it below.  Shows the monthly sales Jan-Dec 2023 for each EV model sold.   

And of all the EV models sold in Thailand for 2023 there was one EV manufacturer who was the 800 pound guerilla, the elephant in the room, etc., among the manufacturers and it was not Telsa....it was BYD commanding 40% of the EV sales in Thailand.  

image.png.a5853d6866b112fbe343e032ff87e614.png

MG are doing quite OK as well. The Chinese haters call them 'cheap Chinese rubbish', but they have a circa 16% market sale, like NETA. The Chinese ran away with the EV market in 2023, it seems. Hey, maybe EV buyers are not EV connoisseurs, and preferring cheaper prices are buying the wrong brands :)

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

I have only started seeing Tesla's on the road in this past year, so maybe they entered the market late.

Tesla started selling in Thailand in December 2022 (not counting grey imports from Hong Kong)

In the chart posted by Pib above there are Tesla sales in all months of 2023, but at low level compared to Australia where they were sold quite a bit cheaper.

Tesla dropped prices in all markets several times in 2023 but only reduced prices in Thailand in October 2023 after the launch of the BYD Seal here which attracted 1,000 orders in the first hour after launch.

28 minutes ago, retarius said:

I'm not looking to buy any EV though, if I were to buy anything I would buy a Toyota hybrid model....I wonder how their numbers stack up against these EV brand sales?

I haven’t seen figures for December yet, but for comparison these are Best Selling passenger vehicles of all types in November. BYD Dolphin, Atto 3, and Neta V are fully electric 

IMG_0500.jpeg.eab41960182a6a085d7f5b9d3705e8b4.jpeg

All these wonderful smart people thinking they are helping the environment good for them. Tesla seem ugly with no style in my opinion.  Probably hiso status thinking buyers drive your Tesla to Starbucks and take photos.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I haven’t seen figures for December yet, but for comparison these are Best Selling passenger vehicles of all types in November. BYD Dolphin, Atto 3, and Neta V are fully electric 

IMG_0500.jpeg.eab41960182a6a085d7f5b9d3705e8b4.jpeg

And it will be hard to displace the "Yaris ATIV" from the best selling small SUV in Thailand (ICEV or EV) simply due to a low price of Bt549K and most folks still preferring ICE Vehicles although that ICEV-only attitude seems to be changing quickly in Thailand as EV sales in 2023 rocketed.  But attitudes about EVs are not changing so quickly in some countries around the world....a lot depends on tax rebates/subsidies, the weather/size/topography of the country, charging infrastructure, political factors, lobbying groups, etc.  Each country is quite different....but Thailand seems ready & ripe for EVs.   Below from the the Toyota Thailand website showing various Yaris models pricing.

image.png.d6796060405a9c2f3e5700943766e4da.png

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I don’t know of a single EV owner in Thailand who bought an EV for the purpose of helping the environment. Do you? In my opinion, EV owners bought an EV because of the extremely low cost of travelling and maintenance, superior comfort, advanced technology and convenience of being able to charge at home, sometimes for free even. If in the process they are helping the environment, surely that must be a good thing ?

For me as an EV owner all of above reasons apply plus one more:  the EV looked durn good!!!!

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, br12stol said:

I think only having a dealer in Bangkok is the killer.  Surely after a year you would expect at least Chiang Mai, Central Isaan, Central ,South and East Thailand to have dealers with service centers  from such an Established company.

There are lots of brands with the only dealer in Bangkok, I bought one from the only official dealer there 2.5 years ago, it never bothered me, they came and collected it with a slide-on for 2 warranty claims.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

There are lots of brands with the only dealer in Bangkok, I bought one from the only official dealer there 2.5 years ago, it never bothered me, they came and collected it with a slide-on for 2 warranty claims.

Yes I have to use AAS as well once a year, i've got a 10 year warranty so it needs to be serviced there. But Tesla being a bit more mainstream it must put lots of potential buyers off imo.   

1 hour ago, br12stol said:

Yes I have to use AAS as well once a year, i've got a 10 year warranty so it needs to be serviced there. But Tesla being a bit more mainstream it must put lots of potential buyers off imo.   

My dealer was AAS I only got a 2 year warranty:-(

Bandersnatch said:- I drive my EV on excess solar power after I have powered my house and charged my solar batteries.

I charge my EV from its dedicated panels and no battery is needed for that inverter*, whilst the house battery is charging from its own dedicated panels.

*Dont trust the Queenswing inverter company claim that no battery is needed.

I bet you love driving your EV too?

Who cares much what they look like.   and yes I took a picture at a supermarket park, not at Starbucks, but because 2 other EV parked beside mine.

Edited by Jing Joe
edit
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, poppysdad said:

We bought a new car for Christmas and had no interest whatsoever in buying an electric car and my Thai wife for whatever reason will not buy a Chinese one so plumped for a nice Honda ice. 

Very nice. Honda makes good reliable cars, if a bit obsolete in terms of technology and features. I’ve owned 3 Hondas previously, starting with a Prelude (sexy looking car for its time, back in the early 80’s), changed that to a CRX and when I had more money, an Accord.

Out of curiosity, why don’t you have an interest in an EV? And is your wife racist? The latter would be funny, considering she’s a Thai when most of the western world sadly, hold Thai women in,low esteem (assuming most of them are bar girls, massage girls etc. You know what I mean).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1