Rejected at Nong Kai border for unknown reason

OP - first question asked by my friend after i explained the situation as best as i could was 'what is nationality'.  evidently that matters.  i read part of the older thread and don't see that info.  you could PM me the info if you want to keep it private (maybe i missed it in the old thread).  i have no interest in exposing your nationality to the wider forum.

6 hours ago, Dante99 said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The op is struggling to enter Thailand and get back to his family.

Should be on a marriage visa then, is he?  

Should he ??...    Do people only have a family in Thailand if they are married  ????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Misty said:

The Phuket IO thought there was a fake boarding pass? I understand that the OP did not have a fake boarding pass but am curious: why would someone fake a boarding pass. Is this a thing?

The only thing I can imagine in such a situation is that someone wants to do a quick border bounce and instead of taking a quick flight out and back, they just exit immigration to 'airside' on a throwaway ticket without taking the flight, then return and re-enter Thailand and if asked for a boarding pass, they can present a 'fake one'...  ...  Thats all I can think of and its quite implausible. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Should he ??...    Do people only have a family in Thailand if they are married  ????

OP said he he had no wife or child in Thailand. Doubt his parents are Thai or he'd be Thai so that leaves what? 

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:
18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OP said he he had no wife or child in Thailand. Doubt his parents are Thai or he'd be Thai so that leaves what? 

Long term partner who has a child and he considers them family ????

... isn't that a favourite of foreigners here...  they end up with a longterm girlfriend who already has children and the fella considers them family....?

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This worked for me when Immigration Officers were being difficult...  

Long story short, my Extension of stay based on Work expired the day after I'd landed back in BKK (after being away for a month and the contract had finished), the Immigration officer stamped me in for one day based on that expiry date.

I objected and had to go push the issue up two levels before speaking to someone with reason who agreed that it was ridiculous to stamp me in for one day - the junior officers really were unimpressed at being over-ruled.

So, I can see how some Immigration Officers can be deliberately difficult and it appears the Op had one of those people who should never be in the position they are in. 

At the time, when the Op had entered Phuket I advised that he speak with a supervisor and someone who can see reason, but it appears that it was too late and he was left without choice or didn't push firmly enough. 

Immigration Officers were being difficult? I think you got that backwards.

That junior officer was doing his job correctly. I'm surprised you expected anything different than getting stamped in until the expiry date of your extension of stay.

Couldn't you have deferred your return until after the extension of stay expired or had a plan in place to deal with it at immigration the next day? Since the extension of stay was based on work maybe there are more details as to why you entered and expected different treatment.

I feel sorry for that junior officer and I doubt your statement the officer's superior agreed that it was ridiculous to stamp you in for one day.

How long did they end up stamping you in for?

• Like 2

OP - i've seen the member '007 RED' help out with some very difficult 'situations' brought up by members of this forum.  this person doesn't troll or join in on discussions out of boredom. this person has displayed extensive knowledge on how things work here.  it would be wise to consult with this person.   

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

It should be or it must be?

It used to specify docs to presented on the notice above the IOs head and boarding pass was included, think it has now been re-worded.

One time I was coming back and on seeing the notice realised my boarding pass was in a pocket on my backpack. I went to get backpack but being a bit heavy suddenly slid off my shoulder. Unfortunately it was the same side as I was carrying the duty free and the movement caused the bag to strike the floor. Bit embarrassing stood in front of the immigration desk in an ever expanding pool of brandy.

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

the Op has since identified that Immigration logged the rejection in the system as 'fake boarding pass' which seems extremely strange

Yes, especially since June 2022 the TM6 arrival/departure card was shelved at international airports in Thailand.

https://www.thailandelitevisas.com/

Then later suspensions such as Nov. 1,  2023-April 30, 2024 at Sadao Immigration checkpoint. 

4 hours ago, siwiek said:

Maybe having a few too many stamp-only entries didn't help my case, but certainly non of their accusations were true (fake boarding passes or not enough money).

They usually do this when they want to deny entry based on previous history in Thailand... there's no such reason in the Immigration Law as "visited Thailand too often" so they can ask about cash, return ticket, work or anything else like boarding passes to decide whether they should let you in or not. 

One funny claim airport immigration can say is that land border entries in previous history are somehow "illegal" and shady, treat you like a very suspicious person if you used land borders in the past (while land borders are just normal immigration checkpoints with a more relaxed policy on frequent travelers).

5 hours ago, siwiek said:

Can I ask why you suggest Malaysia border? Do you think Savanaket border in Laos might be also possible? Thank you.

Definitely you can try "Thakhek - Nakhon Phanom" or "Savannakhet - Mukdahan" friendship bridges if you're okay with traveling on intercity bus in Laos. The issue is I don't think there are flights from Savannakhet if you will be denied again. Travelling in Malaysia is super easy and even much easier than Thailand. There are BTS-like quality trains between KL and Penang and Penang to Padang Besar.

3 hours ago, siwiek said:

After arriving back to Laos the police manager stamped CANCELLED on my exit stamp and that's all. Initially I thought I was going to get a special 24 hours stamp or something to Laos to go back to the airport but nothing like that, just a cancellation of exit so I assume my 30 day VOA is still active now.

Right, you're still on your previous entry stamp into Laos (30 days). I bet there's no record of Nong Khai in Thai immigration database so this is all looks like you never actually tried to cross border there, lol. BUT there are cancelled exit and entry stamps in your passport and until you get a new passport, immigration officers could see it and ask about these stamps and treat you like a suspicious person. Not sure what you can tell them to explain. Maybe like buick suggested here, you need to arrange some help from someone to cross land border. It should be multiple times less expensive than arranging help from someone in Phuket or Bangkok airports.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, ningnong said:

This worked for me when Immigration Officers were being difficult...  

Long story short, my Extension of stay based on Work expired the day after I'd landed back in BKK (after being away for a month and the contract had finished), the Immigration officer stamped me in for one day based on that expiry date.

I objected and had to go push the issue up two levels before speaking to someone with reason who agreed that it was ridiculous to stamp me in for one day - the junior officers really were unimpressed at being over-ruled.

So, I can see how some Immigration Officers can be deliberately difficult and it appears the Op had one of those people who should never be in the position they are in. 

At the time, when the Op had entered Phuket I advised that he speak with a supervisor and someone who can see reason, but it appears that it was too late and he was left without choice or didn't push firmly enough. 

Expand  

Immigration Officers were being difficult? I think you got that backwards.

That junior officer was doing his job correctly. I'm surprised you expected anything different than getting stamped in until the expiry date of your extension of stay.

He wasn't... as proven by the senior officer.

I was also carrying an Open 5 Year S.E. Visa (Thai Elite) - so they could have stamped me in on that. 

Alternatively (if I didnt have the S.E. Visa, they could have stamped me in on a Visa Exempt entry for 30 days.

Couldn't you have deferred your return until after the extension of stay expired or had a plan in place to deal with it at immigration the next day?

I could have, but didn't even consider is an issue... And.. it wasn't an issue once the junior inexperienced Immigration officer was circumnavigated. 

Since the extension of stay was based on work maybe there are more details as to why you entered and expected different treatment.

More details such as ?

I didn't expect different treatment, I expected the correct entry permissions and was afforded such once the senior immigration officer was involved.

I feel sorry for that junior officer and I doubt your statement the officer's superior agreed that it was ridiculous to stamp you in for one day.

I did not feel sorry at all for the Junior officer, he wanted to be awkward and didn't get away with it. 

Doubt what you like, I was there, the senior officer was apologetic, she spoke excellent English and resolved the issue very efficiently.

How long did they end up stamping you in for?

90 days as per the permissions of my S.E. Visa (Thai Elite, which I was also holding). 

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Long term partner who has a child and he considers them family ????

... isn't that a favourite of foreigners here...  they end up with a longterm girlfriend who already has children and the fella considers them family....?

Are you his lawyer, defend him no matter what making up a story that fits? He was asked many times on other thread what family in Thailand and he refused to answer so how come you know? 

Thats not defending him no matter what...   Its a plausible explanation of what some call a family. 

The Op has stated he has family here... and that can mean a lot of things. 

Meanwhile you are being very quick to call B$... 

The Op could answer - but I don't blame him for choosing not to filtering out those levying B$ accusations at him, he has enough to deal with without tools providing stupid distraction. 

• Love It 1

As always in Thailand when dealing with officials speak quietly, respectfully, and slowly. Dress well, and generally behave well. This won't solve every problem, but it will help your case.

Upon departure, yes.... But upon arrival its something I've only ever been asked to show once (about two years ago) and I'm making about 8 International arrivals / entry's per year....  So its clearly not something they ask for with any degree of frequency.

That said, after being asked for it once, the boarding pass is something I always have in my possession at least until I depart the airport.

The issue the Op encountered is that the Immigration officers reported that they suspected he had a fake boarding pass and that was the reason for his rejection, although it appears at the time he was told his rejection was because he didn't show 20,000 Baht in cash (although he had it and was never asked for it).... 

That Immigration Officer at Phuket seems like a complete 'wrong-un' and set the ball rolling on a path of ridiculous inconvenience and hassle for the Op... 

''Fake boarding pass'' LOL ...

But what I can't understand is why poster doesn't go for a Non-O if he wants to visit family ...?

Reading that OP it all seemed a little improbable though I wouldn't call BS on that basis.

On 1/12/2024 at 2:56 PM, siwiek said:

follow up to 

So like an honest citizen I followed what the Phuket immigration police told me (then again, they were 20 year old intern girls talking to me because the police officers refused to answer any questions during that experience)... and I stayed out of Thailand until 2024 and tried to enter again via Laos border. 

I told the IO my story and he kind of grinned and said don't worry, it's a new year you can enter here no problem. Then he saw something on my profile in the Thai Immigration database that confused him so we went to chat with the boss. She was also very nice and couldn't believe my story, but she seemed unsure what to do because of this warning on my profile. She said that since Phuket's initial reason for denying me entry was because they suspected I had fake boarding passes, this was therefore an airport problem and she asked me to go back to Laos and fly into Thailand into Bangkok airport to "clear this" and said after that I would have no more problems. Of course, no information about exactly what I'm "clearing" or how to "clear" it and also no guarantee Bangkok will allow me into Thailand despite her assurances.

After the Suvanabumi Airport immigration asked for 25,000 bribe in December that I politely turned down, I decided to do everything honestly and visit Laos like the Phuket intern girls instructed me (they said Chiang Mai airport is also fine).

But of course this also failed and I'm out $800 in airline tickets so far trying to come back to Thailand since December.

1 hour ago, BusyB said:

But what I can't understand is why poster doesn't go for a Non-O if he wants to visit family ...?

You haven't read the rest of the thread... 

Family doesn't always mean 'legal family'....    I suspect there are lots of guys in Thailand to refer to their significant other (long term girlfriend) and her children as family without any legal stance....  (i.e. unmarried and not a legal guardian of a Thai Child). 

Although, that seems to be a struggle for some to accept this possibility and prefer to interpret that the Op is making up this story.

I think the Op is also under 50 so can't obtain a Non-Imm Op based on retirement. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, siwiek said:

Thanks very much I think you're right. Phuket singled me out for potential fake boarding passes, seems like they do this often from how aggressive they were about these accusations. But in the end, I think they just spited me from losing face. Maybe having a few too many stamp-only entries didn't help my case, but certainly non of their accusations were true (fake boarding passes or not enough money).

Both the visa agency who looked at my profile in the database and Nong Kai immigration couldn't tell me what the note on my profile said exactly. Nong Kai only told me they were confused by it and didn't know what to do. They asked for the entire story and I told them, which I think put this stupid story in their mind that it was an airport problem and I must fly back in, which is not any sort of official immigration policy in Thailand. They had actually already stamped me into Thailand but then panicked after seeing this note on my profile and later decided to cancel my entry stamp and send me back on the bus to Laos, I didn't have to pay again. Laos simply cancelled my exit stamp like you said and I'm now in Laos using my previous 30 day VOA as before.

Can I ask why you suggest Malaysia border? Do you think Savanaket border in Laos might be also possible? Thank you.

I would have applied for a tourist visa straight away. Anywhere. ( Vietnam)

Fly in, maybe Chiang mai if possible, keep boarding pass. Don’t say a word. Have your cash ready in hand to show if mentioned. Leave your phone in your pocket, dress nicely. Ant bother, ask very nicely to see a supervisor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was also carrying an Open 5 Year S.E. Visa (Thai Elite) - so they could have stamped me in on that. 

Alternatively (if I didnt have the S.E. Visa, they could have stamped me in on a Visa Exempt entry for 30 days.

I did not feel sorry at all for the Junior officer, he wanted to be awkward and didn't get away with it.

Forgive me if I misunderstand the situation but you never clarified exactly which visa you had to begin with when returning. I'm assuming you had an extension of stay and probably a re-entry permit based on one type of non-immigrant visa as well as holding a separate Thai Elite visa??

If you did have a valid unexpired re-entry permit and the immigration officer saw that in the computer as well as the stamps in your passport the Junior officer processed you correctly there was no need to dig any deeper. And no, the IO could not stamp you in with a 30 day visa exempt entry under those circumstances.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, ningnong said:

Forgive me if I misunderstand the situation but you never clarified exactly which visa you had to begin with when returning. I'm assuming you had an extension of stay and probably a re-entry permit based on one type of non-immigrant visa as well as holding a separate Thai Elite visa??

If you did have a valid unexpired re-entry permit and the immigration officer saw that in the computer as well as the stamps in your passport the Junior officer processed you correctly there was no need to dig any deeper. And no, the IO could not stamp you in with a 30 day visa exempt entry under those circumstances.

You're looking too hard to justify the actions of the Immigration Officer when his supervisors also pointed out he was wrong.

- I held the Extension of Stay (with multi re-entry permit)...  Valid for 1 further day.

- I held an S.E. Visa (Thai Elite) - Valid for 5 years.

The Immigration Officer saw both and told me I'd have to depart again the following day....   I pointed out the Thai Elite Visa, he didn't care and insisted that I could only be stamped in for 1 day, whether he saw the Non-Imm B extension first or not was irrelevant at this point, he'd made his mind up and was refusing to accept the S.E. Visa (Thai Elite)...  Debate ensured, I asked for supervisors, problem was solved.

Theoretically, with the Visa I have, I can enter Thailand and never have to leave again... I just renew the 5 year Visa every 5 years and go for another extension every 90 days (thats the condition of the S.E. Visa)...  Having pointed this out to the Senior Immigration officer, she agreed that it was ridiculous that I be expected to depart the following day.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You haven't read the rest of the thread... 

Family doesn't always mean 'legal family'....    I suspect there are lots of guys in Thailand to refer to their significant other (long term girlfriend) and her children as family without any legal stance....  (i.e. unmarried and not a legal guardian of a Thai Child). 

Although, that seems to be a struggle for some to accept this possibility and prefer to interpret that the Op is making up this story.

I think the Op is also under 50 so can't obtain a Non-Imm Op based on retirement. 

Most likely no real Thai family.  If there was, then get it legally instead of claiming to have any right to enter.  Past history probably says a lot and likely semi black listed already. Without any details, hard to assist.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Misty said:

The Phuket IO thought there was a fake boarding pass? I understand that the OP did not have a fake boarding pass but am curious: why would someone fake a boarding pass. Is this a thing?

No idea. Then last month a man flew to the US  with no documents at all.

ihttps://www.businessinsider.com/stowaway-passenger-no-ticket-passport-visa-scandinavian-airlines-fbi-airport-2023-12#:~:text=A man flew to the,he landed in LA%3A FBI&text=A man was found traveling,Ochigava with being a stowaway.

Probably a russkie spy never heard anything more about it.