Immigration officer said there's a rule about being in Thailand for no more than 90 days per 6 months on a tourist visa exemption. Is this new?

On 1/13/2024 at 6:17 PM, mokwit said:

Generally this sort of thing only happens to people with no previous posting history on AN.

Should read WITH posting history, as much of it criticises the government/police/immigration. Thai people in genera;. And we know how Thais are with criticism :smile:

On 1/13/2024 at 6:35 AM, rs11 said:

Visa exempt.

He had me sitting next to his desk and pulled it up on his desktop computer.  I didn't think to look at the URL at the time.  It was a page in English.

I had just left Thailand after being here for 3 weeks for a 1 week trip to Korea and then came back to Thailand.  Maybe I should be more careful about coming back so soon?  The way people talk about endless visa runs, I didn't think it would be a problem.

It might be this website.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/thai-visas-americans/#:~:text=American citizens who wish to,is authorized to issue visas.

American citizens who wish to remain in Thailand for longer than 90 days during any six-month period will be required to obtain a valid Thai visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate that is authorized to issue visas. The U.S. Embassy advises all American citizens who wish to obtain a Thai visa to contact the Thai Immigration Bureau for exact visa requirements and regulations. Persons who do not comply with visa regulations risk being denied entry to Thailand at the border.

Edited by radiochaser

On 1/13/2024 at 6:38 PM, rs11 said:

I do have a lot of covid Thai extension stamps in my passport that they were scrutinizing.  I assume they can see all that on their computer, but maybe after I get a new passport, it will be less of a problem.

Your new passport will be linked on their system to your old passport. Immigration now digitise all their records so every officer at immigration can pull your record up onto the screen and look at it. If they are - which I would do, in their position - digitising their old paper records at the same time, your full ten year history could eventually be visible. 

Most tourists do not enter the same country more than once or twice a year. It's very easy to write a quick routine that flags up records which do not follow that pattern. 

On 1/14/2024 at 8:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You're calling me a lair....  I lived it... 

... In July 2020 - entry to Foreigners was only permitted under very specific conditions... the sandbox you mentioned (something I also did a year later) was something that occurred much later when conditions were significantly relaxed,

I had a Non O based on retirement with a valid re entry permit and could not use it to return. After about 8 months out of Thailand I was then advised I could return if I applied for a Non O/A visa which I did.

By the time my application went through the Thai government anounced that Imcould return on my Non O .

I also did the sandbox later.

Agree with you 100% Richard.

On 1/14/2024 at 8:12 PM, Liquorice said:

Nonsense, provided you met the entry requirements for Covid, vaccinated, PCR test, insurance, you could enter VE, TV or a re-entry permit.

The Sandbox was an example.

There was a small window where regardless of the type of visa or your Immigration status, you couldn't enter and that was due to the fact all International flights into Thailand were barred.

Your post is Nonsense. Factually incorrect.

On 1/14/2024 at 8:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You're calling me a lair....  I lived it... 

... In July 2020 - entry to Foreigners was only permitted under very specific conditions... the sandbox you mentioned (something I also did a year later) was something that occurred much later when conditions were significantly relaxed,

Almost all International flights resumed by 31st May 2020, but on a reduced basis.

Entries were then phased and limited to Thais, Diplomats and those married to Thais.
Then followed entry by those with Non Imm visas and those with extensions on retirement with a re-entry permit.

Tourists, those entering VE or a TV were last to be allowed entry.

You obviously tried to enter as a Tourist during the period when tourists weren't permitted to enter.
You simply didn't meet the criteria for entry at the time, you wanted to enter as a tourist.

Had you kept abreast of the entry requirement updates posted by the TAT at the time, you could have saved yourself some time and troubles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This SS is from the page with the "stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry." that is under discussion.  The site is not just "some embassy"......it's MOFA central :

Screenshot2024-01-16at09-06-15QuestionsAnswersonThaiVisa-MinistryofForeignAffairsKingdomofThailand.png.fd57ae3738b576fe8c689548ddcf0e3d.png

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/publicservice/questions-answers-on-thai-visa?cate=5d5bcb4e15e39c30600068d3

Is it saying that it was originally published in 2019 and then reviewed in 2022?

It is often stated that there are plenty of laws in Thailand......but they are not enforced.

If the rule still exists it may still be implemented?

Edited by Enoon

1 minute ago, Enoon said:

This SS is from the page with the "stay of not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry." that is under discussion. The site is not just "some embassy"......it's MOFA central :

Is it saying that it was originally published in 2019 and then reviewed in 2022?

It is often stated that there are plenty of laws in Thailand......but they are not enforced.

If the rule still exists it may still be implemented?

The rule is listed on the link to the MFA site I previously posted.

Apparently this emanated from a regulation posted by Thai Immigration.
Certain sites then suggest this regulation was later rescinded.

Without any existence of either the original regulation or the order rescinding the regulation being available, it just a real concoction of confusion.

I suspect there are IO who never knew of the regulation, those who knew, but don't know it was later rescinded, or the few that are well-informed.

Pot luck which IO you encounter on entry.

This 'rule' only applied to those entering VE as a tourist.
Ironically, if you obtain the METV, you can stay in Thailand for almost 9 months as a 'Tourist'.
(2 border runs, 3 x 30 day extensions).

That takes us back to the old statement of 'getting the correct visa for your purpose/reason of staying in Thailand'.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The rule is listed on the link to the MFA site I previously posted.

Apparently this emanated from a regulation posted by Thai Immigration.
Certain sites then suggest this regulation was later rescinded.

Without any existence of either the original regulation or the order rescinding the regulation being available, it just a real concoction of confusion.

I suspect there are IO who never knew of the regulation, those who knew, but don't know it was later rescinded, or the few that are well-informed.

Pot luck which IO you encounter on entry.

This 'rule' only applied to those entering VE as a tourist.
Ironically, if you obtain the METV, you can stay in Thailand for almost 9 months as a 'Tourist'.
(2 border runs, 3 x 30 day extensions).

That takes us back to the old statement of 'getting the correct visa for your purpose/reason of staying in Thailand'.

:thumbsup:

On 1/13/2024 at 6:27 PM, DrJack54 said:

How did he show this "website" 

Flop out his phone.

There is no such rule regarding max 90 days per 6 months on visa exempt or other type of entry.

He can request an onward flight however that is very rare. 

When were you last in Thailand? 

Your account seems  strange. 

Years ago, it was more than 6 flights inwards in a year on exempt or 6 flights over multiple years with no visa and back to back, they could send you back

On 1/14/2024 at 10:10 AM, GypsyT said:

That rule is stupid! It's a copy of Schengen EU BS.

EU countries loose millions of $$ not allowing wealthy to stay longer.

Same for NZ and Oz. Too old to get a backpacker visa, I had to limit my travel experience in NZ to 90 days. Would have loved to stay longer and spend more money. (Yes, I could have flown all the way to Oz and back for another entry, but I didn't bother.)

And yes, the same applies to Thailand; if it's too bothersome, there's plenty other countries to spend one's money...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every now and then you run into a rogue IO. It happened to me while in country on a METV. I needed one more out and in before my flight home 9 days in the future. He literally thumbed through my passport without taking in any details, got all huffy, declared I was living in Thailand and refused to stamp me out. The truth was I would always spend 6 months at home before returning for some winter months. That was in Ranong in 2018.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Years ago, it was more than 6 flights inwards in a year on exempt or 6 flights over multiple years with no visa and back to back, they could send you back

That was NEVER a rule!

9 hours ago, bbko said:

Foreigners who enter Thailand under this Tourist Visa Exemption category may only do so for 30 days at one time with a maximum of 3 times in a 6 month period by flight and 2 times a year for overland crossing.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must show the documents below at the port of entry: 

• Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family.
  • Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (**otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

Here is where the confusion lies. You can indeed extend all 3 visa exempts with 30 days, so you'll get 60 days x 3. So there isn't any 90 days maximum in 180 days at all.

It's just obviously interpreted that way by some embassies and consulates (this is the first immigration officer I have heard of doing it too), if you don't use the 30 days extensions. 

They don't actually write or tell you that you can extend the 60 days visas within a METV either with 30 days. Just look it up. They don't say. But everyone knows you can do it on every entry.

There is no maximum stay of 90 days in a 180 days period. That is just not a rule they ever enforce, nor does it exist today. Some web sites just haven't deleted it from back to when it was scrapped 15 years ago. Even back then it was very short lived.

Edited by thaibreaker
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:00 PM, richard_smith237 said:

however, training here is very poor and some immigration officers may be stuck on old rules

Are u questioning the impeccable  Thai education system slagged  off in an article yesterday? asking for an  illiterate friend/ alcoholic.

I don't understand the change by Thai seventh coallition Government implementing an authoritarian visa control regime system that essentially makes legal tourists uncomfortable. Since I have a Bank Card and an account in my name which covers all my expenses while in Thailand then whats the problem? I have typed my return ticket to show at immigration and after 10 meters in exit of Suvarnabhumi airport I cancel it.The problem in mine not immigration offices bureaucracy.

On 1/13/2024 at 6:46 PM, rs11 said:

No, I've never had anything other than visa exempt entries, a couple 30 day extensions 7 years ago, and the 1 year of covid extensions more recently.

And what are you doing here? Ever thought of getting a visa that matches your activity?

20 hours ago, mlkik said:

Your post is Nonsense. Factually incorrect.

The second part of the post at least is correct, during covid there was a ban on international flight arrivals, for some time, except repatriation flights.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

No it was never a RULE !!

I told you it was because i got pulled up for it.

6 was the max they stated to me and if it wasn't for the fact that my wife was on the operating table they would have put me on the next plane out of the country.

6 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

6 was the max they stated to me and if it wasn't for the fact that my wife was on the operating table they would have put me on the next plane out of the country.

You getting "pulled up for it" does not make it a rule!!

There never was such a rule

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

There is (or used to be) an alert for IOs after 6 visa exempt entries, meant to signal to the IO that this is a frequent visitor under the visa exempt scheme who needs extra scrutiny.

There was never a hard limit, however, and your example proves just that, as they let you in after you gave them a satisfactory explanation. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

There is (or used to be) an alert for IOs after 6 visa exempt entries, meant to signal to the IO that this is a frequent visitor under the visa exempt scheme who needs extra scrutiny.

There was never a hard limit, however, and your example proves just that, as they let you in after you gave them a satisfactory explanation. 

Thank you for posting this. I remember clearly that this was reported by members in the forum some years ago.

Whether or not this internal procedure of an automatic alert on the immigration official's screen is still in place, in continues to be part of the official's duty to consider whether a foreigner with unusually long time spent in Thailand for the purported reason of tourism may in fact be working illegally in the country. It is always good for a frequent and/or long-term tourist to have a credible explanation available on the  off-chance that he gets questioned.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I had something like this happening to me some years ago, at Suvv airport. They told me kinda the same, i had already been there for over a year on re-entries (yeah good old times ^^).

But his main concern, after a while of chatting and explaining that im married here, he only cared about how i can fincance myself.
Luckily i had lots of reciepts with me. German bank, credit card transfers, Western Union transfers etc etc. So he saw i didnt work here and let me in again.
Didnt work out like that for long anymore though, after 2 more re-entries i got a red stamp, saying "no more" for 1 year or something.

So yeah, i guess it can happen.

Sorry for my interesting name. Still awating change from Thaivisa migration.

Edited by 247174_1469958125

6 minutes ago, 247174_1469958125 said:

But his main concern, after a while of chatting and explaining that im married here, he only cared about how i can fincance myself

Surprised he didn't urge you to obtain non O based on marriage.

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

It is always good for a frequent and/or long-term tourist to have a credible explanation available on the  off-chance that he gets questioned.

I wonder what would be accepted as a credible reason (to a Thai IO)? (Serious question). I have a visa now but back in the day I am glad I never got pulled over, was never sure what the best/worst things were to say, given the unpredictability of (some) IOs.