What's the best brand of frozen chips (french fries)

Given up trying to make decent chips using Thai potatos, tried parboiling, double cooking and triple cooking but impossible to get that crispy outside and fluffy inside so have decided to give the frozen option a try.

What do you reckon is the best brand that comes closest to resembling a decent chip (french fry) and how do you cook them? Air Fry, Oven or Deep Fry.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cardano said:

What do you reckon is the best brand that comes closest to resembling a decent chip (french fry)

OreIda, but I don’t think it’s available here 

For me, Lamb Weston without any doubt.  It's almost like magic the way that the oil on the surface disappears once they're taken out of the fryer.  Crispy, not greasy, light and fluffy every time.

59 minutes ago, MisterTee said:

From my own experience the brands that credibly reference "USA" or "Idaho" on the packaging are the best tasting.

Let me make a wild guess, you are an American?

Frozen fries are made from potato, regardless from where they come.

I only use frozen fries and have tried many brands, including farm frites, and I can taste a significant difference between them that would warrant a 100 or 150% premium price.

So now I take the Aro or the Malaysian ones in the purple bag at Makro, depending on which have the longest fries in the bag

• Agree 1

If you soak the cut potatoes in ice water for an hour, they fry up better. 

Surapon Foods in Kabinburi processed a few brands of frozen, including "Maestro" retail. 

They supply a lot of restaurants and are pretty good. We used to get the occasional 10kg bag at the plant...

I hate those matchstick things that are similar to McDonalds.

I go for sunny day Spicy Wedges - 18 minutes in the air fryer (turn after 9 minutes)

Pretty good.

I buy mine in Tops.

th-3672811417.jpg.4198a3eb39025e2608761892ee43d091.jpg

Edited by Tropicalevo

31 minutes ago, still kicking said:

image.png.9fd3e6801f3d6dd37ecad6df3df43c8f.png

They look very tasty :thumbsup:

I suppose though that you have the benefit of a good spud being in Oz? Hard to make a good homemade chip with most of the potatoes in Thailand. 

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I suppose though that you have the benefit of a good spud being in Oz? Hard to make a good homemade chip with most of the potatoes in Thailand. 

You can you just have to know the tricks I also made them in Thailand 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Keeps said:

There are good potatoes in Thailand, i buy ones from a market and go for the unwashed ones rather than the bigger washed ones you get in supermarkets, look good but aren't, makes good British chips

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Cardano said:

Given up trying to make decent chips using Thai potatos, tried parboiling, double cooking and triple cooking but impossible to get that crispy outside and fluffy inside so have decided to give the frozen option a try.

What do you reckon is the best brand that comes closest to resembling a decent chip (french fry) and how do you cook them? Air Fry, Oven or Deep Fry.

Do you need chips exactly? I roast potatoes instead for the ‘crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside’ experience. Likely quicker, more ‘healthy’ and tastier. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

also a Farm Frites Finest / 10mm fan from Makro

Can't be bothered with making my own, and just not as good anyway.

Another vote for the Makro Farm Frites Finest (the big 10mm+ ones)

• Agree 1

I bought a bag of "HAPPY PRICE" at BigC  (Reduced to 89Baht /Kg) and they cooked up pretty well in the Air Fryer. Had street Party on Saturday and the Thais, and me, Loved em.

Tried loads of different "brands" will stick with these now for sure.

• Agree 1

Considering an air fryer.  Doing it old fashioned with canola oil right now, and am skittish to plunk the cash down on an air fryer for fear of taste being a disaster.  Soak in ice water an hour before air frying, really?  A whole hour??  RIght now, I just fill up the oil basket to the top and cook away immediately.  The basket in the photo looks awfully low.  Is this another issue with air frying, putting in more than one small layer of fries at a time?   Do you have to stop and flip them after half cooking time?  Do you squirt them with a spray of oil first?  What is a pretty-good cost recommendation for a low-cost air fryer, and from which store?  I appreciate all helpful input!  :smile:

?image.png.4e8526bdb3cd39c56251b5b5c35c4b7f.png

11 minutes ago, Sheist said:

Considering an air fryer.  Doing it old fashioned with canola oil right now, and am skittish to plunk the cash down on an air fryer for fear of taste being a disaster.  Soak in ice water an hour before air frying, really?  A whole hour??  RIght now, I just fill up the oil basket to the top and cook away immediately.  The basket in the photo looks awfully low.  Is this another issue with air frying, putting in more than one small layer of fries at a time?   Do you have to stop and flip them after half cooking time?  Do you squirt them with a spray of oil first?  What is a pretty-good cost recommendation for a low-cost air fryer, and from which store?  I appreciate all helpful input!  :smile:

?image.png.4e8526bdb3cd39c56251b5b5c35c4b7f.png

i also put a small cage thing in the airfryer as i cook chicken drumsticks at the same time but yes everything gets turned halfway.

Buy from Lazada, i have Tefal one, check reviews to ensure It's not one of the fake ones. Less than 2k. 

Check YouTube how to cook, i just cut potatoes up, I don't peal, using a bowl slight film of oil on each one, perfect for me