Thai PM hails Thailand as top Airbnb hotspot and UK Telegraph’s 6th best destination this year

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand emerged as the ultimate getaway for Chinese tourists, clinching the top spot on Airbnb‘s coveted list and securing the 6th position in The Telegraph’s must-visit destinations for 2024.

Government spokesperson Chai Wacharonke revealed that Thailand outshone all rivals on Airbnb’s hotel booking platform during the winter season of December 2023 to February 2024.

“Thailand is the most sought-after destination for Chinese travellers, leaving behind Japan, New Zealand, Australia, and others.”

The Airbnb spotlight extends beyond the country level, with five Thai cities securing spots on the list of the top 20 most searched by Chinese tourists globally. Phuket claims the crown, followed by Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, and Pattaya.

Adding the cherry on top, The Telegraph’s prestigious rankings for 2024 place Thailand at a remarkable 6th position. This accolade makes Thailand the sole Asian country to grace the top 20 list. The Telegraph’s distinguished top 10 includes exotic locales like Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada, Bad Ischl and the Salzkammergut in Austria, and the Norwegian ski slopes.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal 

Photo courtesy of TTG Asia

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Government spokesperson Chai Wacharonke revealed that Thailand outshone all rivals on Airbnb’s hotel booking platform during the winter season of December 2023 to February 2024.

I've never used Airbnb. But I've seen a lot of complaints about it, with tacked on costs and overly regulated. Wouldn't a miserable Airbnb experience translate into a miserable Thailand experience if this article is true?

2 minutes ago, SooKee said:

All in condos with signs everywhere saying "No short term rentals - illegal".  Great for the residents too, a constant stream of tourists who don't GAF 

Did you fail reading classes?

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

on Airbnb’s hotel booking platform

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SooKee said:

Try doing some resarch!

I don't need to do any research to know the difference between a hotel and a condo.

The OP is about their HOTEL booking platform, not about what you want to argue about

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/tourism/40034718

Data from U.S.-based vacation rental company Airbnb has Vietnam absent from the list of top 10 favorite winter destinations for Chinese tourists this year, while Thailand now ranks number one.

Japan came second on the list of 20 most searched countries by Chinese tourists for 2023-2024 winter holidays.

The statistics come from searches on the Airbnb platform by mainland China users from Jan. 1, 2023 to Sept. 30, 2023. The searches were for winter outbound stays with check-in dates between Dec. 22. 2023 and Feb. 29, 2024.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/places/vietnam-absent-from-top-winter-destinations-for-chinese-tourists-airbnb-4701652.html#:~:text=Data from U.S.-based vacation,Thailand now ranks number one.&text=Japan came second on the,for 2023-2024 winter holidays.

Not seeing a distinction between hotels and condos in other articles referencing this "data".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

All in condos with signs everywhere saying "No short term rentals - illegal".  Great for the residents too, a constant stream of tourists who don't GAF 

Exactly, whats the logic here?

2 hours ago, eyeman said:

People don't book hotels on airbnb, just like one doesn't buy financial products from people at the bar in Nana...  It may be offered nonetheless.

No doubt the article is referring to the main/original platform and this is a translation error, a quick scan for Bangkok only reveals a few random hotels interleaved in all the other listings.

I would never book anything on a third party site(the mind boggles) but it appears in Chiang Mai  many maneagements ARE using the AirBnB platform to  list their hotels and guesthouses.

I just checked to see if they are offering illegal nuisance rentals in my hondo building here, I do not see any. Mostly hotels. High Season, I do see many short term visitors lately maybe they are owners from BKK, their friends, or maybe farnags dregged using a different platform or method. I wish it would work but people on vacation simply do not behave like residents.

If these holiday makers  would simply follow a few simple rules regarding garbage, smocking and noise there would be no problem at all

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

I've never used Airbnb. But I've seen a lot of complaints about it, with tacked on costs and overly regulated. Wouldn't a miserable Airbnb experience translate into a miserable Thailand experience if this article is true?

The complaints and miserable Thailand experience applies more to the condo owners who have to put up with AirBnB/other short term lets in their building. My building seems to be booked through a Hwala type network.

Edited by mokwit

Thai PM hails Thailand as top Airbnb hotspot and UK Telegraph’s 6th best destination this year

What an achievement, aspirations have been finally met. That's one proud PM.

Edited by klauskunkel

3 hours ago, eyeman said:

No doubt the article is referring to the main/original platform and this is a translation error, a quick scan for Bangkok only reveals a few random hotels interleaved in all the other listings.

So that they can't be accused of supporting illegal breaches of hotel/condo acts.

11 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I want to travel in traditional fashion.

Traditional in relation to what? Horseback... booking everything through a travel agent, booking direct with airlines / hotels. It wont be long before the youth of today refer back to AirBnB as traditional.

what chinese comes here for 30 days, the legal minimum for airbnb

well who am I kidding...  what is the worst that can happen to the owners renting them out ?

brown envelop brigade visit ?

Edited by john donson

Former PM Prayut went bananas over AirBnB, declared it "prohibited by law" and now his successor is promoting the forbidden tourism alternative? Well, have we not seen the very same with Grab Taxi; some years back "legal" cabbies in i.e. Pattaya stopped Grab drivers, pulled passengers out of their cars and gave the Grab drivers a nice shake down - not to be forgotten by the latter. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Former PM Prayut went bananas over AirBnB, declared it "prohibited by law" and now his successor is promoting the forbidden tourism alternative? Well, have we not seen the very same with Grab Taxi; some years back "legal" cabbies in i.e. Pattaya stopped Grab drivers, pulled passengers out of their cars and gave the Grab drivers a nice shake down - not to be forgotten by the latter. 

Consistent with Thailand behing the hub of the grand volte face. Many examples of this and it doesn't bother them a bit .

• Love It 1