What are you cooking today?

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

They don't have that (or I have not seen it) at our Makro  

I always want to write Makro with a "C"  and then I have to go back and correct it. 

anyway, I have not seen that , but I have seen something similar. 

Yesterday when we were there I got the one below. 

Very strange I have never seen that in my Macro - only the one I posted but you never know I have a better look next time - usually ARO brand is the least expensive.💲

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Very strange I have never seen that in my Macro - only the one I posted but you never know I have a better look next time - usually ARO brand is the least expensive.💲

Sometime I think that Makro is centralised ordering, and every so often the central ordering department orders small quantities of a different line and sends it out. If it sells well in a branch it will be reordered, and if it doesn't sell, it will be reduced and never reordered.

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

Sometime I think that Makro is centralised ordering, and every so often the central ordering department orders small quantities of a different line and sends it out. If it sells well in a branch it will be reordered, and if it doesn't sell, it will be reduced and never reordered.

Yea I think they try different products ito see how well they do

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The trick with dough is to have a big mixer, make big batches and freeze single use portions. 

I hear you. Mine is a kitchen aid Artisan  , I brought with me from the States, I forget what size tub, but only big enough for a couple of loves of bread. 

But I do make pizza dough , subdivide it. It gives me enough to make 8 pizzas 10 inch size. 

I put it in a small plastic container like the ones you buy at Makro, and then vacuum seal it   with one of these food saver machines. It lasts for ever

Those vacuum food saver machines are great.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Those vacuum food saver machines are great.  

Agree, and I was busy in the kitchen yesterday, slicing pork steaks from a loin, , breaking down a pack of frozen salmon filets, and re-vacuum sealing.  Making my daily Kefir, cooking cookies, and prepping my pasta salad, all before noon.

Day before wife was on meat pies & sauerkraut.  Me; loaf of bread, flatbread & sausage rolls.  

That's 2 hobbies we have in common, cooking & :coffee1:

Restaurants :cheesy:  ... want things done correctly, DIY

My Natto cooker arrived yesterday (great, another appliance), OK, it's just yogurt/natto/sake cooker, but will make it easier, and frees up the other slow cooker for the 10/18/36 hrs it takes to make.  

Pumping up the K2 intake, good gut bacteria and cleaning those arteries up.  Never too late to start:

... Natto

... Kefir

... Sauerkraut

... eggs

... Salmon

... salami

... cheese

Big pharma can kiss my A$$

Edited by KhunLA

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, and I was busy in the kitchen yesterday, slicing pork steaks from a loin, , breaking down a pack of frozen salmon filets, and re-vacuum sealing.  Making my daily Kefir, cooking cookies, and prepping my pasta salad, all before noon.

I make the vacuum bug, (I am sure you do the same) a lot bigger than it needs to be,so that when I open it, I can take a portion to defrost and re-sheal the same bug. I don't know how I ever lived without the food saver machine. I bought a big bag of hordogs, a year ago, they are still as fresh as the day I bought them. Same with my cheddar cheese . Big block from Makro. sub divide it  and vacuum seal it. I do the same with the Salmon stakes. 

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Day before wife was on meat pies & sauerkraut.

"Where did you get sauerkraut. "   I would love a rubben .

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

My Natto cooker arrived yesterday

Never heard of Natto . I googled it and got a bunch of returns from the Ukraine war, then I noticed that it was 2 Ts :laugh: . 

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I make the vacuum bug, (I am sure you do the same) a lot bigger than it needs to be,so that when I open it, I can take a portion to defrost and re-sheal the same bug. I don't know how I ever lived without the food saver machine. I bought a big bag of hordogs, a year ago, they are still as fresh as the day I bought them. Same with my cheddar cheese . Big block from Makro. sub divide it  and vacuum seal it. I do the same with the Salmon stakes. 

"Where did you get sauerkraut. "   I would love a rubben .

Never heard of Natto . I googled it and got a bunch of returns from the Ukraine war, then I noticed that it was 2 Ts :laugh: . 

She makes the sauerkraut herself, and we need to hit Makro today, since out of cabbage, as I've been having a few forks full with every meal of late, as a side dish,  Along with my daily glasses, full of Kefir.  Drink a batch, make a batch, ready in 24 hrs.

Natto ... they suspect the reason why them pesky Japanese live so long.  Waiting on my spores to arrive from LAZ.   Although same as yogurt, you can make from.

It's almost like a conspiracy, (@ 3:40 of vid), what they tell us not to eat, is actually good for us ... but would rather we be sick and then be dependent on their poison :coffee1:

Seems I was healthier, when I didn't follow their healthy eating advice :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

She makes the sauerkraut herself, and we need to hit Makro today,

I make pile cucumbers, with those small cucumbers we get at Makro. and I made a big jar of pickled jalapenos.  But I never tried to make sauerkraut. 

Does it taste the same as store bought? I will try to make some. 

I will look into the Natto  thing. 

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I make pile cucumbers, with those small cucumbers we get at Makro. and I made a big jar of pickled jalapenos.  But I never tried to make sauerkraut. 

Does it taste the same as store bought? I will try to make some. 

I will look into the Natto  thing. 

Also have a large jar of pickles in rotation.   The sauerkraut is excellent, and easy to make.   Same as pickles and not silly expensive, like store bought pickles.

Natto is available at Makro, location dependent, but not for us locally. Also on LAZ & Shopee. 

On 1/23/2024 at 3:33 PM, swerve said:

I made hummus today.  It's cheap and easy to make if you have a food processor.  Good for dips and sandwiches. I rehydrate dried beans rather than use canned chickpeas.

But do you remove the skins?

I remove them as they affect the eating quality. 
0DD5DF9B-C8C1-4C6A-BBD9-522E79858B0A.thumb.jpeg.eaf336dc9f3daf32388446210bfc83ea.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

@sirineou She likes the sauerkraut so much, she's thinking to stop making kimchi, which she does, but gets eaten so slowly, that it gets too 'strong' before finished.   Not a major problem, as just use in soup, though she enjoy as a separate side.  Making smaller batches doesn't click with her at times.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

@sirineou She likes the sauerkraut so much, she's thinking to stop making kimchi, which she does, but gets eaten so slowly, that it gets too 'strong' before finished.   Not a major problem, as just use in soup, though she enjoy as a separate side.  Making smaller batches doesn't click with her at times.

Speaking of KimChi . I like to make KimChi Jigae soup. So I go a bag of the chopped up Kimchi  (two bags in the package) , and after I tasted it . it was good but had a different texture and tasted a bit different.  So I looked at the other bag and it said Papaya kimchi.  Grrrrr. 

So when we went to Makro  I bought another package of two bag Kimchi.

So a couple of days later I went to make some Jigae  and guess what? D'ohh

Somme I had gotten two more bags of the Papaya Kimchi, so now I am the proud owner of three bags of Papaya kimchi :cheesy:

PS: I love Jigae but it's like a detox for me. a few hrs after I eat it, I sot on the toilet for an hour....:laugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

But do you remove the skins?

I remove them as they affect the eating quality. 
0DD5DF9B-C8C1-4C6A-BBD9-522E79858B0A.thumb.jpeg.eaf336dc9f3daf32388446210bfc83ea.jpeg

I agree,

You can take the skin out with baking soda 

2 hours ago, NextG said:

I made hummus today.  It's cheap and easy to make if you have a food processor.  Good for dips and sandwiches. I rehydrate dried beans rather than use canned chickpeas.

Do you make the pitta bread to go with it - that's easy too

Kefir is sort of like yogurt, but much better, drinking wise.  Though it thickens up quite a bit when chilled.  Kefir just has so much more goodness in it. 

Yield about 3-4 cups from it over night, and enough for wife & myself's daily intake.

On 2/6/2024 at 8:04 AM, KhunLA said:

Natto is available at Makro, location dependent, but not for us locally. Also on LAZ & Shopee. 

Sit corrected, our local Makro does on Natto, 2 brands, though very limited supply, in the freezer case.  Only picked up one 3 serving pack @ ฿70, the other was ฿75.  Both a different brand for the ones I ordered from LAZ, which haven't arrived.

Wanting to sample a couple store bought, before making my own, from both store bought, ready to eat packaged Natto vs making from spores, ordered, and yet to arrive also.

Another topic ... has anyone used Golden Curry products, as Makro had this item (1 kg @ ฿335), and actually cheaper than what's available online: image.png.77c51ee7c3dbf3db6045087fb953f620.png

TIA for any thoughts, pro or con, but YT tells me it's the popular brand in Japan.

43 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Sit corrected, our local Makro does on Natto, 2 brands, though very limited supply, in the freezer case.  Only picked up one 3 serving pack @ ฿70, the other was ฿75.  Both a different brand for the ones I ordered from LAZ, which haven't arrived.

Wanting to sample a couple store bought, before making my own, from both store bought, ready to eat packaged Natto vs making from spores, ordered, and yet to arrive also.

Another topic ... has anyone used Golden Curry products, as Makro had this item (1 kg @ ฿335), and actually cheaper than what's available online: image.png.77c51ee7c3dbf3db6045087fb953f620.png

TIA for any thoughts, pro or con, but YT tells me it's the popular brand in Japan.

I've used several of the S & B curries and like them. 

My wife prefers the Vermont, I like them both. 

I like to make it with ground pork meatballs. 

I also try to give the carrots and potatoes about ten minutes before I add the curry. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I have used, In fact I have some in my refrigerator right now because I only broke off a piece last time 

I use it.  It thickens the broth very nicely. and IMO has a good taste .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I like to make it with ground pork meatballs. 

I stew Australian beef in the pleasure cooker for about 30 minutes, then add potatoes and  carrots  and a few of those small onions after I release the pleasure, and thicken it with the Japanese Curry and it's very good,.

But I never thought of the pork meatballs,  I bet it would be a little like Swedish Meatballs with a extra zing. 

I have to try them. :smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

Yesterday I made Roast pork filet dinner , roast and mashed potato ,cabbage ,carrot ,

swede and parsnip ,which I love but so expensive, import from Oz  ,wish China would do some

or Thailand, and gravy .

Today I made Bubble and Squeak ,with leftovers from yesterday's dinner  ,I always make

more when I make a dinner so I can do bubble and squeak the next day.

regards worgeordie 

• Like 1

I just made some cheese and streaky bacon scones this morning in my air fryer (on its last legs I think)

I over cooked them and I think that the baking powder is well beyond its best before date, as they didn't rise.

I only use baking powder mixed with plain flour because I can't find self raising flour.

11 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I stew Australian beef in the pleasure cooker for about 30 minutes, then add potatoes and  carrots  and a few of those small onions after I release the pleasure, and thicken it with the Japanese Curry and it's very good,.

But I never thought of the pork meatballs,  I bet it would be a little like Swedish Meatballs with a extra zing. 

I have to try them. :smile:

I do spice them a little and brown them a bit in the oven on baking paper before I add them to the curry. A lot of the oil comes out. 

I fry sliced onions, add the carrots, give them about five minutes then add the potatoes and give it another ten minutes then add most of the water and then add the meat. I chop the curry up pretty fine and then add it to the simmering water. 

If I use fresh pork, I just fry it with the onions. 

I have also used chicken once (not recommended) and spicy sausage once in a pinch. I liked the sausage, as did the boy, but the wife not so much. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yesterday I made Roast pork filet dinner , roast and mashed potato ,cabbage ,carrot ,

swede and parsnip ,which I love but so expensive, import from Oz  ,wish China would do some

or Thailand, and gravy .

Today I made Bubble and Squeak ,with leftovers from yesterday's dinner  ,I always make

more when I make a dinner so I can do bubble and squeak the next day.

regards worgeordie 

I do a roast pork loin now and then. I use the same rub on the vegetables as the pork and roast everything together. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

breakfast of the Champions, and an attempt to live forever. 

(Ask me in a couple of years how I am doing)

Kalamata Olives

olives.jpg.32f6f035db2e4af3eb101d76d2e70ab6.jpg

Let me explain, No I did not sore my mind, though I am sure many of you would disagree :laugh:

I found this Import place on Lazada and ordered a five kilo barrel of pitted Kalamata olives (My favorites) 3 kg dry.  1800 BHT

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/greek-kalamata-olives-weight-51-kg-drained-3-kg-i2043716513-s6638602933.html?c=&channelLpJumpArgs=&clickTrackInfo=query%3AGREEK%2BOLIVES%3Bnid%3A2043716513%3Bsrc%3ALazadaMainSrp%3Brn%3A950646094628dfb76e8f37483c6c7aa2%3Bregion%3Ath%3Bsku%3A2043716513_TH%3Bprice%3A1800%3Bclient%3Adesktop%3Bsupplier_id%3A100188525236%3Bbiz_source%3Ah5_hp%3Bslot%3A3%3Butlog_bucket_id%3A470687%3Basc_category_id%3A14984%3Bitem_id%3A2043716513%3Bsku_id%3A6638602933%3Bshop_id%3A1932949&fastshipping=0&freeshipping=0&fs_ab=2&fuse_fs=&lang=en&location=Bangkok&price=1.8E 3&priceCompare=skuId%3A6638602933%3Bsource%3Alazada-search-voucher%3Bsn%3A950646094628dfb76e8f37483c6c7aa2%3BunionTrace%3A2102fcb817074414571344193e95fc%3BoriginPrice%3A180000%3BvoucherPrice%3A180000%3BdisplayPrice%3A180000%3BsinglePromotionId%3A-1%3BsingleToolCode%3A-1%3BvoucherPricePlugin%3A1%3BbuyerId%3A0%3Btimestamp%3A1707441457534&ratingscore=5.0&request_id=950646094628dfb76e8f37483c6c7aa2&review=7&sale=40&search=1&source=search&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3&stock=1

I Love them in a Greek salad , but I am out of Feta cheese, will be going to Makro to get some later. in the meantime I am eating them like popcorn. :smile:

olivesbarrel.jpg.e465fd374cc734a6b12ae244f3b8f0aa.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2024 at 8:25 PM, Negita43 said:

By the way

You guys are killing me with the puffy pastry dough , 

Since I found it, I have gone puffy pastry crazy, I puff pastry everything I can find, and I have gained five pounds :laugh:

28 minutes ago, sirineou said:

By the way

You guys are killing me with the puffy pastry dough , 

Since I found it, I have gone puffy pastry crazy, I puff pastry everything I can find, and I have gained five pounds :laugh:

Yeah, I quit buying it. 

Small Yogurt/Natto/Sake maker, has preset times, 8/18/36 hrs.

Started w/250gr dry beans, yield shy of 500gr Natto.  

Makro soy beans 500gr @ ฿23

Makro Natto three 40gr servings for ฿70 & ฿75 brand dependent.

Edited by KhunLA