Thai Airways flight diverted to Sydney, captain clarifies decision

snoop1130

10 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Should pretty much never criticise a Captain's decision to divert, go-around, delay or any other such action.

Getthereitis or pressure to not incur additional costs has been a major factor in countless accidents. The idiot with the "flying experience" is a complete tool.

Agree 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I know Oz is a big place but that is quite a diversion, hardly surprising fuel was a concern. Could Canberra ever be used?

Actually, its a good decision. Melbourne is several hundred Ks south of Sydney , so were going past it on the way. Canberra Airport is in a hole in the mountains, and if weather is marginal wouldnt be a good choice. Also the airport may not be suitable or the aircraft..

• Thanks 2

Whilst I don't doubt the pilots decision, I wonder if there was a collective effort between all staff at TG to handle this smartly as would be with Singapore Airlines or Emirates, get the operations center to pro-actively reschedule on-wards flights where the airline has responsibility (same ticket number) - talk to passengers if in doubt on suitable arrangements but still allow further change if deemed unsuitable once at MEL, ensure a couple of hundred litres of drinking water prepped at SYD and loaded for the 4 hour delay, unlock the trolleys for soft drinks and snacks, provide timely cabin updates, ensure those with infant children or medical needs have everything they need and so on.

I can empathize with the complainer if they were stuck on the tarmac for 3 hours (not saying that was the case but as an example) with no update or refreshments, that would bring out the Karen/Ken in a lot of people.

A good airline in my book is one that manages the shlt show properly - i.e. when things go wrong they are on top of it. e.g. If missed next leg, walking off the gate, spot a sign, here you go Mr X here's your new boarding pass for your final destination and 20USD voucher for some food. no mega long queue at transit ticket office.

Edited by eyeman

50 minutes ago, Sir Swagman said:

This fellow hasn't any idea of the reason behind the decision to divert. The captain is in charge and that's the end of the story. TG always used to carry far too much fuel going Australia, as they didn't comprehend the Australian rules for minimum fuel required in Australian airspace. They now do, and it is sufficient to allow for a timely decision to be made, in the fairly rare event unforecast weather eventuates at the planned destination.

However.... looking at the actual weather on that day and time, the wind was from the SE and runway 16 has a Cat 111b ILS, allowing for landings with no cloud base and 75m visibility minima. Thai (albeit a long time ago) were never able to maintain certification of the automatic landing capability of the old 747's (no idea if that applies to the aircraft used on this sector), so if a CAT 111b capability existed at Melbourne at the time, vis was reported at or or above 75m (and equipment may not be fully serviceable at the airport of course), it is probably safe to assume the aircraft was not capable, for one reason or another, or the crew were not qualified for such an approach. I think the suggestion that the passenger concerned get his pilots licence and start flying commercial heavy jets, before demonstrating his ignorance, a fairly good one.

This flight was a 5 year old A350-941 so it should have had all the latest equipment. Looks like the captain assesed the situation at Melbourne before diverting to Sydney. There was no go around or missed approach.

image.png.6cf2dd93266b5f764c1d09446093c8b0.png

5 hours ago, Brock said:

Actually, its a good decision. Melbourne is several hundred Ks south of Sydney , so were going past it on the way. Canberra Airport is in a hole in the mountains, and if weather is marginal wouldnt be a good choice. Also the airport may not be suitable or the aircraft..

CBR might not be a CIQ airport (customs and immigration)  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

The reason we have FAA regulations is because they weren't being safe in the first place.  

We have? Who is 'we'?

Don't get me started on National Aviation regulatory requirements and oversight....