Beef steaks - Big C , Makro

Carly SA91

We are from South Africa and are getting married in Phuket , and have rented a villa with a private chef. Any ideas on where we can buy good steaks? Sirloin or Rib eye. Is Big C a good option? Open to all recommendations. 

3 hours ago, Carly SA91 said:

We are from South Africa and are getting married in Phuket , and have rented a villa with a private chef. Any ideas on where we can buy good steaks? Sirloin or Rib eye. Is Big C a good option? Open to all recommendations. 

How many people you need steak for? There are some good options to order and get delivery

8 hours ago, Carly SA91 said:

Sangsee Farm has excellent Thai raised Wagyu Beef for reasonable prices and shipping. Beef is excellent, better than you'll find in the stores.  Col is great to work with and gives excellent customer service. He has a facebook page and you can order through Messenger on line. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Coming from South Africa I think that you are going to be disappointed with the beef - anything decent will probably be very expensive Wagyu or imported from AUS or NZ.

Also, don't get excited about Thai seafood - it is mostly farmed and, although it looks great in the display case, is also sub-par compared to your home catch from the colder Atlantic waters.

I hope that you aren't wine drinkers!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Makro ( the large one in phuket town near central) has Australian an Thai steaks at half the price of villa>( or god forbid Tops) poor choice in Big C
never been let down
never seen a foodland in Phuket
as far as seafood, stick with fish, clams &  local caught shrimp, not those things they call "lobsters"  

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2024 at 8:44 PM, LivinginKata said:

True but real quality imported beef. Australian.

True! - Bought some of that yesterday in Makro. Australian Wagyu steaks, 1kg 740bt- delicious !

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

True! - Bought some of that yesterday in Makro. Australian Wagyu steaks, 1kg 740bt- delicious !

That seems very reasonable - as a per kg price. What cut was that?

I'm a private chef. Feel free to dm for info. It depends where you are and how much you need. If it is just for 1 meal, in general I would say villa market or paleo robbie. Makro Is garbage - average.

Also the chef should be doing this not the client.

we're in Sattahip and found the Makro Australian strip loin was really pretty good. The whole loin was about 1900 Bt but made about 10 thick steaks and my Thai wife who lived in US for 44 yrs said this was best beef she has had here. She is a very picky buying... I've bought flank steak from Villa (was real good) but the Tomahawk and such way above our pay grade...never tried... But also agree with others ask the chef....If he's a good dude he can probably get better cheaper than you trying..

On 1/31/2024 at 6:34 AM, Carly SA91 said:

Is Big C a good option? Open to all recommendations.

Makro use to sell vacuum-packed high quality Australian beef, for example Black Angus – I often buy it and in my opinion it's very tender and good taste – while Tops Supermarket also has (very) high quality beef meet, including Japanese (the price is probably as high as the quality, it's more expensive than Australian beef).

BigC where I live (Samui), cannot compete with Makro and Tops in beef meat quality.

Edited by khunPer
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

To the OP.   I bet you paid a high price for this villa.including private chef.  
This chef should know where and what products to purchase. If this chef does not.  You should question why. And if have time or can get out of it, look for another chef. 
I cannot recommend specifically where to purchase superior beef you are looking for.  But I would stay away from supermarkets such as Big C or Lotus. 

On 1/31/2024 at 12:40 PM, flyingtlger said:

Buy your steaks from El Gaucho in BK and have them sent to Phuket, can't go wrong.....

El Gaucho also has a restaurant in Phuket. I've never eaten there... I'm sure the quality is good, but preparation and cooking have a whole lot to do with the steak, too.

Plus: buying from a restaurant is going to be extremely expensive... Something that doesn't appear to be a problem (reading between the lines, obviously)

On 1/31/2024 at 12:34 PM, Carly SA91 said:

Definitely not Big C or Lotus. You've many good suggestions above. Have fun and Congratulations. I hope you both have a long and fulfilling marriage. Best Wishes.

On 1/31/2024 at 12:34 PM, Carly SA91 said:

With your money I would'nt bother with Big C or Makro, plenty of expat butchers selling quality beef in Phuket.