Court rules Move Forward attempted to topple constitutional monarchy

snoop1130

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

That's the way it is. That's the way it'll stay. Forever. MFP did not have the talent maneuver politically. They put themselves in a trap. Election Commission will follow up and ban the party and Pita. 

Sadly you are correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

As I said before, just like all foreigners , I have no skin in the game, but it strikes me that these wannabe newcomers to the game of Thai politics really should have enlisted the help of an experienced adult if they really wanted to play at the top table. It may have prevented them making such basic elementary  mistakes, twice regarding the issue of share ownership.  They have as much chance of survival as Bambi in the jungle or an unaccompanied newbie venturing into soi 6 alone. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Another dad day for Thailand.  They just trickle out the bad things in small bites like a python in its final act. 

Nah just another day,   neither good nor bad.  business as usual for those involved

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe that the court's decision can be read several different ways. There could be many situations, outside a proposed change to a law, could be decided as unconstitutional. Given the fact that Thailand has had more constitutions than nearly every existing 'democracy' is somewhat humorous in and of itself. In any other situation, a proposed amendment or even an enacted amendment ruled unconstitutional would render the proposal or the newly enacted law null and void. However, in the current situation, there was no overt attempt to void Article 112. There was just an attempt to amend it to make it more humane it its application. How this becomes an act to 'attempt' to overthrow the monarchy remains a mystery to me. However, the court, in its wisdom and findings, should not have left the issue of dissolution to be decided at a later date. If the only finding is to 'cease and desist', then it should be left at that.

Edited by pookiki
grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Assuming by "TAT" you are referring to the Tourist Authority of Thailand I think you are way off the mark,   I don't think many prospective holiday makers give a second thought to the political wranglings here. I know didn't and I doubt you did either before you ventured here for the first time. I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of expats don't care much either except for any possible knock on  effects regarding visa regulations or more recently income tax implications.

The outrage and pearl clutching are the exclusive preserve of a hand full  of bored leftist geriatrics on this forum,  self appointed political commentators  with just too much time on their hands.  And , to a man , all averse to any criticism or opposing views.    

I think if it there are people on the street and protests  or even tanks re appear tourists will not come... But maybe I am the ignorant stupid man.. Future will point out what will happen and to call section 112 a pearl is a sign that you are very outdated

Edited by ikke1959

1 hour ago, ikke1959 said:

I think if it there are people on the street and protests  or even tanks re appear tourists will not come... But maybe I am the ignorant stupid man.. Future will point out what will happen and to call section 112 a pearl is a sign that you are very outdated

Well obviously if there is civil unrest and street riots people will indeed be less inclined to holiday here. in the short term . as once the army have again taken control things will continue as normal   during the "junta years" tourism thrived,  other than for covid but that's a different issue

I didn't think that was what you meant .  I may be mistaken and if so I apologise,  but when you said 

"  Thailand will pay a price for this verdict No TAT can prevent that! 

I thought you were implying that you thought the "image" of Thailand had been damaged to such a degree by these events that even the TAT would not be able to cover it up, resulting in people not holidaying here for "ethical " reasons That would not be the case at all,  people coming here for holidays neither know or care about the everyday political scandals that seem to upset a few on here.      Sorry if i misunderstood you

"to call section 112 a pearl is a sign that you are very outdated"

I'm guessing you are not a native speaker but you can read well enough to see that I didn't even mention section 112,,at all

However I did mention "pearl clutching"   so I'd like to explain to you what it means,      It is actually a slang  term used to describe  people who are or claim to be shocked or outraged at something  considered relatively  unremarkable by the person using the term            Is based on a common reaction to shock or outrage which is generally displayed by delicate, elderly ladies. who have lead very sheltered lives, and as a result are easily shaken by just about anything,  when startled they instinctively reach  with quivering hands  for their pearl necklaces around their necks  for comfort   nobody actually knows why they do this or if in fact they actually do , 

I wasn't targeting the phrase at you personally

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

It was obvious, to all but one

Oh good, I thought I was losing my touch 😉 

Ok, back to getting my decrepit 54 year old body to finish over 300 push-ups before bedtime .....Every bone and joint in my body aches, I hate getting old! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

The party can and most probably will reincarnate, the banning of party execs however may be more problematic for them.

More problematic is that they have not been allowed to win.  They have won already and ridiculous claims that necessary reform is labelled as insurrection and overthrowing a government is the current state of play.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

While the court did not decide whether the reformist party should be disbanded, the ruling is likely to pave the way for subsequent legal efforts to have the party dissolved.

Here we go again, one failed attempt to silence Pita was thrown out, now they want to continue and throw out the whole party.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, keith101 said:

What's next on the agenda a pardon for Thaksin and bring him back as leader of the party to take over as PM

That's Thailand in a nut-shell... backwards

The innocent are found guilty and charged, the guilty are given pardons and allowed to continue in politics.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don’t get why MF went there in the first place as this scenario was always likely to happen. It just chucks the ball in the army’s court (excuse pun). The only way the dinosaur army/elitist political nonsense in this country will change is if Thais en masse get on the streets and boot out this illegal government!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Democracy in Thailand is nothing more than a myth, the sooner the peasants realize this the better. The Elite and Junta are in full control of the Thaitanic, at least until Emperor Xi takes over.

By using the demeaning term “peasants” you automatically put yourself in the Elite category. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2