Thai Airways sues over passenger’s flight diversion criticism

webfact

Tired of answering unreasonable replies . 

In this forum there is a negative knee-jerk reaction  to anything Thai.

I don't think it is because they think these Thai things are bad, but rather that they think they are better. almost 20 years in Thailand and I see it all the time. Thinly veiled!!!

I must have got the " why can't someone complain, it would help them improve" 20 times. 

No one said you can't complain. You can say " I flew X air and i did not like the food" 

But you can not say  "I flew X air and the food was so bad it will poison you"  unless you have evidence. 

One is a subjective complaint, the other is a  libelous statement. 

The person. perhaps at a joint news conference should apologise, saying that he/she did not realise it was a safety procedure  and I am sure Thai air would drop the whole thing.  

It just happened to me with Emirates in Dubai , storm created a backlog and we were forced to divert until a lading slot became available.  They probably did not have enough fuel reserves to circle . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Spot on. Simple public relations which should be the core competency of a service-oriented business.

And reach out to the customer, who it appears is a TG FF, and explain the details. Apologize for the delay/diversion, offer a diversion certificate (probably already done) and ask for their understanding of the details. And ask them to post a follow-up. WIn-Win-Win.

Threatening to sue a customer should never be an option.

People say stupid things every day, just look at this board. You don't see everyone threatening so sue each other.

I think that the escalation and poor response to this incident was exacerbated by the Pilot/Captain's huge Facebook following/page.

https://www.facebook.com/p/กัปตันไฟซอล-บิน-กิน-เที่ยว-Captain-Faisal-100044277511744/

Is Captain Faisal an official "influencer" for TG? Many airlines have them Most now specifically prohibited by social media guidelines from posting pictures in uniform or using company. You are responsible for what you post.

Always been against company policy in joints I know of to say ANYTHING to media. One deflects any inquiries to the relevant department. Even before social media appeared where big players have teams of trolls monitoring internet and responding immediately to  tweets and negative comments. It actually is the best way to get in touch with US airlines quickly now.

The comment made on line anf within Australia let’s hope they commence action in an Aus court so we can watch the case being thrown out and these idiots walking out with their tails between their legs.

fragile inept egos may be protected in Thailand but not elsewhere 

Edited by Reigntax
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mostly agree...     there is a knee jerk reaction by some to anything Thai and we see this time and time again on this forum...   But, there are also negative comments which when not shrouded in racism, bigotry and unfounded bias carry much reality. 

Personally, I see it as a real shame that Thai Airways has lost its 'sparkle' and is not the airline it once was. 

I put that down to poor management, I think many of us to. 

But, in this case, IMO there is no valid criticism of the Pilots actions whatsoever... BUT... I do have criticism in the manner in which Thai airways have responded to that criticism, which as added negative publicity to their already wilting image. 

This response by Thai Airways also indicates the very attitudes within the organisation that contribute towards its diminishing rankings as an airline. 

when was it good? when was it competitively priced from the UK? i would have liked to fly thai, but it was always expensive, and i'm talking the last 20 odd years...

9 hours ago, Nordic summer said:

It was very disrespectful of this passenger to publicly voice his opinion, given that he/she/they most certainly don't have a clue as to what it takes to plan and execute such a flight in a responsible manner.

Myself having had the privilege of being a passenger of Thai Airlines, is left with a bad taste in my mouth just reading about it:bah:

Some(westerners) will say the airline displays an"fragile ego" by instigating this lawsuit, but please take a moment to compare the service and attention that you receive while traveling with Thai Airlines to ANY European company.

They work very hard to provide a pleasant experience for their passengers and I am sure they are very proud of their prowess, so it should come as no surprise that this company got upset about this passenger's outburst.

Wouldn't know as they are consistently the highest price on my routes do I dont use them. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

- After your flight was diverted you posted that  the fog was not enough in your opinion to divert the flight.

> Interesting that you think your opinion is better than that of an Airline Pilot and FAA regulations.

- You mentioned that you've been on flights where there was snow and cross winds which made landing challenging.

> Interesting that you think you could judge the pilots visibility out of a passenger window and know exactly what landing aids the pilots had specific to that aircraft and airport.

- You think Thai Pilots are pussies and Thai Airways spineless.

> Bigoted comment that simply highlights a negative bias and outs your opinion as uneducated and prejudice. 

So Nope......  We're not going to go at it again...  I just can't be bothered with being dragged down to the level of an unintelligent bigoted fool.

here we go again richard smith the sherlocks of AN always flaming and trolling members to make his ego feel inflated so that he can go to bed feeling like... well i dont know what... a troll i guess

I just can't be bothered with being dragged down to the level of an unintelligent bigoted fool.

dont be so hard on yourself... no one is doing that to you. you are doing a great enough job by yourself.

and the flight i was on to udon thani got close enough to the runway that it was clear enough to see that the fog was overhanging the runway above the plane.

here, these are the flights i was on. my friends the captains took the videos

your welcome

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mostly agree...     there is a knee jerk reaction by some to anything Thai and we see this time and time again on this forum...   But, there are also negative comments which when not shrouded in racism, bigotry and unfounded bias carry much reality.

No one will argue with you that there are no negatives in Thailand, there are plenty, I will not go out of the car until the wife is quoted a price,or the price is posted.  otherwise I will be overcharged. 

But let's be fair. There are plenty of positives. I love Thailand, and the Thai people, are there a-holes? sure there are,!What country does not have them. Often I might be one. 

Not this constant knee-jerk reaction. I have flown Thai air many times and Thai smile domestically 2-3 times a year.  Thai used to be a great airline, they had their challenges lately but they are trying. Thai smile. Is fabulous, I will fly no one else. 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Personally, I see it as a real shame that Thai Airways has lost its 'sparkle' and is not the airline it once was. 

I put that down to poor management, I think many of us to. 

I agree there also. I think the bankruptcy knock them into left field, and they made too many cuts to get back up. But there was a time that they were one of the top 5 airlines. 

I think some of what happen is part of trying to get back. I have not flown with them since covid, and a fear good reports from some that have. I hear they are starting a direct flight to Istanbul perhaps I will try then this summer when we go to Greece. 

16 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

Actually... The man who posted the initial comment retracted it and issued an apology for his misunderstanding. So in doing so it would not damage the reputation of the company. In fact it would make the company look good to its customers. Now though, by showing that they will prosecute for slander makes the company look so bad. 

The article should had mentioned 

I am sure then that him and Thai airline will work this thing out of court. 

6 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

here we go again richard smith the sherlocks of AN always flaming and trolling members to make his ego feel inflated so that he can go to bed feeling like... well i dont know what... a troll i guess

dont be so hard on yourself... no one is doing that to you. you are doing a great enough job by yourself.

and the flight i was on to udon thani got close enough to the runway that it was clear enough to see that the fog was overhanging the runway above the plane.

here, this are the flights i was on. my friends the captains took the videos

your welcome

OK - you know better than FAA certified pilots and FAA regulations because you have a YouTube Video of a landing.... and Thai Pilots are pussies...   

As I wrote - I'm going going to argue at your level.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I wrote - I'm going going to argue at your level.

richard... you shouldnt be going going to argue with me... you should be going going gone 

those are just 2 videos that show that thai pilots are pussies... search youll find more... and the main argument here remains that the airline is a bunch of cry babies for suing some poor guy who might have very valid reasons for complaining... but was bullied under threat of bein sued

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

diverted flight happened to me once on the way to a border run to laos. sure, there was some fog but not enough in my opinion to divert the flight. i have been on flights in canada where there was snow falling, and the winds made visibility a bit challenging to land. the pilots nailed it. me thinks thai pilots are pussies and thai airways? pretty spineless if you ask me. for the last 3 years, in canada, airways are being put through the ringer for everything from flight delays to lost luggage.

You don’t say exactly what the airports ILS systems are and if they are CATIII airports along with the training of the pilots in using CATIII ILS along with if the planes are certified and equipped with the technology. In Canada, almost certainly the pilots didn’t nail, it the plane did and landed itself. In Thailand and Laos it’s very unlikely that the airports are equipped with the zero visibility technology because the virtually never need it. So uneducated much???

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

The comment made on line anf within Australia let’s hope they commence action in an Aus court so we can watch the case being thrown out and these idiots walking out with their tails between their legs.

fragile inept egos may be protected in Thailand but not elsewhere 

damn dude... thanks for the clarification. i wonder if thai defamation claims made outside thailand have a leg to stand on... thanks again

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You don’t say exactly what the airports ILS systems are and if they are CATIII airports along with the training of the pilots in using CATIII ILS along with if the planes are certified and equipped with the technology. In Canada, almost certainly the pilots didn’t nail, it the plane did and landed itself. In Thailand and Laos it’s very unlikely that the airports are equipped with the zero visibility technology because the virtually never need it. So uneducated much???

Exactly... he has no idea what he's discussing...    

He has no idea of the FAA regulations... 

Its more complex than this.. and some regulations vary according to airport and aircraft, but generally, for an airliner if the visibility is less than 550m the landing must be made by autopilot....

So in his videos, either the visibility was greater than 550m or it was an autopilot landing.

If Thai Airways couldn't land due to low visibility and circled, its because ATC instructed them to do so...  then range became an issue hence the decision to divert.

So.. No criticism of the Pilots actions whatsoever. BUT, every criticism of Thai Airways' response to the criticism which simply should have 'just been ignored'....    Idiots are easily ignored, just as I'm ignoring one in this thread.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

It would NOT have been the pilot's decision to divert to Sydney, that decision would have been made by Airservices (Australian Air Traffic Control) and the pilot would have had no choice but to adhere to that decision. What needs to be ascertained is whether or not the pilot made an announcement about the diversion and why. If an announcement was made then the passenger was obviously not paying attention.

Additionally what could the passenger actually be sued for? Surely not defamation, but TIT.

Sorry. Wrong . Airsevices does NOT have the authority or ability to "Close" an airport.

Only the owners of that airport have that authority.

Pilots ultimately make their own decisions whether to proceed or divert, with the assistance of advice on current and prognoses of weather, and their company.

This is the international "rule" / procedure these days....not like 50 years ago!

(I have 40+ years of  experience in this field)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

do i have to? really? if the airlines are too cheap to equip their planes with the best available safety technology to guarantee the safety of their passengers then that belongs to them. so, ignorant much?

sorry... what does 'so uneducated much' mean? did you get that on chat gpt? if not... consider using it

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Exactly... he has no idea what he's discussing...     

geez richard... that argument wins it all the time. too bad you are uneducated much to the point of letting others attempt win arguments you cant. skirt... hiding?

get some popcorn and watch the videos i posted

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Sorry. Wrong . Airsevices does NOT have the authority or ability to "Close" an airport.

Only the owners of that airport have that authority.

Pilots ultimately make their own decisions whether to proceed or divert, with the assistance of advice on current and prognoses of weather, and their company.

This is the international "rule" / procedure these days....not like 50 years ago!

(I have 40+ years of  experience in this field)

It would have been ATC who the flight in a holding pattern...  as highlighted by the flight radar on BKKBike09's post on page 4.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 14.42.17.png

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, bbko said:

So you won't book with them cause they are taking legal action and then talk about fragile egos? Oh the irony 😆

Yes. I won't either, in protest of this action. While I did read the passenger's FB post and didn't necessarily agree with all of it, I think if he wants to vent, let him. Companies suing their guests/customers (passengers in this case) for giving an opinion provides a very dangerous precedent. No way a similar post would result in such actions in the USA, but then again, the US doesn't have draconian anti-free speech laws like Thailand does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Yes. I won't either, in protest of this action. While I did read the passenger's FB post and didn't necessarily agree with all of it, I think if he wants to vent, let him. Companies suing their guests/customers (passengers in this case) for giving an opinion provides a very dangerous precedent. No way a similar post would result in such actions in the USA, but then again, the US doesn't have draconian anti-free speech laws like Thailand does.

USA gives massive payouts for defamation. Look at that Mayor Rudi. That doesn't happen in other countries.

48 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No one will argue with you that there are no negatives in Thailand, there are plenty, I will not go out of the car until the wife is quoted a price,or the price is posted.  otherwise I will be overcharged. 

But let's be fair. There are plenty of positives. I love Thailand, and the Thai people, are there a-holes? sure there are,!What country does not have them. Often I might be one. 

Not this constant knee-jerk reaction. I have flown Thai air many times and Thai smile domestically 2-3 times a year.  Thai used to be a great airline, they had their challenges lately but they are trying. Thai smile. Is fabulous, I will fly no one else. 

I agree there also. I think the bankruptcy knock them into left field, and they made too many cuts to get back up. But there was a time that they were one of the top 5 airlines. 

I think some of what happen is part of trying to get back. I have not flown with them since covid, and a fear good reports from some that have. I hear they are starting a direct flight to Istanbul perhaps I will try then this summer when we go to Greece. 

If you speak fluent Thai like me or you go shopping at malls and supermarkets, you never have to worry about being ripped off, except at dual pricing venues. Therefore, I don't think you need to be particularly concerned and can get out of the car when your wife does and/or change your shopping habits. In Thailand, markets sell produce that is arguably less safe than what supermarkets sell.

The THAI flight to Istanbul began on December 1, but you've been able to fly twice or thrice daily to Istanbul on Turkish Airlines for years.

2 hours ago, Valdorf said:

This news made it to the headlines and people who saw this (of course not all but at least some people ) including the original poster will actually THINK AND CHECK before letting their rage out into the www.

I wish I could behave the same way Thai did sometimes as it would seriously reduce the amount of idiots in my proximity. The problem is that it costs money and I don't consider cases happening in my life worthy of spending 25k (this is what my lawyer said he would charge me) just to file a defamation lawsuit.

so you want to be able to punish people who say things that hurt your feelings. Just like a little boy. That's everyone's point about what a fragile ego is. This is exactly what we're talking about.

2 minutes ago, uttradit said:

USA gives massive payouts for defamation. Look at that Mayor Rudi. That doesn't happen in other countries.

Yes but not very likely to go to court in the context of a passenger giving his or her opinion of a flight. 

Defamation cases in the US are usually politically motivated and high profile. They're not fragile snowflakes like Thais/Thai corporations are, who will sue anyone making even a slightly negative remark.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would have been ATC who the flight in a holding pattern...  as highlighted by the flight radar on BKKBike09's post on page 4.

so now mr smith is a wanna be air traffic controller. good on you dude

• Confused 1