House Restaurants in Bangkok

webcrawler00

So you are more into the furniture than the food? Baan Khanita could be what  you are looking for. But it will break the bank. Two branches the original is on Sathorn. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

I searched "house restaurant Bangkok" and lots of choices came up.

I'm sure the Op is overwhelmed at the helpfulness of this response.. 

8 hours ago, Chungju said:

Thon Krueng in Thonglor area has exellent food. The downstairs inside has nice house atmosphere, so make sure to book that if you go because the upstairs (both inside and outside) don’t have the same feeling.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/gGXTcSPcSrcNQJj5A?g_st=ic

Very good food there..... I preferred it when it was on the corner of Thonglor Soi 13 thought. 

Another very good Thai Restaurant is Sabai Jai Gai Yang on Ekammai...   its single story, with a larger area out the back but perhaps lacks the 'cosy' house feel the Op seems to be after. 

Another obvious mention is the Blue Elephant on Sathorn, which is in a somewhat grandiose house, Thai food is directed more towards western tastes and prices are 'higher end'....

There is also Sri Trat on Sukhumvit 33 (north end) which has some what of a traditional Thai feel to it (once inside) - food is some of the best Thai food in Bangkok. 

Wouldn't a 'house restaurant' be just about every ma/pa shophouse where the restaurant is on the ground floor w/tables & chairs and they probably live upstairs or behind.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Wouldn't a 'house restaurant' be just about every ma/pa shophouse where the restaurant is on the ground floor w/tables & chairs and they probably live upstairs or behind.

You'd technically be correct...  or it could be called a 'shop house' restaurant etc... 

But the Op gave the impression that he was after something a little more 'quaint' with a homey atmosphere...   

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You'd technically be correct...  or it could be called a 'shop house' restaurant etc... 

But the Op gave the impression that he was after something a little more 'quaint' with a homey atmosphere...   

That's about as vague as one can get.  Matches the OP lack of description.  

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:
45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's about as vague as one can get.  Matches the OP lack of description.  

True...    The op mentioned 'converted house' and 'homey atmosphere'...   

So I assumed he means something more like this... 

Screenshot2024-02-04at09_42_16.png.56ecc1fa1dd5eb9817072149f91ec753.pngScreenshot2024-02-04at09_42_08.png.5a041cb65e32e466c27ac99628382ef7.pngScreenshot2024-02-04at09_42_01.png.6a2738d8b2f76cb9ceaf875e6b7ee08b.png

...than something like this...

Screenshot2024-02-04at09_42_32.png.73359322fa144771344fc1010b3fa2bc.pngScreenshot2024-02-04at09_42_24.png.563af8aebbd5b779cff5acec36e73dab.png

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

True...    The op mentioned 'converted house' and 'homey atmosphere'...   

So I assumed he means something more like this... 

Screenshot2024-02-04at09_42_16.png.56ecc1fa1dd5eb9817072149f91ec753.pngScreenshot2024-02-04at09_42_08.png.5a041cb65e32e466c27ac99628382ef7.pngScreenshot2024-02-04at09_42_01.png.6a2738d8b2f76cb9ceaf875e6b7ee08b.png

...than something like this...

Screenshot2024-02-04at09_42_32.png.73359322fa144771344fc1010b3fa2bc.pngScreenshot2024-02-04at09_42_24.png.563af8aebbd5b779cff5acec36e73dab.png

Yea, and example of one that he/she liked already would have helped.

I like the smaller vendors/shophouse or detached, though hard to make a profit with <10 tables at detached house.  Small enough so you can chit chat to the owner if wanting.  

When stated 'house restaurant', I thought 'homestay' w/extended restaurant.   Then I Google, and got all kinds of different versions.

Oh well ... :coffee1:

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Only if you're on a tight budget. Otherwise I think it's pretty clear what the OP wants, ie. a nice free-standing house that's been converted to a proper restaurant.

Went to one in Chiang Mai many moons ago, it was quite nice but I forgot the name already.

22 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Only if you're on a tight budget. Otherwise I think it's pretty clear what the OP wants, ie. a nice free-standing house that's been converted to a proper restaurant.

Went to one in Chiang Mai many moons ago, it was quite nice but I forgot the name already.

Maybe to you, but I never heard expression before, and still vague.  I get the quaint & homey part, but the suggestions, not so quaint or homey.

Match the wide range on Gmaps that I got.

On 2/4/2024 at 1:54 PM, KhunLA said:

Yea, and example of one that he/she liked already would have helped.

I like the smaller vendors/shophouse or detached, though hard to make a profit with <10 tables at detached house.  Small enough so you can chit chat to the owner if wanting.  

When stated 'house restaurant', I thought 'homestay' w/extended restaurant.   Then I Google, and got all kinds of different versions.

Oh well ... :coffee1:

I understood perfectly well what both meant.

A restaurant in a lovely Thai old home. Not a scintilla of doubt in my mind what was being discussed.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 6:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Looks good. Not exactly Thai food! Note the bill you get will add 7% vat and 10% service charge to the menu prices shown on the website.

44 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Looks good. Not exactly Thai food! Note the bill you get will add 7% vat and 10% service charge to the menu prices shown on the website.

I agree, I kind of forgot about the Thai food bit.. the place itself is probably one of the nicest 'house restaurants' in Bangkok.

Best Thai food itself (IMO) is probably Sri Trat that I mentioned, but then the compromises is on the 'homey & quaint' part.

The 7% + 10 % add on is pretty much par for the course at the majority of decent restaurants in Bangkok these days... 

....unless eating at the places KhunLA considers 'homey and quant'...  in which case there may be an extra charge if you ask them to turn on the AC... :giggle:

On 2/4/2024 at 2:14 PM, Lemsta69 said:

Guess you never been to Chinatown, as some of those ma/pa shophouses with a Q out front are charging some hefty prices for soup or noodles.

Hear you can even pay 1000+ baht for a simple crap omelet at some hole in wall, but got one of those 'stars' on the wall.

I get an excellent crab omelet down the road for 60 baht.  I guess I could order 15 of them, and still have a Mojito and maybe still walk away with change.

Pay what you want, but I can find good food anywhere, and chit chat with the chef if wanting ... quaint & homey.  While looking at the surf across the street. image.png.4a698f4efc40803310cd26909ead5ef9.png

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Guess you never been to Chinatown, as some of those ma/pa shophouses with a Q out front are charging some hefty prices for soup or noodles.

Hear you can even pay 1000+ baht for a simple crap omelet at some hole in wall, but got one of those 'stars' on the wall.

I get an excellent crab omelet down the road for 60 baht.  I guess I could order 15 of them, and still have a Mojito and maybe still walk away with change.

Pay what you want, but I can find good food anywhere, and chit chat with the chef if wanting ... quaint & homey.  While looking at the surf across the street. 

When someone makes a thread about shark-fin soup and dumplings, you'll know exactly where to recommend then... 

Jai Fai is the Michelin star place you are referring to.... and no, for 60 baht you wont get anything close to the Crab Omelette which made that restaurant famous - the cost of the Crab Claw meat used is significantly greater.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When someone makes a thread about shark-fin soup and dumplings, you'll know exactly where to recommend then... 

Jai Fai is the Michelin star place you are referring to.... and no, for 60 baht you wont get anything close to the Crab Omelette which made that restaurant famous - the cost of the Crab Claw meat used is significantly greater.

And yet my photo of crab & eggs, is only 60 baht.  Pretty sure 3 of those would have just as much crab & eggs as Jai Fai, and probably taste damn close ... it is only crab & eggs and some seasoning.

And I wouldn't have to Q up for an hour or 3, and can gaze out across the street at the surf.  

We have choices ... UP2U   But no crab & egg dish is worth 1000 baht or waiting for.

"There's one born every minute" ... comes to mind.

Edited by KhunLA

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And yet my photo of crab & eggs, is only 60 baht.  Pretty sure 3 of those would have just as much crab & eggs as Jai Fai, and probably taste damn close ... it is only crab & eggs and some seasoning.

Have to make a correction, not damn close, but much better, as I like my omelet / eggs loose, not overcook, as I consider hers are: image.png.5942b349eaa1db38a8959397f2fd30bc.png

And having enough baht left over for lunch & dinner would be plus, in my world.

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And I wouldn't have to Q up for an hour or 3, and can gaze out across the street at the surf.  

We have choices ... UP2U   But no crab & egg dish is worth 1000 baht or waiting for.

Yeah, I'm sure the fancy restaurants beat their eggs to oblivion, cook in palm oil, use low end and semi ripened Roma tomatoes, old onion and fake crab mixed with body and claw crabmeat 🥇👍 🙄

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Pay what you want, but I can find good food anywhere, and chit chat with the chef if wanting ... quaint & homey.  While looking at the surf across the street. image.png.4a698f4efc40803310cd26909ead5ef9.png

I doubt this omelette was b60 tbh. I think even mishandled Thai backfin is about 450 half kg

12 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

I doubt this omelette was b60 tbh. I think even mishandled Thai backfin is about 450 half kg

And yet, somehow I've eaten the same omelet and only been charged 60 baht ... :coffee1:

That's the difference between actual personal experiences, and BS from people who haven't a clue what they are posting ...

image.png.f033ccdc08517efcac29989e54b6b56b.png

image.png.682f6d057815352008ca1388ba373f9d.png

That's the best looking & tasting fake crabmeat I ever had :coffee1:

They don't buy crabmeat, they catch it themselves.  Funny how some fishing folks do that when they live surfside with their boats.

image.png.cc085bc27d457c3bbdafcd73b497a666.png

Edited by KhunLA

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

OK.. so you're a cheap Charlie who believes you know better than the Michelin inspectors... 

... who'd have thought it...  here on this very forum, a man of such esteemed distinction.....

Its always the same...  laymen of limited *education believe they know better than the experts because they believe they can cook for themselves and do better).

(*in this context I'm not referring to academic education, but culinary education).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Have to make a correction, not damn close, but much better, as I like my omelet / eggs loose, not overcook, as I consider hers are: 

You believe you cook better food than that served in a Michelin stared eatery...   a brilliant show of hubris... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And yet, somehow I've eaten the same omelet and only been charged 60 baht ... :coffee1:

That's the difference between actual personal experiences, and BS from people who haven't a clue what they are posting ...

You won't even get the prime crab meat that goes in the Jai Fai omelette for 60 baht !!!... not even close, you may get some other crappier parts of a mud-crab for 60 baht in your local 'mom & pop' shophouse restaurant. 

Knowing that difference is the actual difference between someone engaging in reverse-snobbery and those who have a clue...  

44 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK.. so you're a cheap Charlie who believes you know better than the Michelin inspectors...  for themselves and do better).

Far from it, but I know a good value when I see & eat one.  I've also bought lump & claw meat, actually the whole crab, picked at Central Markets, @ 600 baht a kg (if memory serves), and some time ago.   Don't offer any more, or haven't seen lately, but damn tasty.   Expensive little treat, but well worth it for me.  Better offerings than the food court :coffee1:

My daughter found some the other day, and the little bi-atch just had to send me a snap of.   Decent price also.image.png.3adf6fc63b4a27a27569daa3f86aa660.png

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You believe you cook better food than that served in a Michelin stared eatery...   a brilliant show of hubris... 

Didn't state that did I ?

I stated I like my eggs loose, so yes, my omelet would taste better to me.  Other may like their eggs overcooked.

Think French omelet, and have you ever seen one with an egg crust ? :coffee1: 

Taste is preferential, so experts/food critics, don't really mean anything to me.  I've disagreed, and agreed with many.  Nothing but an opinion, and not based on science.

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You won't even get the prime crab meat that goes in the Jai Fai omelette for 60 baht !!!... not even close, you may get some other crappier parts of a mud-crab for 60 baht in your local 'mom & pop' shophouse restaurant. 

Knowing that difference is the actual difference between someone engaging in reverse-snobbery and those who have a clue...  

Lump crab meat, along with the claw is pretty much what most people prefer.   Did you look at the photo ?

Nothing snobbery about that, just mine and most other's preference, I think.   Stand to be corrected ... is their anyone here who would not prefer lump and claw meat of the crab over ... the pickins ?

Think I've eaten enough crab meat to know what I'm talking about.

Far from it, but I know a good value when I see & eat one. 

No you don't...   you just think you do.....  You've reaffirmed that with most of your comments... 

Think I've eaten enough crab meat to know what I'm talking about.

You also think you know more than the Michelin Inspectors !!...  and a 60 baht crab omelette at your local shop is better than one which is internationally famed at a restaurant that has been awarded with a Michelin star...   

Sure, you know exactly what you are talking about !!! :clap2:

• Haha 1