Former CIA Hacker Joshua Schulte Sentenced to 40 Years for Massive WikiLeaks Data Breach

Social Media

image.png

Former CIA officer Joshua Schulte has been sentenced to 40 years in prison for his role in leaking classified hacking tools to WikiLeaks and possessing child abuse images. The sentencing comes after Schulte was found guilty of the charges at three separate federal trials in New York in 2020, 2022, and 2023.

Schulte, 35, was accused of leaking the CIA's "Vault 7" tools, a collection enabling intelligence officers to hack smartphones and use them as listening devices. The leak, described by prosecutors as one of the most "brazen" in US history, involved sharing 8,761 documents with WikiLeaks in 2017, constituting the largest data breach in the CIA's history.

Despite denying the allegations, Schulte was convicted on various counts, including espionage, computer hacking, contempt of court, making false statements to the FBI, and possession of child abuse images. US Attorney Damian Williams stated, "Joshua Schulte betrayed his country by committing some of the most brazen, heinous crimes of espionage in American history."

Evidence presented during the trial revealed that Schulte worked as a software developer in the Center for Cyber Intelligence, engaged in cyber espionage against terrorist organizations and foreign governments. Motivated by workplace disputes and anger, he transmitted stolen information to WikiLeaks in 2016, causing significant damage to national security, according to prosecutors.

The leak immediately compromised the CIA's ability to gather foreign intelligence, putting personnel, programs, and assets at risk and costing the agency hundreds of millions of dollars. WikiLeaks began publishing classified data from the files in 2017, further amplifying the impact of Schulte's actions.

During the investigation, the FBI found Schulte had lied to agents about his involvement. Subsequent searches of his apartment uncovered tens of thousands of images of child sexual abuse materials. Even after his arrest in 2018, Schulte attempted to transmit more information from jail, smuggling in a phone and trying to send a reporter details about CIA cyber groups.

The sentencing marks the culmination of a high-profile case that exposed the extent of Schulte's betrayal, resulting in severe consequences for both national security and his personal freedom.

Source

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You do realize, what criminal activity the whistleblowers expose.   Unless you don't mind the gov't agencies spying on you without your permission, or legal processes guaranteed in the 4th Amendment.

This is inconsequential to the issue at hand. He took a bullet for his country. and for that we should be thankful. Perhaps a future president would pardon him, and if he was I would be very happy.

As I said, if the law is not good, it should be changed, but until it is ,it's the law, 

There was no choice  than that he was prosecuted, and if what he was found guilty of was true ,that he is convicted. 

No choice at all regardless of our disappointment. 

And if what the goverment is doing is crim inal under the existing laws, and what he exposed is true, (and I believe it is)  then the criminals in the goverment should also be prosecuted.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I’m of two minds.. I agree that legitimate “whistle blowing” is a good thing as it can often uncover misdeeds that otherwise wouldn’t be uncovered or take much longer to discover and potentially cause much more harm.. and legitimate whistle blowing should continue to be legally protected…

On the other hand, I am ALSO of the mindset that deliberate disclose of legitimate state secrets - and yes, I do believe that state entities can and do have legitimate secrets that deserve legal protection- should be a crime and punished severely.

So, I guess where is the line between the two - when does otherwise legitimate whistleblowing become espionage or disclosure of protected state secrets?

Edited by new2here
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, new2here said:

I’m of two minds.. I agree that legitimate “whistle blowing” is a good thing as it can often uncover misdeeds that otherwise wouldn’t be uncovered or take much longer to discover and potentially cause much more harm.. and legitimate whistle blowing should continue to be legally protected…

On the other hand, I am ALSO of the mindset that deliberate disclose of legitimate state secrets - and yes, I do believe that state entities can and do have legitimate secrets that deserve legal protection- should be a crime and punished severely.

So, I guess where is the line between the two - when does otherwise legitimate whistleblowing become espionage or disclosure of protected state secrets?

Maybe... as in this case... what they expose is proven to be illegal and immoral... especially when it is big government 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, stargrazer9889 said:

I am curious , in what year was the 4th ammendment written?

Way back when they hung people who willfully blabbed the nations secrets 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Always curious how someone is found with tens of thousands of child abuse images but their internet server provider didn't see this before the indictment....

Especially when the perp is an IT hacker completely unable to hide is IP address and online activity or use any end-to-end encryption.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:00 PM, Walker88 said:

If you're a private citizen, and not engaging in anything untoward, nobody is monitoring you. You are completely free and invisible.

Amazing you would even say that, let alone believe it !

Edward Snowden and Julian Assange  ring any bells ?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

On 2/3/2024 at 1:43 PM, new2here said:

Really think so? Bunch of fascist crooks

https://www.amazon.com/CIA-Organized-Crime-Illegal-Operations/dp/0997287012

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, uttradit said:

I'm sure you're quite the expert on the agency.

Spent a lot of time in Langley? What is/was your badge number?

trump wanted to use the capabilities of the agency to spy on domestic critics and political opponents. The lawyers of both the White House and agency had to disabuse him of his fascist, dictatorial tendency.

If all you know is what you read in pulp fiction, you know nothing about what the agency does.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

trump wanted to use the capabilities of the agency to spy on domestic critics and political opponents. The lawyers of both the White House and agency had to disabuse him of his fascist, dictatorial tendency.

What is your source link for this drivel please...???

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I'm sure you're quite the expert on the agency.

Spent a lot of time in Langley? What is/was your badge number?

If all you know is what you read in pulp fiction, you know nothing about what the agency does.

The experts wrote books on them. They hired nazis and copied their tactics.

• Confused 1