Occasional on left side under rib - brief pinging / burn pain

mfinasi

For about two months I get an occasional brief pinging pain on the left side kind of under rib area I think toward the back side of body, it is passing and I wouldn't call it agony painful but I wouldn't call it dull either, and sometimes I can go a whole day without noticing it, it's also difficult to explain in english but here goes 😅 - imagine you come of your motorbike and got a small hamburger rash of expose skin say 3cm by 3xm and that's on some internal organ on your left side then you accidentally bump it after a few days and you feel the tingle/burn for a few second and lingering for say 30 seconds. I often notice it after I've done say 1km of walking (not at pace), or this morning leaning forward reading bbc news on the toilet. I often thought it was post weekend boozing but I noticed it more on Thursday last week after a few days off the booze, and about an hour after Hotpot restaurant yesterday.  Early 40s/male, a little overweight - BMI high by UK standards, no known other medical conditions. 

My cbc, liver test, bun/creatine,  lipids, urine analysis came back within range and noted as normal, some near the top end of the range though. 

I do plan on a doctor visit at some point, but I really struggle to explain this..  and I think with the language barriers I'll probably end up with some antiacids or something. 

I should note as well that about 3 years ago I did have the same thing for about a week or two and that just cleared up on it's own, this time it's more persistent though. 

2 minutes ago, mfinasi said:

For about two months I get an occasional brief pinging pain on the left side kind of under rib area I think toward the back side of body, it is passing and I wouldn't call it agony painful but I wouldn't call it dull either, and sometimes I can go a whole day without noticing it, it's also difficult to explain in english but here goes 😅 - imagine you come of your motorbike and got a small hamburger rash of expose skin say 3cm by 3xm and that's on some internal organ on your left side then you accidentally bump it after a few days and you feel the tingle/burn for a few second and lingering for say 30 seconds. I often notice it after I've done say 1km of walking (not at pace), or this morning leaning forward reading bbc news on the toilet. I often thought it was post weekend boozing but I noticed it more on Thursday last week after a few days off the booze, and about an hour after Hotpot restaurant yesterday.  Early 40s/male, a little overweight - BMI high by UK standards, no known other medical conditions. 

My cbc, liver test, bun/creatine,  lipids, urine analysis came back within range and noted as normal, some near the top end of the range though. 

I do plan on a doctor visit at some point, but I really struggle to explain this..  and I think with the language barriers I'll probably end up with some antiacids or something. 

I should note as well that about 3 years ago I did have the same thing for about a week or two and that just cleared up on it's own, this time it's more persistent though. 

I thought the liver was on the right. Maybe it's a kidney issue or stomach issue.

• Agree 1

Two things come to mind,

1) Left sided rib pain? Heart, get an EKG

2) Lots of nerves under the rib cage, any history of trauma?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bbko said:

Two things come to mind,

1) Left sided rib pain? Heart, get an EKG

2) Lots of nerves under the rib cage, any history of trauma?

1) Will need to get a checkup package for that, still finding the deals, seems many of them are doing 2 for 1 which is weird promotion for medical, rope along a buddy from the bar 🤣 will up the priority on this

2) Yes, uninsured/untreated motorbike accident around 10 years ago, ribs screwed for several weeks but got myself better.. 

7 minutes ago, mfinasi said:

Go get you pancreas checked you....

• Thanks 1

I can get what i think are similar pains around the mid back area anywhere across back. Feels like little needles . Mostly happens after slouching for an extended period while sitting. Back xrays revealed start of arthritis of spine. Having a gut pulls things out of alignment . Lying flat on  back on firm surface straightens it and the pain goes away.

Edited by degrub

14 minutes ago, mfinasi said:

Yes, uninsured/untreated motorbike accident around 10 years ago, ribs screwed for several weeks but got myself better.. 

My money is on this, if the EKG is good, treat the occasional pain with ibuprofen, if it persists go to a doc.

I remember reading that if it's very superficial, like "right under the rib", it shouldn't be a heart issue. It could have to do with exercising/stretching. There's also a condition called "pericarditis", much less serious than heart disease but requiring treatment.

Pancreas and spleen in that general area. Sounds like it is too high up for kidney.

Blood tests and an ultrasound of the area would be a guess at the doc's first line of investigation.

Don't worry about English being an issue with docs in Thailand. Any reasonable hospital and the docs speak great English - and I suspect many docs even in government hospitals speak perfectly decent English too.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Gaccha said:

This suggests you have a very high BMI. You wouldn't believe how many illnesses and problems can arise from simply being overweight.

Lose the weight. Get your BMI down to 22 or 23. Eat one meal a day. Only eat in a 8 hour period. 16 hours with no food. No snacks and only drinks with no milk or water (black coffee or ginger or good ol' water) during the 16 hour fast.

You'll rapidly lose weight and start to feel great. You won't feel hunger after around the first 14 hours; your body will rapidly adapt. Your bank manager will be happy with the food cost savings. But your doctor will be over the moon.

The sound of the nail being hit on the head! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Occasional twinges/fleeting pains at site of an old injury is common and nor usually a cause for any  concern.

If you had any of the various problems posters have suggested (kidney stone, pancreatitis etc)  the psin would be constant/nearly constant and much more severe.

Personally I would ignore if unless it increases in frequency and severity.

No harm in getting a stress test though just to be sure  This will also give you an idea of your overall cardiac fitness so even though it msy not shed light on this problem it will still be a worthwhile investment. 

I agree here, but would add the idea to do (more) exercises regularly. 

(One poster said "sitting on your fat wallet). Well...

On 2/4/2024 at 10:38 AM, degrub said:

I can get what i think are similar pains around the mid back area anywhere across back. Feels like little needles . Mostly happens after slouching for an extended period while sitting. Back xrays revealed start of arthritis of spine. Having a gut pulls things out of alignment . Lying flat on  back on firm surface straightens it and the pain goes away.

Muscle spasm

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. Indeed it seems the most plausible explanation would be the prior injury, I had never considered that tbf, but I agree no doubt increased weight, and lifestyle choices could be exacerbating the issue, I do like the theory of having a gut can pull things out of alignment, does make logical sense. I will still test a few more things next time I go lab and see about EKG stress test, but I can wait a month and then that can give me a baseline for comparison on other metrics, and maybe a smaller gut then 😆

Edited by mfinasi
  • Like 1