Coin Counters - What to do with spare change?

33 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Do banks offer this service? Bring in a bucket of coins and dump it in a coin counter. 

My resident expert who knows all, said no. She usually empties her Moo bank every year and heads to the gold shop with it.

Good luck

IMG_2539.thumb.jpeg.069a0dc267b06c6a4a263eb60cfb0835.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

My resident expert who knows all, said no. She usually empties her Moo bank every year and heads to the gold shop with it.

Good luck

IMG_2539.thumb.jpeg.069a0dc267b06c6a4a263eb60cfb0835.jpeg

Does the gold shop count the coins for credit towards gold?

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I guess, you'd have to roll it... Better to spend it, e.g. for BTS and MRT.

I don't do public transportation, I really don't want to roll it.

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

How about paying bills (convenience stores, restaurants) with it? Nothing wrong with paying 100 baht or so in coins.

And I don't want to be "that" guy. I just pay with bills mostly, so the coins add up quickly. If there's no easy fix I'll just have to be more diligent with coins at the ready in stores.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Does the gold shop count the coins for credit towards gold?

She says she buys gold and they count it. She never comes back with notes , always gold.

Somebody mentioned 7  .My wife was keen to that too.

Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes.

For a long time, SCB's branch at Mega Bang-na had one. That is until Mrs. Shrdlu and I took our hoard to be counted.

We were informed that it had been removed to SCB's headquarters on Vibhavadi-Rangsit. 

I suggest calling the bank to find out where their coin-counting machine is stationed before lugging coins about.

• Thanks 1

Put them all in a sturdy sock. Tie the sock off with a bit of slack. Place sock visibly in front of your nether regions.

Take a walk along Pattaya's Beach Road.

Prepare to play Whack-a-Mole on the Lady Boys.

If you are lucky they may drop a gold chain or two.

Take sock (& gold chain). Go home.🙃🙃

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1

I save about 20 10's in case I have to do laundry while traveling. Increasingly, a hotel with a coin op laundry option is appealing to me. 

Otherwise, we let the change pile up and then give it to FreeBird Cafe here in Chiang Mai to help Myanmar refugees.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most weeks I buy flowers for the temple. (Son, wife and friend's ashes are there.)

When I pay for the flowers at the shop, I use  the loose change. Always more than the bill. (13 baht x 3 for chrysanthemum sprays is ridiculously cheap.)

The old lady there is always happy to see me.

I took about 5,000 baht in 10 baht coins to ttb and the lady counted every single one of them. I wasn't expecting that in this day and age. What made things worse is that for every 100 baht (I think), she had to put them in the small plastic bags. I just give them to the in laws now to spend at the local market. 

• Like 1

I find it amazing that with all the technology of today that coins can't be counted and rolled by machine. In the US you have machines at Walmart that you can dump your change into, it spits out the foreign money, gives a paper receipt minus a % for service. Cash in at check out.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Nah my missus leaves 'em there and goes back later, they manually count them, as far as I know. 

Thai ladies can get away with that, now imagine me waltzing in with a large amount of coins. Anyway thanks for the update.

12 hours ago, riclag said:

Good luck

mine just emptied her hen bank yesterday... turns out she has 5000bht 

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Do banks offer this service? Bring in a bucket of coins and dump it in a coin counter. 

they will take your coins... but might i suggest wrapping them? my darling used saran wrap and neatly wrapped all her 10 bht coins.

if you have kids... or maybe the wife/gf might wrap them for you if you get a percentage... darn coins they do add up

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I find it amazing that with all the technology of today that coins can't be counted and rolled by machine. In the US you have machines at Walmart that you can dump your change into, it spits out the foreign money, gives a paper receipt minus a % for service. Cash in at check out.

Yup.  Those Coin Star machines are great.  But at 6 or 7% service fee, I'm sure you could hire a local kid here in LOS to do it for you for 5%.  I used to use 1.5 liter water bottles because the bigger coins don't fit through the mouth.  One day, my apartment manager asked me what I planned to do with them (I had 4 bottles full).  When I told her I didn't have a clue, she offered to change them for bills.  A couple of days later, she brought me a wad of cash.  I don't know how I made out on the trade, but we were both happy.

I'd hire a local kid to do it...

BTW, the 4 bottles I had were after I had donated a couple to a Wat around 3 Pagodas that my friend used to bring me to for weekends.

Edited by impulse
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

They will probably become increasingly rare with time. Coins and machines both.

Last year, I was in Australia for six months. With the exception of a cash gift I drew at an ATM ( becoming rarer also ) all my transactions were with a debit card.

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I don't do public transportation, I really don't want to roll it.

13 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

And I don't want to be "that" guy. I just pay with bills mostly

The irony of the grand one who won't use public transport and only pays with notes now worrying about his small change and what to do with it!