Panic in Chonburi as Crocodile Found Sunbathing Near Village Fish Pond

webfact

image.jpeg

Chonburi — Residents of Huay Yai area in Chonburi province were gripped by panic after a two-meter-long freshwater crocodile was spotted sunbathing near a fishpond on February 4th, 2024.

Local officials, including the Huay Yai sub-district Municipality’s disaster prevention and mitigation team, along with over 20 personnel, rushed to the scene in Huay Yai to tackle the situation head-on.

After locating the crocodile, the officials decided to use a car battery to deliver a controlled electric shock in the water. This non-lethal method effectively stunned the crocodile, allowing officials to safely retrieve it from the water.

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-02-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

I once got served crocodile meat in Cambodia. It was just about the toughest meat I ever ate, but I rather eat it, than it me.

Out of interest, I know there are a lot of Aussies on this forum. I was wondering what stage in a croc's development do we start treating them with respect? At what length do they pose a really danger to our life?

1 hour ago, Nordic summer said:

I once got served crocodile meat in Cambodia. It was just about the toughest meat I ever ate, but I rather eat it, than it me.

Out of interest, I know there are a lot of Aussies on this forum. I was wondering what stage in a croc's development do we start treating them with respect? At what length do they pose a really danger to our life?

Their teeth are sharp from day 1.

Up to about 2.5m they can do serious damage but rarely cause adult death.

Above 2.5 they increasingly win, they are regularly around the 5.5m mark in northern Australia and are immense at the size.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nordic summer said:

https://www.medicalrepublic.com.au/docs-versus-crocs/8448

43 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nothing to worry about. This is very common in Florida. They typically stay to themselves. An over reaction, for sure. 

Wouldn't that be an Alligator rather than a Crocodile. A much different beast

(This could explain why so many Americans are taken by Crocs in Northern Australia)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, gearbox said:

If you are a 75kg person attacked by a 3-metre croc, your chances of survival are good: 4 in 5. If the croc is 4 metres, however, your chances have dropped a lot, to a mere 1 in 5. Once a croc hits 4.5 metres, your chances of survival, no matter your size, are negligible.

• Agree 1

The major problem with crocadile attacks is their bite causes massive bacterial infections as they live on dead or decayinng meat.Normally after a kill they leave the carcass at the bottom of the water to rot before eating it. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the officials decided to use a car battery to deliver a controlled electric shock in the water. This non-lethal method effectively stunned the crocodile, allowing officials to safely retrieve it from the water.

Utter BS, they must have connected some other device like a coil/transformer, a twelve volt battery in water wouldn't stun a even a frog. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Utter BS, they must have connected some other device like a coil/transformer, a twelve volt battery in water wouldn't stun a even a frog. 

What effect would it have on the fish?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nordic summer said:

There is a booth in front of central festival that serves up grilled croc  every afternoon...seem to do a big biz.  Never tried it.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nothing to worry about. This is very common in Florida. They typically stay to themselves. An over reaction, for sure. 

In the article they said it was a “Freshwater crocodile” which mostly are not considered capable of taking an adult human. 
However the Crocodylus Porosis is native from northern Australia up to Sri Lanka, lives in fresh or salt water and is not to be taken lightly. 
Alligators are lap dogs by comparison. 

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

In the article they said it was a “Freshwater crocodile” which mostly are not considered capable of taking an adult human. 
However the Crocodylus Porosis is native from northern Australia up to Sri Lanka, lives in fresh or salt water and is not to be taken lightly. 
Alligators are lap dogs by comparison. 

You are right. Pretty sure the ones in Florida, near housing developments are smaller alligators.

• Like 1