Much Ado About Elephant Pants in Thailand

webfact

Country of Origin rules should help this. But really, the issue is also about the efficiency of Thai manufacturers. They do not need protection, labour costs here are no more than in major Chinese production areas. Thai manufacturers have become "fat and happy"!! Wake up Thailand, manufacturers get savvy, and government insisting on rules of origin..... If you coddle Thai manufacturers now, they will end up like Brit manufacturers... non existent. 

Edited by 142857
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

comes from the same sources not caring a bit about the tons of Rolex copies and the likes sold to tourists by the truckload.

But do you see any elephants on those Rolex watches?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Over the past several days various Thai politicians and government officials have made headlines, at least on Thai language news, with consistent updates on what they call a pressing issue-Elephant pants.

Specifically, their concerns have been around illegal imports of the elephant pants from China and how Thai officials feel the prices are undercutting those of Thai made elephant pants.

Thailand considers elephant pants, commonly seen on tourists and especially backpackers, as a ‘soft power” and fashion symbol for the country. Well, at least some Thai officials do, not everyone is fond of the elephant pants or believe they are particularly fashionable according to recent conflicting and unconfirmed reports from Thailand’s Soft Power Fashion Committee.

Indeed, some netizens have debated if the elephant pants can even be considered a true soft power at all.

By Adam Judd

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-02-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

This part really got me laughing. 

However, increasing concerns around low-quality non Thai knockoffs flooding the market have prompted the Thai government to take action. 

how can it be lower quality compared to Thai being it is the lowest quality in market? Every time I have bought Thai quality they come apart after only a few times wearing it. Surely Non-Thai quality can not be worse

Edited by thesetat2013
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Heavens name shoot me if senility makes me wear a pair of those!

Agreed. It comes across to me as a phony attempt by silly foreigners to look like they're part of a culture that doesn't belong to them. I understand the sentiment of wanting to belong and be accepted here, but I manage that without looking silly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Over the past several days various Thai politicians and government officials have made headlines, at least on Thai language news, with consistent updates on what they call a pressing issue-Elephant pants.

Relax! 

Don't get your elephant pants in a wad.

What will you do when the Chinese reclaim THEIR cultural heritage?

Dated to at least 3,200 years old, the Turfan Man’s trousers are believed to be the oldest pair of trousers yet discovered

021622_bb_pants_feat.jpg?resize=1380,776

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/pants-oldest-ancient-horseman-asia-culture-origin

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

The "copyright infringement" of a unproven Thai design - which makes everyone laughing - comes from the same sources not caring a bit about the tons of Rolex copies and the likes sold to tourists by the truckload. 

But they do care about illegal counterfeit Rolex watches, that's why they are illegal, usually not on display except as pictures and sellers are arrested when found and their products destroyed.

• Haha 1

In what sense are these "illegal" imports, when I believe Thailand and China have a free trade agreement? And in what sense are they "knock-offs", when there is no original, "legal" design to copy? And just how was a claim to copyright filed, when there is almost certainly no known "author" of the original print, and there are hundreds of variant fabric designs?

• Agree 1

What's even more ridiculous is Thailand thinks elephant's are part of their "soft power" (which is the latest gimmick Thais are clamoring over). You are not wielding any soft-power related to fashion (say as does France) with elephant pants 🤣

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

They should be compulsory for the vast majority of farang women. 

I am only worrying about the effect of sun on their sensitive pale skin.

Lol.. you have a seriously ill fantasy to see only farang woman in elephant pants

Edited by Ryan1982

I thought the PM had said this was all fair goes, and Thai traders just needed to up their game?

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin said that the dumping of cheap Chinese-made elephant pants in the Thai market is a normal and opportunistic trade practice that should serve a lesson for Thai businesses to work faster to protect their interests.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

In what sense are these "illegal" imports, when I believe Thailand and China have a free trade agreement? And in what sense are they "knock-offs", when there is no original, "legal" design to copy? And just how was a claim to copyright filed, when there is almost certainly no known "author" of the original print, and there are hundreds of variant fabric designs?

"In what sense are these "illegal" imports".

Illegal in terms of protected IP rights, FTAs are irrelevant. The point is that they do benefit from copyright legislation according to the reports.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"In what sense are these "illegal" imports".

Illegal in terms of protected IP rights, FTAs are irrelevant. The point is that they do benefit from copyright legislation according to the reports.

Thai authorities keep saying that they have registered copyright for elephant pants, but with no explanation of exactly who claims the rights and over exactly which intellectual property - the concept of "loose trousers with fabric designs involving elephants" is not one that could be registered in any country that I'm aware of, and a government can't claim rights for something that it didn't create by itself or through its employees.

They also state that this supposed registration was just done within the last week or so, which certainly calls into question how imports prior to that registration could have been "illegal".

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1