Grab drivers constantly asking us to cancel

DonniePeverley

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no taxi mafia in Bangkok and fares are on the meter unless you agree otherwise - and among the lowest in the world.  Although stationary taxi still refuse fares at times most taxi are passing and will accept anyone using meter - just wait for the next if not.  Or maybe the bus/rail systems could be used?

Well said.

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Thanks for the correction...   

As I understand it, it was a little more 'underhand' than the polished version we read in your link.

But, yes, the crux of it was, no money changed hand, but a %tage was given.

This was after numerous legal actions against Uber to cease operations.

5 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I have news for you - even the regular taxis on the street have fees to pay to use a taxi. 

Why should they work for you for 50 baht? Sitting in traffic. Walk 500m to a better spot and book it. Life is better when you think things through. These drivers are not your slaves.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Ride Hailing / sharing Apps such as Grab / Bolt (Uber) only identify the pickup point to the drivers in the area, they not identify the destination to the driver...

Really?   My not being familiar the ride hailing apps (as the normal Bangkok taxis are more than good enough on most occasions), if that is the case, how are they able to quote a fare (that the customer has to agree to to make the booking) if the destination is not known?  Are you saying that the drivers never know the destination of the fare that they are accepting?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no taxi mafia in Bangkok and fares are on the meter unless you agree otherwise - and among the lowest in the world.  Although stationary taxi still refuse fares at times most taxi are passing and will accept anyone using meter - just wait for the next if not.  Or maybe the bus/rail systems could be used?

Well said.

I agree...  'the phrase Taxi Mafia' is silly - no such thing. 

But, the service varies significantly, with Grab, Bolt and Flagfall taxi's....     All work at times in certain areas, all are flawed at times in certain areas.

The issues we encounter and are then contested with the 'I never have a problem' type response exist because there is no constent enforced standards... 

I can try and call a Grab or Bolt from my House (moobaan) at 6pm and its a near guarantee that I can't get one, I'll have to walk to the main road and get a flag-fall taxi (PITA) - Wife usually ends up dropping me !!!

I can try and Call a Grab or Bolt from lower sukumvit after 11pm, no chance, getting flagfall meeter, no chance, its fixed rate.

I can get a flag-fall taxi from half way down Sukhimvit 71 at 9-10pm at night, no issues whatsoever, nearly 100% success rate with the meter and no issues, getting  Grab or Bolt from there is also relatively easy.

As far as the Bus / Rail system - Busses ???... erm, no, don't be silly (@lopburi3).

BTS - most of my journeys are not along a BTS line and would still require a taxi - the BTS only adds convenience (for me) with very specific journeys.

The issues as I see it... 

In other countries services such as Uber are 100% reliable.

In Thailand its more 'hit and miss' becase of the practices the Op describes.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?   My not being familiar the ride hailing apps (as the normal Bangkok taxis are more than good enough on most occasions), if that is the case, how are they able to quote a fare (that the customer has to agree to to make the booking) if the destination is not known?  Are you saying that the drivers never know the destination of the fare that they are accepting?

Only after getting the job.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The customer puts in their location and destination and is given the fare in the App.

The driver knows neither the destination or the fare before he accepts the ride - this is to prevent drivers 'cherry picking' rides which is ultimately detrimental to the service on a whole.

It is only after the driver accepts the ride that he will know the destination and the fare - this is sometimes when the drivers start 'playing games' if they are not happy with either the destination or the fare.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Why should they work for you for 50 baht? Sitting in traffic. Walk 500m to a better spot and book it. Life is better when you think things through. These drivers are not your slaves.

Because they agreed to be taxi drivers....   

Of course, not slaves, but they have agreed to provide a service....   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because they agreed to be taxi drivers....   

Of course, not slaves, but they have agreed to provide a service....   

Yet if you did their job you would do exactly the same as them.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:
15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This was after numerous legal actions against Uber to cease operations.

..of their illegal, unlicenced service, as it was at the time.

Correct - and Grab ran exactly the same service but were not targeted with numerous legal action....

Grab still run the same service with 'drivers in private cars who are unlicensed as taxi drivers'...  which in some areas such as Pattaya, Phuket, Samui still causes a lot of conflict with local taxi consortiums. 

It is this selective enforcement which forced Uber out of the market and accept a 'deal'....   also removing competition and to the detriment of the customer (public).

There is an easy solution: Buy a motorcycle.

Or option 2: Get the phone numbers from the motorcycle guys at the next corner. They can pick you up and then it's up to you if you need them just to get to the main street to get a taxi or public transport or let them ride you to your destination. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Why should they work for you for 50 baht?

Because that's their lot in life. Didn't you learn this on your recent sojourn to  the backwoods monastery to find yourself? That's where you've been these past few months isn't it sparktrader, I mean bignok?

Anyhoo, don't let me interrupt your day, keep on trollin'...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There is an easy solution: Buy a motorcycle.

Or option 2: Get the phone numbers from the motorcycle guys at the next corner. They can pick you up and then it's up to you if you need them just to get to the main street to get a taxi or public transport or let them ride you to your destination. 

Or rent a bike.

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As far as the Bus / Rail system - Busses ???... erm, no, don't be silly (@lopburi3).

Not silly at all if school is on a bus run it could work fine and may have been missed as OP only seems to be mentioning hired car transportation. 

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I have news for you - even the regular taxis on the street have fees to pay to use a taxi. 

Taxi fees are fixed costs, usually 400-500 baht a day (with free days if you rent for a week), and drivers receive cash payment, no more hidden fees.  Grab driver fees are 20% (and more), and 90% of the time the driver purchased the vehicle on credit, which amounts to approximately equal to, or higher, than what taxis pay for their rental, in addition to this Grab drivers can not withdraw 100% from their wallet, there needs to be a floating amount or they won't be able to accept orders.  

Grab drivers also need to be aware of taxi mafias in the form of regular yellow plate taxis, and black plates "limos" etc., and if a certain pick-up location has such groups, you surely can understand why they would cancel a ride. 

Personally, I would rather walk, ride my bicycle, take a bus, or use BTS/MRT, I prefer to keep my blood pressure within the recommended normal limits. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  Why would you wait for the taxi you booked to turn up for you, watch it waiting and not use it?  Surely you're abusing the system (unless you didn't describe the circumstances accurately)?

You only watch them stay 'stationary' on the app, they don't actually show up to your location, some even drive in the other direction away from you even 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elkski said:

3rd world stuff.   Ive had lots of bad taxi experiences.  Its a real problem.   I dont know hiw there can be any defenders of this.   

I suspect 'bad experience' is a matter of perspective.

I've had very few 'bad experiences' with Taxi's over the years that I write of as 'the guy was a complete ayhole'.

But, I have had a lot of less than positive experiences that I write off as being part of being in Thailand and when thinking bigger picture is not really a big deal.

I think for a lot of us it comes down to expectations. We're paying very little for a service, so expect little from it...    But sometimes, even with those low expectations the experience is negative enough to leave a mark.

Equally, so there are many positive experiences and I've had some great chats with taxi drivers.

'You never know what you're gonna get'....     

• Like 1

Roadside taxis refuse ro take even Thai people that my fiance and many Thai people I observe go to the driver's window to tell him where they want to go to see if he will take them.   Thats totally wrong.  If you flag a taxi and he stops you should be able to open the rear door and get in and then twll him your destination, and within  his sevice area, 100% of the time get a flag drop ride.    

We were at the taxi cue at terminal 21 and it took us 5 taxi's to get a taxi ride. I couldn't understand this as after they refused us a ride they left the que.   

Next up i once had a 2 am drive from  nana area to asoke and i swear the guy was full reving and shifting gears like a race car driver and we easily hit 100kmh.  He was passing buses on the left.  On one pass i had to yell because there was a parked car he couldn't see but i could sitting in the left rear. 

There are laws these drivers must follow.  IMHO this taxi experiences hurt tourism very much. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

We unfortunately got rinsed by our agent, who showed us a lovely condo - but deceptively failed to mention the school runs in the area are absolutely horrific. 

So whenever we attempt to order a grab, they will always accept it straight away, but then immediately call and message and tell us to cancel. Even if i attempt to book the premium grab, they just want to cancel. 

What is the glitch in the system that makes them accept the job in the first place? Then why can't they cancel it themselves? But no, they want me to cancel. Sometimes i give it ten minutes, and watch their cars sitting their stationary (they could have come to me in 5 mins), and they still don't cancel. 

The problem is as soon as you cancel, Grab then penalise me and add a fare onto the next attempt i make. 

With the taxi mafia now in full swing in Bangkok and rarely anyone using a meter, it's become ridiculous here. 

Why do you cancel ?

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

my fiance and many Thai people I observe go to the driver's window

Considered common curtesy by most Thai and dates back to pre-meter use days when each fare was bargained prior to travel - there is no area of service or start/end time for most drivers so going in out of home area when quitting time not appreciated.  Most short travel trips do not involve window asking even by Thai.

We were at the taxi cue at terminal 21 and it took us 5 taxi's to get a taxi ride. I couldn't understand this as after they refused us a ride they left the que. 

Taxi in queue are often looking for easy fare money - often better to flag down driver.  But controlled queues will require driver to accept pax or leave queue.  Expect your trip involved heavy traffic or distance and judged by driver to be less than productive.  Taxi drivers make a marginal income at best with the heavy traffic and low fares mandated here.   And most of the bad apples are found in queues rather than flag down drivers

a 2 am drive from  nana area to asoke

Expect driver was as high as most pax at that hour.  Not good anywhere but not unique to taxi drivers - amazing how many drunks are on the road at any given time - just no effective enforcement.

22 hours ago, uttradit said:

Yet if you did their job you would do exactly the same as them.

There are honest drivers, too. Everyone has a choice to do the right thing.