Three weeks of Songkran celebrations begin April 1st

snoop1130

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:
8 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
15 hours ago, Bundooman said:
On 2/7/2024 at 7:40 PM, bbko said:

Queue the standard "I hate Songkran" posts, 555.

Queue the standard posters trying to be clever and funny.........!

Expand  

On cue, all the usual suspects queuing up to try to be funny.

Maybe its called DRY humor

Not a chance.

On 2/7/2024 at 7:33 PM, findlay13 said:

Boy did I pick a great time to leave. 24th March.I'll be back in June😉

Me too.

I'm leaving this month on the 20th, back on June 4th.

Just miss the crazy CNY in Hong Kong and Songkran here.

Perfect!

(Once you've done a few years of dragon dances,fireworks and wet T~shirt events, it's nice to get away!)

I love how this works ... announce a 3 week Songkran, then have a meeting to discuss and plan it.  What could possibly go wrong.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will hold meetings next week with the Culture and Interior ministries, the private sector and other relevant agencies to discuss details of this year’s Songkran celebrations,

In the meantime, lest we forget, we'll have the Chinese New Year nonsense to have to contend with over the next few days - which kicked off in my locality a few minutes ago (yes at 5:30 am!!) with lunatics letting off firecrackers. Didn't appreciate being aroused from my slumbers in this way.🤬

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will hold meetings next week with the Culture and Interior ministries, the private sector and other relevant agencies to discuss details of this year’s Songkran celebrations, which will last from April 1 until 21. Events and activities, their format, locations and the budget required will be on the agenda

Milking it for all it's worth... 

20 hours ago, Thumbs said:

So the 7 days of death becomes a 15 days of death 

I doubt they will be increasing the days off from work to that extent.....it's a 4 day weekend on my calendar but I suspect it will get an extra day or two. 

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why were the motorcyclists on the motorway?

Common to see motorbikes on this section of the motorway, typically on the extreme left though.

image.png.9e4f0fa9c8a87231a005941c16ebab0d.png

Even though there is signage prohibiting them.

image.png.ad3d539e26e06a9b32bd807cbf510c93.png

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I doubt they will be increasing the days off from work to that extent.....it's a 4 day weekend on my calendar but I suspect it will get an extra day or two. 

5 day weekend on my work calendar... with two additional (company) forced annual leave days to give us the week off.

image.png.983eeb2813a708b8e17e5804c52f56ee.png

Edited by Ralf001

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

TAT working on details of extended Songkran celebrations

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will hold 976,587 meetings next week with 2,558 Culture and Interior ministries, the private sector and other relevant agencies to discuss 373,259 details of this year’s Songkran celebrations, which will last from April 1 until 53. 45,821 Events and activities, their format, locations and the budget required will be on the agenda.

Chiang Mai and Hat Yai are the other 76 main locations, especially in Hat Yai in the south, where a Midnight Songkran event is planned and expected to attract 800,756,487 Malaysians.

Edited by klauskunkel

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

I think 21 days is a little bit too short. Why not make it 90, so all the tourists can plan and enjoy 90 day Songkran holiday on 1 visa exempt?

Visa exempt aint 90 days.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That was my point!

And my point is that they ignore your point.

Your point, pointing out the point that I had already made, a point on which we both seem to agree, had no point. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Your point, pointing out the point that I had already made, a point on which we both seem to agree, had no point. 

Nice one Champ, you are on point today.

46 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Visa exempt aint 90 days.

They have given it to Chinese and Russians. A proposal for USA and Europeans have been made. I am pretty sure that will be approved before Songkran.

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

They have given it to Chinese and Russians. A proposal for USA and Europeans have been made. I am pretty sure that will be approved before Songkran.

90 days for a select few.

• Agree 1

On 2/7/2024 at 6:46 PM, meauwnam said:

This will also boost the number of traffic victims. They have lost their minds

Well they have been a bit slack on this for a year or two.

This should bring the death rate on Thai roads back up to par.

Nice one.

Will be putting my visit to pattaya off until after the festivities.

Edited by quake

On 2/8/2024 at 8:38 AM, TTSIssues said:

I don’t really understand what this means in real terms - does this actually mean that for three weeks I run the gauntlet of someone chucking a bucket of water over me as I go to work? I get it for a couple of days but surely this doesn’t meant water throwing for three weeks? 

I am not staying home for three weeks. If any individual farang throws water at me it will be considered as assault and I will take the appropiate action.

• Sad 2

On 2/8/2024 at 1:27 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why shouldn't they be??  Is a motorway and a highway not the same thing, or is it the tollways that are being referred to?

9 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:
On 2/8/2024 at 1:27 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Why shouldn't they be??  Is a motorway and a highway not the same thing, or is it the tollways that are being referred to?

To most people, "motorway" suggests the expressway with restrictions on the type of vehicles that can use it.  I do not think that a motorway and highway are synonymous.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

90 days for a select few.

If USA and Europe will be approved, I would not call it a select few. Together with Russia and China, that will stand for about 30% of the worlds population.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

nothing I don't care about it... Thai ways of thinking and doing  are things that  nobody can  understand, even after 20 years living in Thailand

What's the problem?