Cost of living in Isaan/Buriram in 2024?

PingRoundTheWorld

You are. I have been living here, in Isaan for 9 years, as a family of 4, and 3 Million give us a decent western lifestyle but no more. So if you are in a relationship with that girl you ought to ensure that her life isn't any worse than yours. And 50K might be.. just adequate.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

You are. I have been living here, in Isaan for 9 years, as a family of 4, and 3 Million give us a decent western lifestyle but no more. So if you are in a relationship with that girl you ought to ensure that her life isn't any worse than yours. And 50K might be.. just adequate.

3 million for how long?

Please define "a decent western lifestyle".

"""Am I crazy to assume there's no possible way a family in a village in isaan spends +50k baht a month??"""

Married with no children BUT 1 minor niece (16) lives with us in Korat

Renting a 2BR house, indoor kitchen, 2 toilets / showers, LR, DR, yard and garden, carport, yard fenced, in a semi-gated community, can walk to 3 major stores and  7-11,  just outside city.

RENT: 4,500bt a month

( Was in a 3BR @5,500bt )

FOOD 3 people: 3,000 to 5,000 a month - average of 9 meals daily.

UTILITIES including Electric, water, AC & WiFi 1,800 to 2,500bt a month depending on weather.

Take it from there!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

50,000 a month holy guacamole you’re kidding right no judgment here but you need to reevaluate your situation. He needs to sit down and say to yourself how much does the average girl make or earn in that part of Thailand 12,000 a month let’s just go overboard 15,000 a month, now you do your math TIT

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

This thread is insane! 50k for living expenses for a poor Thai family in Isaan? It´s amazing how far some people are willing to go.

Mrs relative in Surin was getting 100k, new BMW, land and house and condo in Bangkok, Sathorn. Got married last year, we were going until she announced on FB she still expected the villagers to give them money in envelopes, at same time showing off the 80k she spent on the wedding shoes. In the wedding pics she looked miserable, not many turned up. He is Canadian.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

3 million for how long?

Please define "a decent western lifestyle".

3 million a year, of course.

house, 2 sqm, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms.

Two cars Jazz and CRV both lt 5 years.

Holidays, 6 weeks, 15000 a day, some in neighbouring countries.

Health cover for everyone.

Life insurances.

A lot of western food and wine.

Everyone has at least one laptop a tablet and a phone.

Private school (not international but not bad).

A bit of held for ILs.

Etc..

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

He needs to sit down and say to yourself how much does the average girl make or earn in that part of Thailand 12,000 a month let’s just go overboard 15,000 a month, now you do your math TIT

Definitely not, if he is involved with her, if he is he can't let her live with that sort of income. Unless the relationship is totally fake and he sees her as a glorified prostitute. 

46 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

So about half the government school lunch program allowance per meal?  Rice is nice I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Important parts in bold, you can skip the rest unless you're bored. :cheesy:

What would be a typical/normal cost of living for a family (mom, grandma, 2 kids) in a village near Buriram?

Here's the situation: During Covid I met my gf in a club. She was looking for a sponsor bf so I was aware from the start she's essentially working. Due to Covid I was stuck in my home country for long periods, where I have family but no friends or any type of contact with women - I've lived abroad for 20+ years so little interest in the women back home. I was ok with the idea of helping her with her cost of living in echange for some company - even if virtual.

Later on I actually moved back to Thailand and we were living together for a year, during which she was great taking care of me - cooking, cleaning, the whole deal. Her mom was taking care of her kids, but when her daughter started school she wanted to be there, and I wanted to live in Bangkok - which she hates - so we decided it would be for the best for her to live with her mom and come visit me occasionally. I enjoy the freedom so that works for me.

Now here comes the problem- back when we started she wasn't asking for much. Just a few thousand baht here and there. Little by little she started asking for more and more until I realized I'm giving her insane amounts like 70-90k baht a month and dialed it back. I told her I will give her 1500 baht a day (45k a month) and she should use that to cover her expenses. That worked for about two days before she started to ask for more "can I have 1500 for electricity bill?" "can I have 1000 baht to go buy food". I tried to ask her what is she spending the daily 1500 on?? it's supposed to cover these expenses.

I do send her some extras here and there when there is a big bill etc, but knowing cost of living here there is no possible way in my mind that she could be spending north of 50k baht a month on cost of living - most Thais don't make anywhere close to this, and for sure not in a village in isaan. My thinking is she's either saving most of the money I give her and trying to get more as much as she can, or she's spending it on someone/something other than family - either a Thai bf or gambling or mooching family - I don't know the actual reason but I know this makes no sense.

Am I crazy to assume there's no possible way a family in a village in isaan spends +50k baht a month??

P.S. Please don't offer moral judgement or "you need to dump her" advice - I'm fully aware she's working and taking advantage of me - eventually I will end it, but not today.

No way

2 hours ago, edwardflory said:

So about half the government school lunch program allowance per meal?  Rice is nice I guess.

I bake bread ( wheat and white ) cookies, cake and other baked goodies. We eat mostly Thai foods, but I also make meat loaf, broiled fish, Mac&Cheese, spaghetti, stuffing, home made sausage and etc,  we hit the high end when ""RICE"" gets boring.

EDIT:

Grandmother ( Italian ) started teaching me home made cooking at age 5 - 72 years ago.

Edited by edwardflory
addl info

17 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

I bake bread ( wheat and white ) cookies, cake and other baked goodies. We eat mostly Thai foods, but I also make meat loaf, broiled fish, Mac&Cheese, spaghetti, stuffing, home made sausage and etc,  we hit the high end when ""RICE"" gets boring.

Must say you are doing it on the cheap - most Thai like to eat a lot from venders and that would normally double or triple your costs.  Guess you are a chape priced vender.

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

It might be that, but if she's like my GF then she has zero idea of Home Economics and how to create a budget plan to live on. I give the GF money and she simply goes out and spends it, whether she needs anything or not. I've been trying for years to get her to save a few thousand Baht every month, especially when she had a decent salaried job and a steady income, but she seems to think this is some form of foreign madness, money is for spending, not saving. A week ago, her iPhone finally gave up the ghost after one of her dogs knocked it onto the cement floor. She was utterly desperate and begged me to lend her 4,000 Baht to get it repaired, which I did. She agreed to pay me back at 2,000 Baht/month from the money I give her, fair enough. Now this morning she's sending me photos of a motorbike sahling that she wants for her business selling stuff, which has mostly been non-existent since her last one went belly up for no good reason other than stupidity on her part. I told her that she's already got a good motorbike, a Ford Fiesta that I gave her as a present, and an old truck she bought herself, she doesn't need a sahmlor, especially when she isn't working on a regular basis. Get a job, earn money and save some to buy the sahling. Now, of course, I'm Khun Keeneow, the mean farang so-and-so who never gives her anything and makes her suffer so badly. The Thai education system's got a lot to answer for.

Walk away dude or buy her a book on saving money written in Thai. 

• Like 1

You have to consider that in addition to all of those family members you mentioned, she also has to support an expensive, lazy boyfriend - with whom she laughs about you when they're in bed together.

If I were you, I would give her 5,000 per week - on the condition that she visits you every weekend. No honey, no money.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

mom, grandma, 2 kids

Why do you have to support her kids and family? Why doesnt the father help out?

Supporting 5 people when you are not married who does that?

What's the benefit to you? 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

3 million a year, of course.

house, 2 sqm, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms.

Two cars Jazz and CRV both lt 5 years.

Holidays, 6 weeks, 15000 a day, some in neighbouring countries.

Health cover for everyone.

Life insurances.

A lot of western food and wine.

Everyone has at least one laptop a tablet and a phone.

Private school (not international but not bad).

A bit of held for ILs.

Etc..

3mil a year is not " a decent western life". It's extravagant. 

I would guess a very very large %% of westerners in western countries don't spend that much.

Why do you think an Isaan lady would wish to live like that?

12 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

3mil a year is not " a decent western life". It's extravagant. 

I would guess a very very large %% of westerners in western countries don't spend that much.

Why do you think an Isaan lady would wish to live like that?

Well, tell you a secret: they all do.

Who, you think, invented "farang kee nok".

10 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Well, tell you a secret: they all do.

Who, you think, invented "farang kee nok".

They all don't. That's not a secret.

Maybe some that you've met do. Isaan ladies that know your wife will, possibly, wish they could live like her.

Someone not, allegedly, spending 3mil a year is not "Farang kee nok".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I live just up the road. That amount is insane.

Yep. That's what I thought. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

No judgement, much empathy, don't take it personally; it's just a poor person with a lot of poor person pressures and mentality.

Agreed. Money is not the root of all evil - LACK of money is. Can't escape from that mentality when you were born into it I guess.

8 hours ago, uttradit said:

Best response to money request is no response. A lot of gold diggers in Thailand. They just lie non stop. Always some issue. Well get a job and pay it yourself.

I've made it a habit to not respond to money requests- I get many (other than her) but 99% of the time I ignore it. As they say no good deed goes unpunished and if you help a damsel in distress she'll always remember you first, when she's in distress again.

1 minute ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Yep. That's what I thought. Thank you.

Agreed. Money is not the root of all evil - LACK of money is. Can't escape from that mentality when you were born into it I guess.

I've made it a habit to not respond to money requests- I get many (other than her) but 99% of the time I ignore it. As they say no good deed goes unpunished and if you help a damsel in distress she'll always remember you first, when she's in distress again.

Well what will you do? Decision time.

He has it, she knows it, and that settles it.

Yep. I've been trying to play the angle of not having it anymore, in debt back home etc - but that helps for about 2 days before she starts asking for more again. Kind of like an employee - you can't cut salaries once expectations are set.

8 hours ago, Sig said:

I imagine you know already... but just for the heck of it, I'll say it. There are actually a lot of working girls who are quite decent.

Yep. I know. Getting laid in Thailand was never a problem, lol. I think it's more in my head because I promised her I'll take care of her (when I was giving her 20k a month), but I never agreed to these crazy amounts that she escalated to.

Stop all communication.

She has a keycard to my condo (yes I know - stupid), so I would have to at least keep communication until she gives that back. Or can re-key but I'm not sure how that works.

8 hours ago, 2baht said:

Give her a raise, she'll love you even more! :jap: :thumbsup:

haha, done!

3 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Yep. I've been trying to play the angle of not having it anymore, in debt back home etc - but that helps for about 2 days before she starts asking for more again. Kind of like an employee - you can't cut salaries once expectations are set.

Yep. I know. Getting laid in Thailand was never a problem, lol. I think it's more in my head because I promised her I'll take care of her (when I was giving her 20k a month), but I never agreed to these crazy amounts that she escalated to.

She has a keycard to my condo (yes I know - stupid), so I would have to at least keep communication until she gives that back. Or can re-key but I'm not sure how that works.

haha, done!

Fly to Thailand. Change locks. Get rid of her. She sounds like trouble. You don't owe her a living. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You will prob want to leave her with some kind of kiss-off financial grant.

Whatever number you have in mind, cut it in half to avoid future self-kicking.

That's exactly what I was thinking - both parts. Leave her off with a bit to get her started on her way back to work, but I've done my fair share and way way more than it aleady.

If you are there having a good time it makes sense but if you are paying 50,000 a month when not there you are being played when the average wage is 12,000 in the smaller cities.

Yep. I realize how insane this is.

8 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Its not always to poor women either, sometimes the more affluent women with 'proper' jobs are worse because they have proportionately higher expectations.

Yeah, I've met many women who are well off, and they actually expect MORE money than the poor isaan folk. I have a 24yo born-in-Bangkok regular who likes rough sex, comes from money. I don't give her much, but she keeps telling me how guys will throw 10-20k at her for one night. Actually saw her bargaining with a guy last night (I was with another girl) and the guy visibly balked at how much she was asking, but eventually accepted. I couldn't hear the conversation but I'm pretty sure how it went...

Short version: You're so into the drama of their problems that it lets you off the hook from addressing your own.

Worth a thought, but I have no drama of my own. Zero. I think more to the point I take on their drama because it intrigues me - because I have none.

It's a sign of loneliness. They need someone to talk to even if it costs money. I know a guy who does it. My advice would be find a local to talk to. Pay her to massage you and get it off your chest. Cheaper and more fun. 

Nah. I have many friends and I bring home a different girl almost every morning. I'm also an introvert (when sober) so loneliness is never an issue. But agreed- pay-per-meet is the way to go.

1 minute ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

That's exactly what I was thinking - both parts. Leave her off with a bit to get her started on her way back to work, but I've done my fair share and way way more than it aleady.

Yep. I realize how insane this is.

Yeah, I've met many women who are well off, and they actually expect MORE money than the poor isaan folk. I have a 24yo born-in-Bangkok regular who likes rough sex, comes from money. I don't give her much, but she keeps telling me how guys will throw 10-20k at her for one night. Actually saw her bargaining with a guy last night (I was with another girl) and the guy visibly balked at how much she was asking, but eventually accepted. I couldn't hear the conversation but I'm pretty sure how it went...

Worth a thought, but I have no drama of my own. Zero. I think more to the point I take on their drama because it intrigues me - because I have none.

Find a cheaper drama queen. Get the condo key back first or change code.

Just now, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Nah. I have many friends and I bring home a different girl almost every morning. I'm also an introvert (when sober) so loneliness is never an issue. But agreed- pay-per-meet is the way to go.

Where do you live?

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Very likely there are quite a few more acting like an ATM for her.

She is also getting money from her daughter's father (ex) who lives in Australia, but he's post-accident and can barely function which is why they broke up. I don't think she has other ATMs - why would she need them when she's sucking me dry? lol.

6 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

a decent western lifestyle

She is not western - she is Thai, and they live like Thai.

4 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Take it from there!

Yep- that's what I thought. She doesn't even have to pay rent (her mom owns the house).

4 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

He needs to sit down and say to yourself how much does the average girl make or earn in that part of Thailand 12,000 a month let’s just go overboard 15,000 a month, now you do your math

I actually told her that- average person in Thailand makes maybe 15k a month, why do you need 50k and that's still not enough... no response. Because she doesn't need it.

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Unless the relationship is totally fake and he sees her as a glorified prostitute. 

1. She is a glorified prostitute, as most single moms are. Sad, but true. 2. Those aren't MY daughters. If their dads want to put up the money for private school and expensive vacations be my guest - not my responsibility.

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

It might be that, but if she's like my GF then she has zero idea of Home Economics and how to create a budget plan to live on. I give the GF money and she simply goes out and spends it

Yeah I've been wonder if it's this, or she's actually saving most of the money away. I suspect it's the latter though since the amounts I've been giving her cannot be spent on normal cost of living unless she's been gambling or otherwise throwing it away.

1 hour ago, uttradit said:

Why do you have to support her kids and family? Why doesnt the father help out?

That's the crazy part- one kid is full Thai so I doubt the father helps, but the other is half-Aussie so gets money from the father. What I give her is on top of that!

• Sad 1