Renewal Blues

I renewed my marriage extension in Nov at Surin Immigration. I took the bank statement, letter, my SSA yearly statement and the monthly money transfer details downloaded from Wise. They would not accept the Wise printouts as they had the previous 2 years. They wanted all 12 monthly transfer details printed on one sheet showing the dates and transfer amounts. They manually did this for me but told me if I didn't provide one next year, my application would not be accepted.

• Sad 1

I just checked with my agent. I have 800 000 in a fixed deposit account and for a renewed extension of stay Jomtien this year requires:

1. Updated bank book.

2. Letter from bank stating the amount in the account.

3. Bank statement showing monthly balance for the past 12 months.

4. Visit to Immigration to have photo taken.

Update.

Thanks for all the replies.

Chiang Mai, K-bank, 65k amonth and been using this agent for several years. Knows the ropes. I use her because I cant be arsed to wait in the immi office, in and out in 10 mins, job done and she gets hers.

Thanks for the tenplate, may try and use that but bank may not play ball.

I will know by Friday what the score is, update then.

6 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Not having to deal with Jomtien Immigration is one of them.

Really don;t know what the problem is.  I forgot my extensionw as due, and am going up country tomorrow - so off to the bank on Sunday for letter (I use 800K), to copy shop for photocopies of all needed docs. 

Down to Jomtien for 0730 Monday morning and there are about 50 ahead of me in the queue.  Info desk opens on the dot of 0800 and am through with my number (002)  by 0825.  Main doors open at 0830 and i am out again by 0850.    Under two hours door to door on what is supposed to be a "don't go that day" day.

As an aside, helpful chappie at desk said next year need new photo as background needs to be white (my phots are years old, so no real complaints).  Also, new requirement is a copy of ALL previous extensions, not just last one - again, very helpfully he merely photocopied the missing ones for me. 

YMMV.  Those who wish to pay 8K+ for an agent to do some copying and skip the queue will have a little less beer money in their wallet.

PH

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Phulublub said:

Really don;t know what the problem is.  I forgot my extensionw as due, and am going up country tomorrow - so off to the bank on Sunday for letter (I use 800K), to copy shop for photocopies of all needed docs. 

Down to Jomtien for 0730 Monday morning and there are about 50 ahead of me in the queue.  Info desk opens on the dot of 0800 and am through with my number (002)  by 0825.  Main doors open at 0830 and i am out again by 0850.    Under two hours door to door on what is supposed to be a "don't go that day" day.

As an aside, helpful chappie at desk said next year need new photo as background needs to be white (my phots are years old, so no real complaints).  Also, new requirement is a copy of ALL previous extensions, not just last one - again, very helpfully he merely photocopied the missing ones for me. 

YMMV.  Those who wish to pay 8K+ for an agent to do some copying and skip the queue will have a little less beer money in their wallet.

PH

I will never be short of beer money..................agent or no agent.

If the helpful little chappie at desk 8? could process my extension application 3 months before the due date then I wouldn't use an agent.

I don't care what you say, Jomtien Immigration is not a pleasurable place even when things happen as smoothly and timely as in your case.

One added bonus of using the agent this year is that I get immediate access to my 800k so I won't be making as many monthly transfers. I can build up my second lot of Premium Bonds holdings and hopefully recover my net 6,000 Baht from monthly prizes...... (that is totally separate from my beer money....)

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

It's always been their job to evidence bank statements.

Incorrect.

The IO simply ticks a box from evidence that YOU supply. An IO could not analyse my bank statements if he looked at them all day.............a quick scan for 65k coming in monthly is the extent of their activities.

Obviously there were no bank statements in the days of the embassy letters.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I think people are confusing the two types of bank letters. The OP is talking about the income method and not the 800K/400K method. The income method, where there is no embassy letter, requires a statement showing all 12 monthly foreign deposits of at least 65K. Bank books and proof of money in the bank is not needed. 

Apples and oranges. 

I renew my visa in Nakhorn Sawan using the income method. The local Immigration Office wants a twelve-month statement. I use Bangkok Bank, and they give me a printout of ALL my transactions for twelve months for ฿200. They also demand copies of my bank book for the twelve months. Seems like overkill, to me. Oh, and don't forget to make copies of the tabien baan and the owner's ID card.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

If the helpful little chappie at desk 8? could process my extension application 3 months before the due date then I wouldn't use an agent.

I wans't aware that Agents could process applications well in advance of the official gace period.  If that is the case, then using one to obtain a new extension if one needs to be out of the country in the month before renewal, that might be useful information to some; good of you to share.

PH

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Obviously there were no bank statements in the days of the embassy letters.

And if you weren't providing an Embassy letter, you were using either 800/400K in a Thai bank account.

That was a point the Embassies made when they ceased the letters, there was already a recognised system of meeting financial requirements using Thai bank accounts and bank statements.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, deadbeat said:

Update.

Thanks for all the replies.

Chiang Mai, K-bank, 65k amonth and been using this agent for several years. Knows the ropes. I use her because I cant be arsed to wait in the immi office, in and out in 10 mins, job done and she gets hers.

Thanks for the tenplate, may try and use that but bank may not play ball.

I will know by Friday what the score is, update then.

You do know that you can make an appointment online , free , last year in and out in under a hour ,

already made a booking for April  , and I know  I need 12 month statement ,and been with

Bangkok Bank , I know I need to preorder it 5 days before the appointed day ,bank letter same day.

if you are organised no need for agent .

"It's that time of year so went to the bank for the immigration letter."    I thought the agent would have done that for you ?

" Spent 4 hours on the bike today, tooing and frowing, now hot and bothered. "    I thought the point of an agent is to save you time 

regards worgeordie

14 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

What is the problem?

I'm law-abiding; I choose to use an agent for convenience.

That's one less person ahead of you as you wait in the queue.

Let's not pretend there are some farangs that use agents to use the "less than legal" route.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, bbko said:

Let's not pretend there are some farangs that use agents to use the "less than legal" route.

And why is that? 

Possibly because their home country is too stingy to pay a decent pension that will fall into the requirements of Thai Immigration rules. 

Possibly because a previous wife may have cleaned out their savings. 

Possibly because that's the only way they can get to stay is this wonderful country (that is bending over backwards for them... Bull<deleted>e) or

Possibly cause they are bad bastards that are wanted by police back in their home country. 

There are many more reasons.... 

Now which one, if any do I fall into? 

I personally don't care how people get to stay in Thailand, as long as they behave themselves and are basically good people. 

I've met some right tossers that should have been moved on years ago.... But they manage to stay. 

Others may have all the right intentions but end up getting frustrated with rules that change with the wind. Some just say stuff it and migrate elsewhere. 

Each to there own is perhaps what I'm trying to say. 

• Like 1