Problem With New Glasses

Bangkok Barry

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Good luck with that. I read of someone who bought some shoes at a department store whose name begins with R and the next day the sole of one fell off. He took them back for a refund, they said no, he refused to leave and they called the police. Customer service, Thai-style.

I have not had much difficulty retuning stuff here. I did have an issue once at a shop at the Emporium, but I filed with my credit card and got it resolved. 

The last glassed I bought from Vora Vision went back before they got them right. 

If you don't ask, the answer's no. 

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I had to pay on ordering. Which I can understand as they'd be useless for someone else and I might not have returned to the store.

I've only ever had to pay a deposit. They can resell or send the frames back. 

The shop you are talking about give you a very basic eye test, I don’t believe they employ Optometrists, 2 in Pattaya do, Euro Optics and Pattaya Optical, there is another called Better Vision not sure if they employ an Optometrist. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I recently got new glasses from what I assume is the top company as they are located in every town in the country. And, if anything, they are less effective than my previous pair. The staff smile a lot but don't really seem to have an answer, and of course getting anyone in Thailand to admit they made a mistake is impossible.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I could do now? Do I just swallow a 20,000 baht loss and start again somewhere else?

You need to say what type of lenses you have. For the price I assume they are progressive? The fit of the glasses can change how well you can see through progressive lenses. Higher up or lower down your nose changes the part of the lens you are looking through. I have issues when wearing a crash helmet as it tends to raise the glasses slightly. Plenty of videos on YouTube for how to adjust the fit. 

For the people who are suggesting you were ripped off on price they are just ignorant on the cost of progressive lens glasses in Thailand. Cheapest I have found were 15,000 baht four years ago. I now get mine from Zenni for 3,000 baht.

18 hours ago, impulse said:

Which are the cute ones with the long legs in Thai shops?  So hard to say no to them...

They're the ones who sell the rose-coloured glasses.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, uttradit said:

Adjust the lenses obviously. Are you not capable of solving basic problems?

Lenses cannot be 'adjusted' once they are made. A new set of them would be needed to solve any problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Good luck with that. I read of someone who bought some shoes at a department store whose name begins with R and the next day the sole of one fell off. He took them back for a refund, they said no, he refused to leave and they called the police. Customer service, Thai-style.

But, as suggested on here, I'll get my eyes tested again at a hospital. If they tested wrong at the store I'll take it from there.

Well then if they are taken back and can't (won't) be corrected, you're sh!t out of luck.

You're basically out of options.

1 minute ago, Straight8 said:

Well then if they are taken back and can't (won't) be corrected, you're sh!t out of luck.

Actually getting a doctors eye exam/prescription and having them check the supplied glasses should be done - if not very close to being the same expect that information can be presented to store and some consideration might be provided.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think the 20K includes the lenses. 

Average lense is 4000 baht. A premium one is 6000 to 8000 baht. A cheap one is 2000 baht. The markups would be 100% on cost. Always bargin never pay 100% up front.

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually getting a doctors eye exam/prescription and having them check the supplied glasses should be done - if not very close to being the same expect that information can be presented to store and some consideration might be provided.

Agree, but as OP mentioned, they seem to be trying to avoid the situation & hope OP goes away.

I guess with some evidence, he may stand a better chance of at least getting a new pair made. Wouldn't hold out much hope for a full refund though.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

No, you simply change the lenses based on new eye test. 

Just now, Straight8 said:

Agree, but as OP mentioned, they seem to be trying to avoid the situation & hope OP goes away.

I guess with some evidence, he may stand a better chance of at least getting a new pair made. Wouldn't hold out much hope for a full refund though.

The frames must be expensive if he paid 20k total. Just reuse them. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And if the first test was wrong? Ever tried getting a refund from a Thai company?

Do it often but never for prescription glasses.  I could see that being a pain.  Them telling you to show them what is wrong and how would you do that? Hard to resell  prescription glasses or maybe not and you're wearing the last person's glasses that successfully returned them.  20k - ouch!

Edited by atpeace
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, uttradit said:

No, you simply change the lenses based on new eye test. 

The lenses are possibly the most expensive part of the specs, unless you went for super titanium designer frames. 

Just now, KannikaP said:

The lenses are possibly the most expensive part of the specs, unless you went for super titanium designer frames. 

Normally 50/50. You don't need the most expensive lenses. 4000 baht ones (bargained price) are fine. Normally you have to change lenses every 2 to 3 years. Not worth paying for the most expensive.

3 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Normally 50/50. You don't need the most expensive lenses. 4000 baht ones (bargained price) are fine. Normally you have to change lenses every 2 to 3 years. Not worth paying for the most expensive.

If, as I do, you need Varifocal lenses, there is a big difference between standard Top C ones and say Essilor @ Bht 9000 each, especially in the peripheral vision and quality of coatings. Go for the best you can afford.

• Like 1

Almost all Top products are made in a factory in the UK.

I suggest it comes down to how your eyes were tested. 

If you want to be sure you must get them done in an eye hospital.

25 minutes ago, uttradit said:

The frames must be expensive if he paid 20k total. Just reuse them. 

What makes you think the frames must be expensive? What type of lenses do his glasses have? Are they photochromic? Do they have anti reflective coating? Anti scratch coating? Are they bi-focal, progressive? I was quoted 22,000 to 28,000 in an optician in Bangkok for the type of lenses I require and the price of frames had not been discussed. You seem to know very little about the subject.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Andyfez said:

Almost all Top products are made in a factory in the UK.

I suggest it comes down to how your eyes were tested. 

If you want to be sure you must get them done in an eye hospital.

Lenses done in Bangkok factory. They told me that. I ordered in one store then picked up in another no problem same price.

Just now, alanrchase said:

What makes you think the frames must be expensive? What type of lenses do his glasses have? Are they photochromic? Do they have anti reflective coating? Anti scratch coating? Are they bi-focal, progressive? I was quoted 22,000 to 28,000 in an optician in Bangkok for the type of lenses I require and the price of frames had not been discussed. You seem to know very little about the subject.

Used glasses for 25 years. Most I paid on lenses was 10,000 baht. Last one was 4,000 baht. The cheaper ones work just as well. I wouldn't pay for expensive lenses again. All a bit of a con.

A couple of posters have touched on what I think may be the problem. Ask the practice to check your PD (pupillary distance) - both your own and then they need to check that the centres of the lenses match. If they don’t, one or both eyes will not be looking through the optical centre of the lens.

Next, assuming the lenses are multi focal, aka progressives, aka varifocals get them to check the heights. Heights will show the manufacturing lab where the intermediate and reading portion kicks in. If the reading height is too low, you’ll be raising your head too much in order to read. If you get clearer distance vision by dropping your head too much, the reading portion is too high. Side to side head movement can be a factor, as is the angle at which the frame tilts towards the face, lens distance from the pupil itself, but I’d be asking them initially to check heights and PDs. 
Those measurements (heights and PD) are just as important as the prescription itself.  Often the prescription is fine but the measurements described are wrong….common everywhere I’m afraid, not just here in Thailand.

Me - I’m a Dispensing Optician with many years under my belt. good luck!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Used glasses for 25 years. Most I paid on lenses was 10,000 baht. Last one was 4,000 baht. The cheaper ones work just as well. I wouldn't pay for expensive lenses again. All a bit of a con.

In most cases increased price is nothing more than a thinner lens for vanity rather than substance.  

17 minutes ago, uttradit said:

What lenses are you paying for? My son gets distance glasses he uses for driving for 400 baht including frames. Why are you paying 4,000? I need progressive photochromic lenses and the cheapest I have found in Thailand are 14,000 baht. You don't seem aware of the vast differences in price depending on a person's requirements. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1