Exploited Thai workers: Debt, deception, and the dark side of berry picking in Europe

webfact

image.jpeg

In the past 18 years, over 110,000 Thai workers embarked on a gruelling journey to Europe, enticed by the promise of lucrative pay in berry fields, yet behind the allure lies a sinister reality of exploitation, debt bondage, and shattered dreams.

From the rural heartlands of Thailand’s northeast, hopeful farmers borrowed staggering sums from banks and illegal lenders to finance their passage to the Nordic countries. What awaited them was not the prosperity they envisioned but a relentless cycle of debt and hardship.

Labour activist Junya Yimprasert revealed a shocking truth: over a decade and a half, a staggering 10 billion baht has been drawn from impoverished Thai workers to enrich the forest berry industries of Sweden and Finland, a loss swept under the rug of international commerce.

The berry companies, adept at preying on vulnerable populations, shifted their focus to workers from China and Vietnam in 2019, only to face uproar and swift repatriation due to abysmal working conditions. Threats of blacklisting and visa manipulation kept Thai workers silent, trapping them in a vicious cycle of debt and exploitation.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of The Nation

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In the past 18 years, over 110,000 Thai workers embarked on a gruelling journey to Europe, enticed by the promise of lucrative pay in berry fields, yet behind the allure lies a sinister reality of exploitation, debt bondage, and shattered dreams.

From the rural heartlands of Thailand’s northeast, hopeful farmers borrowed staggering sums from banks and illegal lenders to finance their passage to the Nordic countries. What awaited them was not the prosperity they envisioned but a relentless cycle of debt and hardship.

Labour activist Junya Yimprasert revealed a shocking truth: over a decade and a half, a staggering 10 billion baht has been drawn from impoverished Thai workers to enrich the forest berry industries of Sweden and Finland, a loss swept under the rug of international commerce.

The berry companies, adept at preying on vulnerable populations, shifted their focus to workers from China and Vietnam in 2019, only to face uproar and swift repatriation due to abysmal working conditions. Threats of blacklisting and visa manipulation kept Thai workers silent, trapping them in a vicious cycle of debt and exploitation.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of The Nation

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

Was a foreigner banned from the Kingdom after writing about this subject, or similar? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Threats of blacklisting and visa manipulation kept Thai workers silent, trapping them in a vicious cycle of debt and exploitation. 

Really? Nothing to do with the apathy of the Thai govt? 

One might expect more from these nations but greed is universal. People of a lower nature exist everywhere and they will do just about anything for money. 

I always knew there was something very dark about berries and I could never quite put my finger on it. Especially those wild and brambley blackberries. 

Edited by spidermike007

Taking advantage of vulnerable poorly educated Thai country people. 

Who is to blame for poor education and very low income in the villages? Easily enticed with the promise of high salaries in other countries and do not realise that a lot of times they are going to other countries to work in the sex industry.

• Like 1

The allure of high salaries (compared to Thailand) what they don’t factor in is the high cost of living expenses and the taxes each month that they will be subject to, heard it many times before “ my son is going to London and will be working at Dunkin’ Donuts and will be earning 80,000 baht a month” can see there heart sink when i tell them about London rents and uk tax and national insurance payments 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

lucrative pay in berry fields

Lucrative has been given a new definition.
Who in their right minds would believe working in a berry field would provide lucrative pay????
So what if the pay is more than Thailand! The worker needs to live on the economy they are working in. A berry picker on what planet will make lucrative pay?
Absolute, total, and utter stupidity to believe such a thing.

• Like 1

If accommodation & meals are provided ok come to pick the berries but if you have to pay your own rent etc stay in Thailand & find a job is a better option , years ago we all picked strawberries in Ireland when we were young teenagers 13-16 , now no young  Irish would do it do it’s all polish /Lithuanians & Romanians doing it for the strawberry farmers 

Edited by barrybike
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Lucrative has been given a new definition.
Who in their right minds would believe working in a berry field would provide lucrative pay????
So what if the pay is more than Thailand! The worker needs to live on the economy they are working in. A berry picker on what planet will make lucrative pay?
Absolute, total, and utter stupidity to believe such a thing.

They send a lot of the money home.

1 hour ago, barrybike said:

If accommodation & meals are provided ok come to pick the berries but if you have to pay your own rent etc stay in Thailand & find a job is a better option , years ago we all picked strawberries in Ireland when we were young teenagers 13-16 , now no young  Irish would do it do it’s all polish /Lithuanians & Romanians doing it for the strawberry farmers 

That's because the farmers can no longer employ 13-16 year old natives

to pick berries at a low price..older natives won't do it for a low price so they bring in immigrant labour.

Berry picking.....all that healthy walking around the ancient forests collecting berries and you get paid for it. If they called it a spa you'd be there running around eating nothing but nuts and berries and be thin as a rake in no time....and you expect to be paid on top of all the good benefits you are getting. Get away wit ya'

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Quite a few Australian farmers have been caught exploiting foreign workers too.I'm not saying it's all bad  but they should be careful if they can

yes. I recently watched on youtube a vid by an english guy. The oz farmers were so rude and bullying. They should send someone undercover and record it all. These ozzie rednecks should be exposed

• Like 1

Plenty of unemployed wasters in the UK lazing around on benefits who could be forced to do this whilst waiting for a proper job, and no shortage of  "asylum seekers" who are probably quite used to scratting around in the bushes!   As long as they are only paid per kilo and are "theoretically" able with hard work to achieve an amount equal to their benefits or minimum wage  ( which ever is the least) lets have them doing it  No need to import any seasonal workers at all.

Like anybody else I don't really care who picks the berries but I'd rather they were picked as cheaply as possible and that the price I pay reflects that. I'd also prefer them to have reasonably clean hands

• Like 1

The native population of the European Union are lazy and prefer to receive unemployment benefits rather than go to work manually.
Others prefer to work relaxed sitting all day in desk office at computer while they are not able to do maintenance work at their homes.
In Scandinavian countries I don't know how much Thai workers are paid, but in Greece they are paid €2,000 per month for eight hours of work and both accommodation and food are provided by the employer.

Finally in Greek region we do not have any descrimination to Asian civilians as it exist in USA particularly against Asia civilians who are also friendly and smiling people although many of them do not know Greek or English language because both langauges are in different alphabet.

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Plenty of unemployed wasters in the UK lazing around on benefits who could be forced to do this whilst waiting for a proper job, and no shortage of  "asylum seekers" who are probably quite used to scratting around in the bushes!   As long as they are only paid per kilo and are "theoretically" able with hard work to achieve an amount equal to their benefits or minimum wage  ( which ever is the least) lets have them doing it  No need to import any seasonal workers at all.

Like anybody else I don't really care who picks the berries but I'd rather they were picked as cheaply as possible and that the price I pay reflects that. I'd also prefer them to have reasonably clean hands

They would then be bleating about their 'human rights' and that it's beneath their dignity to do manual work,since the UK government restricted what hours and what type of jobs youngsters can do and schools don't encourage youngsters to even think of manual work - education,education,education - we now have generations of snowflakes who are no good for anything bar sitting on their lazy backsides looking at social media and getting upset when they don't get 'likes'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1