Power Bank Explosion Causes Panic on AirAsia Flight

webfact

1 hour ago, Cabradelmar said:

The technology has proven once again to be unsafe to fly. 

Absolute RUBBISH !

Upon further investigation it may well be found that the item was a Chinese knockoff readily available on the streets of Thailand.

Most Quality power banks carry a kite mark denoting it’s from a registered quality producer, my own PB has this mark and I always give it to the security staff to to check it when I go through the X-ray, and it is the first thing they look for, usually those who have inferior products get it confiscated, and rightly so.

In my estimation the staff were not on the ball in this case and further training would not go amiss.

I always carry a spare phone with me in my iPad bag and a PB beside it and if I should forget to take it out the staff have ALWAYS asked to to see it but ignored the phone, so well trained staff can always tell the difference

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

No problems, there's an easy foolproof solution .

Install a Fire containment bag on the back of the Seats or under  the Seats that can hold Phones and Power banks and maybe Laptops Put all of them in there during the flight No Excuses anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes and the occurrences are becoming more common.

FAA reported that between January 2006 and April 2022 there has been 357 incidents involving Lithium batteries, in the US alone.

Report shows that all types of devices are involved, as we have both stated above, so banning power banks only, is not the answer.

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/2022-04/April 1 2022 Li-Batt. Thermal Events.pdf

Right, so as most people carry a cellphone/smartphone with them, especially when traveling, will they get banned?

If so, that will cause a huge problem?

7 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Right, so as most people carry a cellphone/smartphone with them, especially when traveling, will they get banned?

If so, that will cause a huge problem?

I believe it would be impossible/unrealistic to ban all the devices that have lithium ion batteries, but maybe better guidelines on the types of acceptable devices and having some standard markings on them.

The danger there is that these markings will just be faked on cheaper devices.

IMG_2193.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Arindos said:

A ban on any lithium ion batteries would have widespread consequences since I don't think it would be acceptable to store them in the hold baggage area either.

A Li-Ion battery cannot be transported in the hold unless attached to the equipment it is intended to power. The attached battery must not exceed 100Wh in capacity. Airlines should require that they have been tested to UN standards by an independent authority, That would be totally impractical and impossible.

In February 2016, ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation) which regulates the transport of Dangerous Goods in aviation, enacted a ban on transporting standalone lithium-ion batteries as cargo on passenger aircraft. The ban went into effect April 1, 2016, and remains in force.

https://paguk.com/content/air-transportation-li-ion-batteries-0

• Like 1

Not a big deal. A small fire in an easily containable area. You can't prevent everything from happening.
The much more major newsworthy story here, as far as I'm concerned, is all of the imbeciles jumping out of their seats, accomplishing nothing other than endangering people's lives by hindering trained personnel from doing their job in responding to the problem. What good do they think it does to jump out of their seats and crowd the aisle!?? Complete IDIOTS! People who panic and lose any sense of logical thinking, even at minor disturbances like this, are a threat to everyone's safety. THIS is what the article should have been about. A little battery burns up...? Big deal. Staff are well trained to deal with it. Let them do their damn job! I would be perfectly fine with staff manhandling and even violently shoving people out of the aisle, if need be, in cases like this. Made me so angry seeing that video....🤬

• Agree 1

This is from the ThaiVietJet FAQ:

3.8 Can I carry a power bank on board?

Power banks can only be carried on board as carry-on baggage with the following conditions:

- Power bank capacity over 32000 mAh are prohibited to carry on board

- Power bank capacity between 20000 – 32000 mAh can be carry on board but not over 2 units per passengers

- Power bank capacity below 20000 mAh can be carry on board

At the x-ray checkpoint last week there was a clear plastic bin with a bunch of power banks. I guess some folks were told:

Too big -- either toss it now or don't fly.

26 minutes ago, Sig said:

Not a big deal. A small fire in an easily containable area. You can't prevent everything from happening.
The much more major newsworthy story here, as far as I'm concerned, is all of the imbeciles jumping out of their seats, accomplishing nothing other than endangering people's lives by hindering trained personnel from doing their job in responding to the problem. What good do they think it does to jump out of their seats and crowd the aisle!?? Complete IDIOTS! People who panic and lose any sense of logical thinking, even at minor disturbances like this, are a threat to everyone's safety. THIS is what the article should have been about. A little battery burns up...? Big deal. Staff are well trained to deal with it. Let them do their damn job! I would be perfectly fine with staff manhandling and even violently shoving people out of the aisle, if need be, in cases like this. Made me so angry seeing that video....🤬

This is from an aviation site, shows that any damage was minimal.

“Cabin crew used a fire extinguisher and secured the power bank in a container.

The aircraft continued to destination for a safe landing.
The aircraft was able to perform the return flight on schedule”

Below is from a study of human behaviour in emergencies, and seems to sum up what happened on this flight.

IMG_2197.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Agree 1

We got a 10mAh powerbank (and Bluetooth headphones and Bluetooth speaker) for free with the purchase of a phone.

Free = questionable quality. It feels so light and flimsy that I'm reluctant to use it.

Now when u go thru security power banks will not go thru in swampy.i Have this problem everytime so i keep the manual and get it thru after a talk to explain it is ok.This will make it almost impossible now to get thru as most people have a power bank for a mobile in they baggage

Edited by bristolgeoff

6 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Really???  Oxygen masks are for cabin depressurization situations so people don't pass out. Adding oxygen to a fire would probably lead to an explosion 😉

But the report text said there was an 'explosion' not only that there was a 'blast' 😄

6 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

Looks like a ban on the way for battery power banks. The aviation top brass will be scrutinising this incident.  

Power banks are totally unnecessary anyway. These devices are made from cheap, low quality, unsafe batteries. Never bought one for that reason. I make sure that I have sufficient battery life on my devices when I fly, I a battery gets weak I get it replaced by Apple or replace my device.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Power banks are totally unnecessary anyway. These devices are made from cheap, low quality, unsafe batteries. Never bought one for that reason. I make sure that I have sufficient battery life on my devices when I fly, I a battery gets weak I get it replaced by Apple or replace my device.

Fully agree. FAA data shows that the most common type of device to cause a fire on a aircraft are,

Batteries or battery packs (40 % of all incidents),

E-cigarettes and vape devices (20 %)

Cell phones, laptops, and other electronic devices added together, account for the remainder of the incidents. (40%)

3 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Absolute RUBBISH !

Upon further investigation it may well be found that the item was a Chinese knockoff readily available on the streets of Thailand.

Most Quality power banks carry a kite mark denoting it’s from a registered quality producer, my own PB has this mark and I always give it to the security staff to to check it when I go through the X-ray, and it is the first thing they look for, usually those who have inferior products get it confiscated, and rightly so.

In my estimation the staff were not on the ball in this case and further training would not go amiss.

I always carry a spare phone with me in my iPad bag and a PB beside it and if I should forget to take it out the staff have ALWAYS asked to to see it but ignored the phone, so well trained staff can always tell the difference

Has less to to with manufacturer and more to do with how the battery is stored and used. Everyone turns over their devices preflight and they get stored in a fire proof bag sealed and not to be opened. Large batteries get banned completely. Problem solved. 

3 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Has less to to with manufacturer and more to do with how the battery is stored and used. Everyone turns over their devices preflight and they get stored in a fire proof bag sealed and not to be opened. Large batteries get banned completely. Problem solved. 

Then after the flight, there's not only immigration and luggage to worry about, now you can add collecting your charger to that list.

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

FAA reported that between January 2006 and April 2022 there has been 357 incidents involving Lithium batteries, in the US alone.

Let's hope this will put the brakes on EV's.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Spock said:

Then after the flight, there's not only immigration and luggage to worry about, now you can add collecting your charger to that list.

Let you keep the sealed sealed bag at your seat like a regular carry-on. 

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

A Li-Ion battery cannot be transported in the hold unless attached to the equipment it is intended to power. The attached battery must not exceed 100Wh in capacity. Airlines should require that they have been tested to UN standards by an independent authority, That would be totally impractical and impossible.

In February 2016, ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation) which regulates the transport of Dangerous Goods in aviation, enacted a ban on transporting standalone lithium-ion batteries as cargo on passenger aircraft. The ban went into effect April 1, 2016, and remains in force.

https://paguk.com/content/air-transportation-li-ion-batteries-0

I flew in December with EVA whilst carrying some cordless power tools.  After researching their conditions thoroughly, they will not allow any lithium batteries in the hold (even if attached) unless it is pre-cleared with them.  Therefore the actual tools went in the hold in a suitcase and I carried the batteries (72Wh each) in my hand luggage in li-po bags.  The li-po bags were not a stated requirement by them but I did it to avoid any possible hassle at security.

54 minutes ago, 10baht said:

Let's hope this will put the brakes on EV's.

That is a big jump from a cheap power bank catching fire on an aircraft, to using that, as a call to stop EVs being produced.

“The battery in the mobile phone is consumer grade, optimised for maximum runtime at low cost. the EV battery, on the other hand, is made to industry standards with longevity in mind. The dissimilarities do not stop there and a key difference is how the energy is dispensed.“

https://batteryuniversity.com/article/why-mobile-phone-batteries-do-not-last-as-long-as-an-ev-battery#google_vignette

• Haha 1