Filipino DJ Killed in Tragic Motorbike Collision with Electric Pole in Patong

webfact

image.jpeg

Patong—At 4:06 AM, on February 25th, 2024, Patong police officers received a fatal accident report of a Filipino DJ on a motorbike colliding with an electric pole in front of Aspery Hotel on Patong Beach Road, Kathu, Phuket.

In response to the accident, Patong police and emergency services were dispatched to investigate and found the body of a Filipino man with a grievous head wound. A red-gray motorbike was found nearby having collided with an electric pole, according to the police report.

Consequently, Patong emergency services transferred the body to Patong Hospital to determine the exact cause of death.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-02-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2

I'm amazed there is not more deaths this place has gone nuts, This weekend my wife's brother and his girlfriend came to Phuket for the weekend the first time for both of them, he said this place is worse than BKK and he rides his bike everyday to work from Nontaburi to MBK area and back, we did a bit of driving around over the weekend he couldn't believe how bad it was. especially around 7-30 pm as we were driving home guys coming over on to the wrong side of the road trying to jump the traffic, mostly farang I might add, 

• Agree 1

Patong is a horrific area, with no redeeming qualities. It is a pit of desolation. They used to at least have hot women there. No longer. Now, mostly old, fat and not at all attractive. Yikes. A few hotties at go go bars. Just a few. And traffic is miserable. 

Phone poles and trees are very unforgiving. The must be avoided at all costs. 

Edited by spidermike007

6 hours ago, webfact said:

to investigate and found the body of a Filipino man with a grievous head wound.

Mmm I wonder why he has a grievous head wound, lets investigate, surely he must have been wearing a helmet  :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

Fatal attraction between motorbikes and concrete poles. What's the answer? Has anybody here had a near miss or collision with a pole while out and about? Do these things move around like in a computer game? Sure, some poles are stuck some way away from the side of the road. Using a phone at 30 or 40 kmh, enough to kill you, not possible, surely? Never ride within 2m of the edge of the road. You'll end up in a hole, off the road, wrapped around a pole or wires, or banging into the back of an unlit stationary tank carrier. It's all part of the Thai driving experience (all rites (sic) reserved).

51 minutes ago, traveller101 said:

thairsc.com 

The website, that compiles and displays accurate data re: traffic accidents in the country as well as provincial data incl. Phuket.

01/01/2024 - 26/02/2024, 12:00pm:

32 deaths (21 death Jan/Feb 2023)

4'512 in Hospital (3'902 Jan/Feb 2023).

It's fair to say that the carnage on Phuket's roads is well and truly out of control due to zero enforcement of road rules.

Compared to last year, a 50% increase in road deaths at the scene and around 80 people on average daily rushed to hospital (a 15% increase from last year) is ample evidence of complete disregard of road rules by many, and in particular mostly youngish foreigners, as I observe daily riding my bike.

I have to agree with you on your post, and as I've been living here for 17 years, I've noticed the driving has gotten progressively worse, with it currently being horrendous.

As you quite rightly say there is zero enforcement of road rules, with perhaps the occasional police stop on one or two roads, but then again, they also let drivers through who are not wearing crash helmets, and I've seen foreigners drive past these police guys, even when they are signalled to stop, and nothing is done about it.

I've been here that long that I can outline the nationalities and their driving habits: –

– older farangs who do not wear crash helmets

– Thai people who also do not wear crash helmets and who are never stopped by the BIB

– French Africans who love to do wheelies, drive way too fast and are a danger to all others on the road, especially as they don't know the road rules. Never seen one of them wearing a crash helmet 

– Arabs/Middle Eastern (shirtless mostly and without crash helmets) who disregard just about every norm/rule with regards to driving a motorcycle (too fast, weaving in and out of traffic)

– Chinese tourists who have no idea whatsoever as to how to ride a motorbike and usually go two up and wobble all over the place whilst they are trying to look at their mobile phones

– Russians who have no idea about any road rules and don't even know which side of the road to drive on, and often go the wrong way round roundabouts.

If I do drive my motorbike around Patong, I do so very carefully, and for any journey outside of Patong, I use my car.

OOPS, something else I forgot to mention is; watch out for Chinese tourists stepping out into the road without looking and fortunately/unfortunately I've clobbered a few of them with the wing mirrors on my car and motorbike, mainly because I couldn't avoid them!!

If only the BIB weren't so lazy they could increase their revenue manyfold AND make the roads safer for all.

Edited by xylophone
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, traveller101 said:

The website, that compiles and displays accurate data re: traffic accidents in the country as well as provincial data incl. Phuket.

Hmm. Not sure that it is totally accurate. Certainly a minimum number.

As far as I know, no one counts the victims that die at the hospitals.

• Agree 1