New Visa fees beginning on 19th March 2024

Has anyone else noticed that Visa fees are about to increase by notice at their local Embassy?

These are the new fees for New Zealand e.g. $300 for a 60-day tourist visa  and $NZD 800 for a single entry Non-B etc.

https://wellington.thaiembassy.org/th/content/the-royal-thai-embassy-wellington-would-like-to-an?cate=5d75e39215e39c06b8005479

https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/Ty8J7f4hKr/Announcements/Consular_Service_fees.pdf

Visa Fees.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

That's bonkers.  Shirley a mistake.

I emailed the embassy about it a day ago and got no reply. It is still up, so one has to assume the fees will be rising on 19 March 2024, not only in New Zealand, but around the world, unless it is a mistake as you say.

We're also visa exempt so can come in free for 30 days.  Then jump across to Vientiane for Tourist visa which gives another 60 days and once that's nearly done apply for a 30 day extension. 

Why would anyone pay those new prices? 

4 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

That's just dumb.  Fly to Vientiane and get a tourist visa for 1900 baht. 

That's just NZ$85

I knew things were expensive in NZ (and that's one of the reasons why I left Nov 2023) but I thought Thailand was suppose to be encouraging people to come visit. 

Crazy crazy crazy

These are the new prices beginning 19 March 2024. Therefore, if you went to Vientiane on or after that date it could well be the same price as New Zealand, give or take, because they generally standardise prices around the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

why?? arrive get a 30 day FREE visa exempt
30 day extension 1,900 baht ( $53)
or travel and get one in laos, malaysia, Cambodia for $40!
what is wrong with new Zealand? 

2 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

why?? arrive get a 30 day FREE visa exempt
30 day extension 1,900 baht ( $53)
or travel and get one in laos, malaysia, Cambodia for $40!
what is wrong with new Zealand? 

I wonder if those prices will also increase. If visas outside the country are the same price as New Zealand, it would make sense to increase the extension prices inside the country at the same time.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

It's been 20 years since the price of visas and extensions increased.  The last time this happened was after Thaksin was elected for his first term.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

Good point

extensions ( be them for, 7 days denied, 1 month or 1 year) have been 1,900 baht seems like forever 
Have seen nothing anywhere that would indicate thta will change 
thaksin was elected in 2001 and i dont recall what the extension fees were back than 

11 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

It's been 20 years since the price of visas and extensions increased.  The last time this happened was after Thaksin was elected for his first term.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again.

Thai Embassy in Canberra, Australia, raised the visa fees last September 2022, was that not worldwide?

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/fees/

8 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

extensions ( be them for, 7 days denied, 1 month or 1 year) have been 1,900 baht seems like forever 
Have seen nothing anywhere that would indicate thta will change 
thaksin was elected in 2001 and i dont recall what the extension fees were back than 

Maybe Callmeishmael remembers? 

4 minutes ago, george said:

Thai Embassy in Canberra, Australia, raised the visa fees last September 2022, was that not worldwide?

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/fees/

Yep, it was. The New Zealand fees changed at the same time as the Australian ones, as per the current fee schedule posted at the the top of this topic. The other embassies probably haven't got around to posting the new fee schedule yet. It's 3 weeks away.

They keep in line with the Thailand Elite 

And when they say the want tourists it doesn't mean they want westerners. And I reckon that western expats are even less welcome than western tourists. Unless they can afford certain kinds of visas. Go west young man...

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kiwifarang said:

I emailed the embassy about it a day ago and got no reply. It is still up, so one has to assume the fees will be rising on 19 March 2024, not only in New Zealand, but around the world, unless it is a mistake as you say.

I just check the Embassy site in the USA and no mention of changes in fees. Strange other than it apparently coincides with moving to the E-visa system but that shouldnt affect fees like that

Edited by Dan O
spelling

1 minute ago, Dan O said:

I just check the Embassy site in the USA and no mention of changes in fees. Strange other than it apparently coincides with moving to the E-visa system but that should affect fees like that

Yes, Wellington, New Zealand is moving to e-visa around mid-next month, so I think it is probably tied in with that. No more applying at the Embassy, all online.