I cannot receive a security code sms from a major bank in Australia

I am trying to set up a new NAB account in Australia, however I can't receive the sms security code they send using my AIS network.   Can't do anything with NAB acc without the code.

AIS informs me today that the government blocks bank codes from many foreign countries ... and she showed me the list, Germany, Austria, Australia and another 20-30 more.

The NAB lady who tried to send the sms security code told me others in Thailand do receive it, however she said some have problem and don't receive it .....

hence,   I'm wondering are the one's who can receive the sms using DTAC or NT or True. 

AIS will ask the engineer if anything can be done,  she also suggested maybe I get an Australian SIM to use for receiving the code ... ( I don't want that hassle ) ...

Has anyone else ever had this problem with an overseas bank sms and security codes ....   ??

2 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

I have an NAB account and I receive a security SMS on my Thai mobile number from the bank whenever I perform a transaction.

I am with DTAC.

aha .... that's good to know Jai Dee,  maybe I need a DTAC number ...  not an AIS.

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

aha .... that's good to know Jai Dee,  maybe I need a DTAC number ...  not an AIS.

From memory I was able to set it all up from my Internet Banking Account Profile... set the email address and phone number for contact details.

There is also an option to use the Messaging function which will allow you to communicate with a bank representative instead of trying to phone them.

NAB Contact Details:

Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 7:00pm (AEST/AEDT)
Saturday to Sunday, 9:00am to 6:00pm (AEST/AEDT)

Call us using the NAB app or from the following numbers.

Within Australia: 13 22 65

Overseas: +61 3 8641 9083

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jai Dee said:

From memory I was able to set it all up from my Internet Banking Account Profile... set the email address and phone number for contact details.

The problem is they only have what the Citibank profile was ....   and to change the number, address or anything you need to receive a security code.   haha

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The problem is they only have what the Citibank profile was ....   and to change the number, address or anything you need to receive a security code.   haha

Catch 22... 555

You could try the Messaging Option in either the Online Banking Service or the NAB App on your smart phone... :cool:

https://www.nab.com.au/help-support/personal-banking/manage-online-banking/register-login-online-banking

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:
6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I get SMS codes from NAB on my AIS number.

aha ....  strange that I can't ... using AIS also. 

I'm with AIS here and I've never had any problem with receiving OTP, including Citibank and (I think) NAB. But recently, with the NAB takeover of Citi Oz just completed, I've had 2 occasions when NAB said they sent me a secure SMS and I never received them ...

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I had the same problems.

If you can, get yourself an AldiMobile pay as you go sim for $5.00 and just top it up when required.

With your phone taking two sim cards, it makes it even easier.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/collections/payg

The problem with that is it's only 60 days ,  then top up is $15 ....  so just to have that sim in the phone for a year may add up somewhat ....

2 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Catch 22... 555

You could try the Messaging Option in either the Online Banking Service or the NAB App on your smart phone... :cool:

yeah'   I've only logged in using the website ... then log-in.   I might download the app on my mobile and see if I can get any further after logging in ...

good idea... worth a try.

Edited by steven100

3 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I'm with AIS here and I've never had any problem with receiving OTP, including Citibank and (I think) NAB. But recently, with the NAB takeover of Citi Oz just completed, I've had 2 occasions when NAB said they sent me a secure SMS and I never received them ...

exactly,  and this is the problem ...    there's something a miss with sending and receiving ...

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

yeah'   I've only logged in using the website ... then log-in.   I might download the app on my mobile and see if I can get any further after logging in ...

I don't think that will work... they will send you a security code via SMS so your number must be linked to your NAB ID.

image.png.3ae77ee4b1f36091c3dd4e10d710ab2c.png

7 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

I don't think that will work... they will send you a security code via SMS so your number must be linked to your NAB ID.

image.png.3ae77ee4b1f36091c3dd4e10d710ab2c.png

now ... I just remembered ... I tried to download the NAB app to my OppoA83 from Play Store and it say's device incompatible ... I don't know why .. but it says that.    so there's a slight problem ...  haha 😕

Edited by steven100

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

If you can get a blank Telstra sim from oz you could register it using the mobile Telstra app and then have the bank use that number.

aha .... that's a possibility,  although I wasn't keen on any Aussie SIM ...   i'd sooner change carriers here in Thailand if that works ...  

13 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Catch 22... 555

https://www.nab.com.au/help-support/personal-banking/manage-online-banking/register-login-online-banking

I may have to change to DTAC to receive the codes,  and I don't mind doing that because I don't use my mobile for anything but receiving 1-2 calls every few weeks ... mainly internet sometimes.

If I can change to DTAC ....  and keep my existing mobile number then maybe ok ... ??

I would suggest asking NAB if they can enable transactions on your account without requiring a security code. I don't need one for transactions with my credit union.

I get security codes from a couple of Australian financial institutions on my Truemove account, dual SIM. The service provider in Australia is Aldi.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

now ... I just remembered ... I tried to download the NAB app to my OppoA83 from Play Store and it say's device incompatible ...   so there's a slight problem ...  haha 😕

I use the NAB app on my Samsung S21 Ultra without any issues, but I prefer to use the Internet Banking service on my PC.

Bigger screen and a proper keyboard... :cool:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

aha .... that's a possibility,  although I wasn't keen on any Aussie SIM ...   i'd sooner change carriers here in Thailand if that works ...  

Aldi is very affordable, $15 buys you one year's PAYG period. Every time you top up, the year is reset.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

Aldi is very affordable, $15 buys you one year's PAYG period. Every time you top up, the year is reset.

I think the T sim is good for 6 or 12 months so a single top up will also last. I just got a message from them saying my service will cease in March if I don't top up.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1