Maybe Thailand should follow Korea and be more selective of expats/tourists

webfact

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Japan is worst. They've actually suffered stagnation to their economy for decades, an ageing population, but they refuse to let any immigrants in. 

Old British guys  in Pattaya would love to hear that. 

You are right.I do.

• Agree 2

Bearing in mind the current trend toward visa free entry to LOS in pursuit of ever more “tourists”, I doubt this will ever progress beyond indignant righteousness expressed online.

frankly, I personally can’t be bothered to rise to the bait of most of what is expressed in the article.

Korea are not so reliant on tourism, if Thailand starts to be selective I suggest they increase there manufacturing and import people who will work in a factory to produce all those items to make up for the loss of Tourism revenue

• Like 1

KoIp

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

If you go to Penang, Malaysia, and compare the tourists there versus tourists in Thailand, based on their behaviour, I definitely believe Thailand should be more selective on who they let in, and focus on quality rather than quantity. Quality tourists might actually be discouraged from visiting, when the entire <deleted> of the Universe is let in.

Korea are not so reliant on tourism, if Thailand starts to be selective I suggest they increase there manufacturing and import people who will work in a factory to produce all those items to make up for the loss of Tourism revenue

6 hours ago, webfact said:

In the wake of our recent discussion on the stringent immigration checks faced by Thai nationals abroad, a torrent of responses has unveiled a disconcerting undertone. It prompts us to ask maybe Thailand should go the path of Korea and be more selective of the visa-running, draft dodging, racist, mysoginistic sexpats we let in. 

Thailands tourism and it's associated service industry is inextricably linked to bolstering the GDP of the country.

Policy allows pretty much any short term visitor in to spend thousands of baht, and deal with any fall-out later.

Other countries such as Korea for their own reasons choose to be more selective on who comes in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a more selective approach would be in their best interests but needs to be applied equally to all nations independent and free of any government interference to the process. I do, however, believe it would be difficult to set up such a system in Thailand without compromise. I guess that rules me out. 

Thailand absolutely should do more to screen and track immigrants and tourist alike. But that is diametrically opposed to their "easy visa" approach for the sake of tourist/expat money. Thailand will forever be the land of thieves and smugglers. Easy to get visas, and mixing with the tourist hoards #criminalsdream

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Aren't you a farang? If so, why would you like to see fewer here? So you have the country more to yourself? I'm guessing you think the more money a person has, the better person he might be? History proves that wrong all the time. The ones with the most money seem to be the ones who think they can do anything they want, especially to women, and get away with it. It's one reason so many women here are brainwashed into thinking all farangs are rich, when in reality most people are making ends meet month by month, in many countries besides the US. A lot of us are taking care of wives, children and girlfriends better than the locals do, especially regarding the children, as the locals aren't held responsible as far as child support is concerned. Take a look at how much the average local has in savings and they seem to get by every month. making a farang have so much is prejudiced. In America, a Thai can work soon after they move there. Like milesiinz said," if I married a Thai girl and she came to my country she could get residency in 2 years, and a path to full citizenship. She would have all the facilities of fellow people from my country. There would be NO 90 day reporting or this sort of nonsense."  You'd be surprised how many farangs in other countries read this forum. There are quite a few I know in the states who were thinking of coming here but changed their mind, seeing all that goes on here daily, and went to other resorts for their vacations. As I mentioned earlier, if you treat expats bad, that will backfire in how Thais are treated in other countries. Many Asians are attacked in the states by people who developed prejudice by seeing their friends or family hurt by an Asian. Countries that use their heads and treat each other well have much better results.

Stupid rant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

I think the rules should rely on the definition of tourism. Authorities should systematically questions tays longer than the duration of normal annual leave in the country of origin of the so called tourist. 

How do you define a retired person's annual leave. Ridiculous statement 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, retarius said:

I would certainly like to see far fewer farangs here. Maybe they could jack up the 800K in the bank for inflation over the past 20 years....it might make it 2 million and jack up the income required to 200K per month, and then treat the people here much better than now and stop this vile overcharging for farangs. 

"jack up the 800K in the bank for inflation over the past 20 years....it might make it 2 million and jack up the income required to 200K per month" [...] "stop this vile overcharging for farangs."

Which will it be? You are very obviously contradicting yourself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1