Not sleeping well

sirineou

5 hours ago, sirineou said:

66 years old and for the past year I have not been sleeping well. I don't eat after six, I take multivitamins , B1 complex, melatonin and Magnesium.

I also often take Benadryl which gives me 7-8 hours of sleep.

If I don't take Benadryl 6 -7 hours  Usually interrupted by  1 hour half way through, which is why I always have a book on my nightstand.  . 

I am aware of the health benefits of  a good night's sleep , but also apprehensive about long term Benadryl use, 

I understand that as we age our sleep patterns change, and I am sure I am not the only one with this issue.

So I wonder how do you deal with such issue. I would appreciate and would consider any advice. 

I don't try and regulate it. If I wake up in the early hours, I get up and go for a spin on my scooter. My sleep pattern is all over the place, but it doesn't concern me. Sleep when I'm tired. That's it.

But I do visit a spa or other form of sauna/hot/cold baths almost daily. That will make you extremely drowsy. Knocks me out about an hour later. Might try that. Pills and the like? No thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john donson said:

keep me awake... paradoxical effect

same as l-tryptophan, precursor of serotonin...

hot room is a problem and I can't sleep with airco on, not even a fan

hyperaccusis

Do you take blood-pressure meds? Because I think there's some incompatibility between theanine and blood-pressure medications.

5 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I don't try and regulate it. If I wake up in the early hours, I get up and go for a spin on my scooter. My sleep pattern is all over the place, but it doesn't concern me. Sleep when I'm tired. That's it.

But I do visit a spa or other form of sauna/hot/cold baths almost daily. That will make you extremely drowsy. Knocks me out about an hour later. Might try that. Pills and the like? No thanks!

They say that people who sleep good live long lives. My brother John sleeps like a baby , and I don't want to die before him, because god knows what the bastard he would say at my funeral. :tongue:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

They say that people who sleep good live long lives. My brother John sleeps like a baby , and I don't want to die before him, because god knows what the bastard he would say at my funeral. :tongue:

I like that. I decided that setting yourself a target NOT to die before, was a good way to keep ticking along happily. I'm refusing to go before the tundra melts and swallows up most of Siberia. Nothing personal you understand.

1 minute ago, JackGats said:

Do you take blood-pressure meds? Because I think there's some incompatibility between theanine and blood-pressure medications.

I do take 10 mg lisinopril in the morning and 5 mg at night because my cardiologist said that Lisinopril had a short half life. 

I just checked and theanine lowers blood pressure, so the combination might lowere the blood preasure too much.

I guess I can try replacing the 5 mg of lisinopril in the evening with the  theanine and see how it works with the sleep and also the BP . 

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

I like that. I decided that setting yourself a target NOT to die before, was a good way to keep ticking along happily. I'm refusing to go before the tundra melts and swallows up most of Siberia. Nothing personal you understand.

It pays to have targets in life :laugh:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

My main anxiety is NOT waking up, not the inability to fall asleep. Is there a cure for that? I guess not.

Yes move next to thar Russian family from the "Noisy Russian neighbors" thread.

Apparently they can wake up the dead :laugh:

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Suggestion, and you know Yr body best, cut all of that in half.

Try to stop the benadryl or wean yourself off it. It can be addictive and cause dementia and altzeimer issues long term use. (According to some reports).

Try eating a banana an hour before bed.That aids sleep also because it has magnesium and other goodies.

Breathing, Try the 4-4-8 breath in deeply for 4 secs, hold it for 4, let it out slowly for 8.

You might rry swapping the melatonin for L- theanine.

All the above are suggestions. Make of them what you will.

disclaimer: I am not a Dr. You may wish to consult one before taking anything, especially if you are taking any other medications.

There are innumerable ways for better sleep.

Depends on your personal health conditions including weight, BMI, exercise, BP, habits,food, social conditions (married, friends also) and age. And much more. And a lot of proven herbal ingredients. 

Melonatin doesn't work for me. It has the effect of weed that's too strong. I spend hours thinking of really weird stuff and not knowing if I slept or not.

I tried weed because it worked in the UK but it doesn't have the same effect here. Many swear by it so possibly try it. You could try the drops, gummies or brownies. I haven't tried so I can't be certain.

I have huge problems actually getting to sleep. Once I'm gone it's no issue. People who say that you shouldn't obsess about it mean well but have no idea . Sleep deprivation starts in the afternoon when you start dreading going to sleep. I'd love to meditate but I find the more I focus on relaxing the more I get stressed that I'm still awake. It's an obsession for many.

The only certain aides I've used over the years are, sadly, alcohol. I actually don't enjoy drinking but it has helped. Definitely the last consideration you should take though.

I take half a tablet of zolpidem each night. Again, not ideal but it works and eradicates that dread because I know I will sleep. I also take these Himalayan vitamins that work well on my moods and take the edge off. I'd recommend them highly but check with your doctor.

I agree wholeheartedly about the hours you get. 6 would be sufficient and probably the norm for most adults. If you're getting 6 plus you're fine and that should be what you think about. Hopefully being content with the knowledge you'll get 6 will ease the anxiety. If you can sleep until 5am I'd take that and get up early and enjoy the peace. Getting into the routine that you have to be up at 5 will ease your mind completely.

A few natural tips. Pitch black room. Some white noise like a fan. No clocks in the room or digital things. Make your room spotlessly clean. Nothing that could potentially wake you up, like leaving your phone on. No caffeine after midday. Only go to bed when you're tired, don't force it.

Last one. Your missus might hate me for this, but I sleep on the floor on a kind of 6 inch thick, soft floor mat. If I sleep next to someone one turn, knock, kick or snore can disrupt my sleep and set me off again. When I'm on the floor on my own that eradicates any danger of being woken up prematurely, or stopping me from that vital ten minutes of nodding off.

The best if luck to you and let us know if you get any good tips.

I use to have sleeping problems and I tried exercising which helped a lot. But the one thing that helps me get a goods night sleep is smoking a joint before bedtime. Cannabis works great for sleeping. There are certain strains that are good for sleeping.

Sometimes I sleep bad. One reason is for sure the bad air quality.

Instead of trying to sleep again I go to my PC and watch some YouTube videos. Normally I am tired again after maybe 15 to 30 minutes and then I go to bed and sleep again.

It's not perfect but IMHO better than turning around and trying to sleep again knowing it won't work. 

Have you tried removing the weight of your concerns off your shoulders prior to sleeping?

My method is a prayer prior to sleep.  I unload my problems and request a good night sleep.  An interesting result follows.  The body obeys the command.

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

66 years old and for the past year I have not been sleeping well. I don't eat after six, I take multivitamins , B1 complex, melatonin and Magnesium.

I also often take Benadryl which gives me 7-8 hours of sleep.

If I don't take Benadryl 6 -7 hours  Usually interrupted by  1 hour half way through, which is why I always have a book on my nightstand.  . 

I am aware of the health benefits of  a good night's sleep , but also apprehensive about long term Benadryl use, 

I understand that as we age our sleep patterns change, and I am sure I am not the only one with this issue.

So I wonder how do you deal with such issue. I would appreciate and would consider any advice. 

I'm 74 years old and normally don't have sleep problems. I'm mainly B-human – sleeps late and wake up late after an excellent sleep – but I follow my body, or "listen" to my body, and sleep when tired, and wake up when I wake up, not by an alarm clock. Some times I take a nap in the afternoon, if my body needs it; it would be around 45 minutes. I'm former from music business, so my sleeping pattern might originate from that.

I take a Central multi mineral-vitamin once a week, and extra B-12 complex once a week – B12 since I many years back had vision nerve infection, and B12 keeps me free of that infection – furthermore, I take a 1,000mg daily vitamin-C.

I enjoy a glass of wine (about 12.5cl) or two with my dinner, but otherwise hardly drink any alcohol.

And yes to change of sleeping pattern. Where I before to my awake knowledge would sleep all night of 7-8 hours through, I now wake up a couple of times – seems like 1½ hour patterns – now being aware of my exiting dreams; it's actually a quite nice experience to know one's dreams.

1000mg of magnesium glycinate is far too much.  400mg is enough per day, you should not really exceed this. Too much magnesium has the opposite reaction, it keeps you awake rather than make you feel sleepy.  

• Thanks 1

First take magnesium taurate which also protect the heart b.e.f.o.r.e you go to sleep at least 2 hours and do not take magnesium cistrate or oxide which is only for .....wc.....

Besides of that with magnesium taurate eat little sweets in order to absorb it 80%-90%.

Second take melatonin or serotonin b.e.f.o.r.e you go to sleep at least 2 hours

Third stay calm -relax away from any daily activity and.....close your TV or PC-Smartphone in your bedroom.

Fourth go to a massage shop near of your house for massage.

Fifth do not drink water before you go to bed.

Finally sixth do not take B1 thiamine b.e.f.o.r.e you go to sleep instead you can take multivitamin B with your meals

Vitamin B1 thiamine is not for relax but to mantain your neurologic system furthermore take it with a good quality oil in order to be absorbable.

.................................................................................................................

Now pay attention when the previous day our body has slept 1-2 hours less this means the next day we will have a sleep deficit of 1-2 hours.
The day after if we sleep for instance 7 hours instead of 8 hours it means that the next day we will have a 1-hour sleep deficit. (if we have slept less hours you can figure it out in what horrible situation we are  heading because everyday we wil feel "tired" or in bad mood).
So in 3 days the body will have a lack of sleep not 2 hours but 3 hours because it affects the body cumulatively.
We may sleep every day but we have a sleep deficit in resting the body because each day of sleep deficit adds to the next day cumulatively.

Source:

Stages of Sleep: What Happens in a Sleep Cycle

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/stages-of-sleep

Edited by Paris333
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sirineou said:

I would appreciate and would consider any advice

Do you drink alcohol? 

I notice a big difference in the quality of my sleep at nights that I don't drink beer. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Do you drink alcohol? 

I notice a big difference in the quality of my sleep at nights that I don't drink beer. 

No not really. I would have a beer during the day, especially after working in the garden on hot day. but never after 6 pm.  

9 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I use to have sleeping problems and I tried exercising which helped a lot. But the one thing that helps me get a goods night sleep is smoking a joint before bedtime. Cannabis works great for sleeping. There are certain strains that are good for sleeping.

I have heard that,but  i cant handle pot . I am no angel i have smocked in my youth, but I had not smocked for decades and found my self in a car with a couple of friends who were smocking, and said what the heck let me have some. 

I am  not sure if the stuff you guys smoke now days is a lot stronger than back then, or I am a lightweight, but I did not enjoy the experience at all! and that was the last time i tried it about 10 years ago.

I winder if there is a superman in a pill or extract form that would help. That might be something to look into. 

7 hours ago, Globalres said:

1000mg of magnesium glycinate is far too much.  400mg is enough per day, you should not really exceed this. Too much magnesium has the opposite reaction, it keeps you awake rather than make you feel sleepy.  

Hmm , unfortunately it is in capsule form and can't be cut in half . I have to look into this and if correct throw them out. 

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sometimes I sleep bad. One reason is for sure the bad air quality.

Instead of trying to sleep again I go to my PC and watch some YouTube videos. Normally I am tired again after maybe 15 to 30 minutes and then I go to bed and sleep again.

It's not perfect but IMHO better than turning around and trying to sleep again knowing it won't work. 

I am a Youtube junkie also . I have been told that it is not a good idea looking a screens because the glare  disrupts your sleep patterns , but I also watch a little bit before I go to sleep but I don't have any problem falling asleep. just have a problem   getting a full 8 hours. I also wake up and read for about an hour before I go back to sleep , I use a paperwhite Kindle that does not have much glare for that reason. 

29 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I am a Youtube junkie also . I have been told that it is not a good idea looking a screens because the glare  disrupts your sleep patterns , but I also watch a little bit before I go to sleep but I don't have any problem falling asleep. just have a problem   getting a full 8 hours. I also wake up and read for about an hour before I go back to sleep , I use a paperwhite Kindle that does not have much glare for that reason. 

The wrong kind of light is definitely not good for sleeping. I set my monitor at night to minimum brightness.

And at night I don't watch anything were I have to concentrate (to learn). 

• Agree 1

Now 82 years old and in good health I have never slept more than 3-4 hours per night, without any apparent ill effects. I wonder if we worry too much about the necessary 8 hours we are told we should have.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

No not really. I would have a beer during the day, especially after working in the garden on hot day. but never after 6 pm.  

I found the time of day when you drink alcohol is irrelevant. 

Try going a few days, week without, your sleep will improve. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bradiston said:

My main anxiety is NOT waking up, not the inability to fall asleep. Is there a cure for that? I guess not.

Why would you worry about that? Dying peacefully in one's sleep is a much better alternative to being racked with pain, going out screaming.