South Korean YouTuber sparks tuk tuk fare controversy in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Somjit allegedly also asserted that Grab taxi services were illegal in the area, a claim Hong found surprising, having used the service during his numerous trips to Thailand over the past two decades.

The video, which forms part of Hong’s journey through Thailand’s 77 provinces, prompted a response from a local Facebook page, Ayutthaya Station. It urged relevant authorities to investigate the incident, citing potential harm to the image of Thailand’s tourism sector

If he's used this service during his numerous trips over two decades then he know how Thailand rolls.. 

Why the sudden surprise.

This guy must be smoking too much weed. The tuk tuk service is very reasonable. We had 3 persons and did 4 hours tour of all the ruins including waiting for you to take photo and walk around. I negotiated to 1200b. He should stop bitching. The grab will cost more if you go around the city to see the ruins. 

I am not in favor of tuk tuk drivers in Thailand and anywhere, specially having been in Pattaya in the 90's for over 15 years. However this Korean kid seems to be a "green"behind his ears...if you don't like it you could've walk away, or treating the driver you at gunpoint? 1200 the for 4 hours is NOT out of this world and a regular tour with a tourist company would have cost you much more...or you just wanted to make a point as an "important" influencer on your TikTok account?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Equally so, the forceful tactics could have compelled the Korean to simply walk away..

1220 baht for a 4hr TukTuk sight seeing trip doesn’t seem excessive & every first timer wants their TukTuk experience….

Perhaps negotiate a 100 baht fare the the Grand Palace next time… 

The Tuk Tuk driver should have been compensated with about 4000 Baht for having to suffer 4 hours of driving around with an obnoxious  Korean as a passenger. They make the Chinese look like pleasant customers.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

The Tuk Tuk driver should have been compensated with about 4000 Baht for having to suffer 4 hours of driving around with an obnoxious  Korean as a passenger. They make the Chinese look like pleasant customers.

I'm not so sure about that...  the only obnoxiousness I see here is your racism.. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not so sure about that...  the only obnoxiousness I see here is your racism.. 

Since when is somebody racist because they call somebody obnoxious shut up!!

28 minutes ago, arick said:
34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Since when is somebody racist because they call somebody obnoxious shut up!!

Since you called the YouTuber obnoxious simply because he is Korean.....    and then cast another broad brush stroke with further racism against the Chinese....

Its racism - but then bigots and racists are usually insufficiently educated to identify their own prejudice, so it may not be expected that you understand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Not to run them - but to make the rules and direct the local authorities that they must adhere to their set guidlines of behaviours etc. or face dismissal.

How long have you been in Thailand? It makes no difference at all what guidelines or even laws are introduced. No-one takes any notice as none are enforced. Anywhere in the country. Ever. Unless you want to buy a can of Singha at 7-Eleven in the heat of a tropical afternoon. Then there's a problem. That is the only law I can think of that is enforced by some.

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

And 8000 if he had to ferry a obnoxious racist around. Why do you feel a need to come on here and make such pathetic comments based purely on your own prejudice, nothing else. What a strange person you are.

• Like 1

I think this S/Korean guy did very well, 4 hours at the price he paid was a giveaway. 30 years ago I paid a taxi drive 1000Baht for a half day tour from BKK to Ayutthaya with my grand children. The service was 100%, even to the driver taking us around the site with a history lesson on some of the more interesting sites.

What the hell is the Korean guy complaining about? Or, as I suspect, is he trying to make a name for himself back home?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

South Korean rapper and YouTuber, Il Hong Min, commonly known as Phi Hong, recently aired his dissatisfaction with a tuk tuk service

How dare he bring the reputation of Thailand in dispute, sue him. :whistling:

Maybe it was not a rip-off price for a four hour booking, but looks like he only enquire about a short ride to a destination which the driver responds that they only offer the 4 hour option as a minimum... 

6 hours ago, Roo Island said:

We take them all the time. Wifey is really good at negotiating the rate. Otherwise, like you say, a rip off.

Same. My Thai wife can almost always get a good price. I tell friends that visit to take a tuk-tuk once for the novelty, then avoid them like the plague unless you don't mind paying the inevitable inflated price or being taken somewhere the driver gets a commission. Not to defend the grifter overcharging, but even the "tourist" price is still dirt cheap compared to taxi prices in most people's home countries. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That response is so dumb it’s entertaining!!

Tourists using TukTuks have half a brain or you mean I only have half a brain for suggestion the use of TukTuks is one of Thailands tourist attractions…??? 

Darwin does indeed ‘usually’ rule, you should thank your parents for slipping one past the goalie !!!! 🤣

I try to cater to my audience. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed....  Phuket used to be especially good at this...

Negotiate a TukTuk home after boosy evening... 4 of you in the TukTuk and he quotes 300 baht....  Fair enough.

You get to your destination and he's asking for 1200 baht, the 300 baht was each !!! - cheeky-feckers.... the issue of course is that they know they can turn to violence and get away with it so they escalate very very quickly....

So.. the above never happened to me... BUT... the try to be misleading - i.e. TukTuk... ok 200 baht.... 200 baht each, or for all of us... 200 baht...   each or all ?... 200 baht... Its very difficult to get them not to be vague and I'm sure while on the journey the work out how they can extort more.

So... Yeah... I avoid TukTuks wherever possible, but recall, last time I was in Phuket, speaking Thai with them the rides and pricing was actually very smooth, no hassles, so I think its only the new tourists who are getting stung.

Tourists have been warned to not take the tuc tucs in Phuket these days, and every hotel or restaurant has a cheap , comfortable option for you. 

Last time in Phuket the queue for parked tucs was a km long ! They have committed business suicide. 

Another quiet day at the news desk?

Honestly, who is really interested in South Korean YouTuber's learning curve of tourism in Thailand; nothing new there and now this kiddo has learnt his lesson as well. Next please 😉