Scientists Are Freaking Out About Ocean Temperatures

Social Media

3 hours ago, johng said:

But are definitely caused by "global warming"  and that warming is definitely caused by human activity ?

Global warming is clearly caused by human activity.

This article is about ocean warming and the question of why it is occurring so rapidly. I'm sorry that you don't understand the article.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Ah, yes. Just watched the movie, “The Day After”. Fortunately, I am already living in warmer climate and will not have to seek refuge in Mexico.

Just do what the doomsday cultists do.

Pretend to be concerned, pontificate, then carry about your daily life without making any changes whatsoever. 

If you want to be an elitist doomsday cultist, take 50+ private jets per year, buy several beachside mansions (despite preaching about rising sea levels) and buy carbon credits as a virtue signal.

Job's a good 'un. Some turkeys will vote for it as this thread shows. 

Talk is cheap.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hearted that.

I'm sure they have the plans already in progress, probably for the Maldives, where they can measure the temperature for themselves by swimming in it.

As usual "scientists claim" but not a single solution to be uttered by them. Can't keep the peasants in their place if they aren't afraid of something.

Scientists examine cause and effect, nobody wants to listen to them if it affects profits, the technocrats can offer solutions as long as it doesn't mean a big cut in greenhouse gasses. It's an unfortunate situation, our civilization is built around fossile fuels, it just isn't possible to suddenly make rapid reductions and yet by waiting the solution (and damage) will become ever more expensive with the possibility of there being no solution. Expect more, millions more, climate refugees to Northern regions. Alaska and Siberia have a brilliant future in front of them, Asia and Africa not so much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Just do what the doomsday cultists do.

Pretend to be concerned, pontificate, then carry about your daily life without making any changes whatsoever. 

If you want to be an elitist doomsday cultist, take 50+ private jets per year, buy several beachside mansions (despite preaching about rising sea levels) and buy carbon credits as a virtue signal.

Job's a good 'un. Some turkeys will vote for it as this thread shows. 

Talk is cheap.

If you want to tell us that you flunked Science, just say so. Don't bother us with CT that science is wrong because someone has a jet.

Maybe next you will tell us that the Law of Gravity is fake because some billionaire flew in space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Scientists examine cause and effect, nobody wants to listen to them if it affects profits, the technocrats can offer solutions as long as it doesn't mean a big cut in greenhouse gasses. It's an unfortunate situation, our civilization is built around fossile fuels, it just isn't possible to suddenly make rapid reductions and yet by waiting the solution (and damage) will become ever more expensive with the possibility of there being no solution. Expect more, millions more, climate refugees to Northern regions. Alaska and Siberia have a brilliant future in front of them, Asia and Africa not so much.

The long term effects of climate change can't be predicted now with specificity. Maybe Russia will get warmer, or maybe parts will turn into cold deserts.

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

They cant do that cuz  they told me it  would be underwater  by 2020 way back in 1989 when i went there.......?

Maybe the experts in Maldives got the date wrong, but sea levels are rising in the Maldives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_in_the_Maldives#:~:text=By 2050%2C 80% of the,entire country could be submerged".

The Climate change Cycle is a reality and has already, and will into the future, CHANGE, with or without our help.

We're probably fortunate that the ocean (and the Earth's) temperature is warming up..   record crops growth around the world currently - food sustains life!   

The current alarmism has turned climate change into the climate industry, lots of people making money out of it, which isn't a bad thing.

At this point if time on this Earth, I'd prefer to be here now, as opposed to some time in the distant future when world temperatures are dropping!  Plenty of reason to worry then. I doubt whether humanity could survive an ice age...  the Dinosaurs certainly didn't!

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Well that certainly reads like they haven't a clue, why, or how to, if even possible (it isn't) to stop what may or may not be a problem.

BUT ... need a concerted effort now to combat climate change, when they don't know why it might be warming, or how to stop it.

I did post a thread much earlier, that some are looking at, for a cause of things heating up, but more so, total disaster before climate change or global warming would be an issue.

I read a great deal of concern for the climate but other than expensive conferences that could be done by VDO conferencing, governments are doing sod all other than introducing as many taxes as they can.

Someone is havin' a laff at us- probably the people making loadsacash off it.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, bangkok19 said:

The Climate change Cycle is a reality and has already, and will into the future, CHANGE, with or without our help.

We're probably fortunate that the ocean (and the Earth's) temperature is warming up..   record crops growth around the world currently - food sustains life!   

The current alarmism has turned climate change into the climate industry, lots of people making money out of it, which isn't a bad thing.

At this point if time on this Earth, I'd prefer to be here now, as opposed to some time in the distant future when world temperatures are dropping!  Plenty of reason to worry then. I doubt whether humanity could survive an ice age...  the Dinosaurs certainly didn't!

Errrr, do you want to revisit the reason the dinosaurs died out? While the meteor impact may have triggered a cold period, it wasn't a "normal" ice age as part of the climate cycle.

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I'll only add that IMO many scientists find the results that guarantee their salaries.

Is it your contention that if we stopped using every form of CO2 creating machine on the planet tomorrow it would prevent the climate from changing? Apart from the fact that if we stopped using diesel engines any time soon the problem of climate would be irrelevant as most people would die of starvation, climate will continue to change regardless. All that CO2 is in the atmosphere and no one has convinced me it will vanish. It would help if people stopped burning the rainforest to make hamburgers and palm oil, but that activity shows no sign of stopping, and is apparently increasing.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Maybe the experts in Maldives got the date wrong, but sea levels are rising in the Maldives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_in_the_Maldives#:~:text=By 2050%2C 80% of the,entire country could be submerged".

I can show  you  another  report  claiming they arent going underwater at  all, but i cant be arsed as  anyone who states  anything against electric  cars or  global warming is  labelled a  whatever. U can  look up why the Maldives arent going underwater yourself

The  Maldives  demise is overtourism, MASSIVE over tourism, even back in 89 the sea was full of <deleted>e  around  the islands  I visited, crap just pumped into ocean, worry  not  about global warming and about mass  tourism.

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Also seems like their solution is making things worse, and interfering with the natural correction mother nature does by itself, without human help/hinderance :coffee1:

"In 2020, a three-year study at the University of Plymouth which looked at the Maldives and the Marshall Islands, found that tides move sediment to create a higher elevation, a morphological response that could help low-lying islands adjust to sea level rise and keep the islands habitable. The research also reported that sea walls were compromising the islands’ ability to adjust to rising sea levels and that island drowning is an inevitable outcome for islands with coastal structures like sea walls"

Loss of fresh groundwater & bleaching of the reefs ... hmm

Couldn't possibly be caused by the increased use of ground water by the tourist industry (poor water management), along with added pollution killing the reefs :coffee1:

Blame it on rising temps & seas, as never the govt's or human greed's fault.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I read a great deal of concern for the climate but other than expensive conferences that could be done by VDO conferencing, governments are doing sod all other than introducing as many taxes as they can.

Someone is havin' a laff at us- probably the people making loadsacash off it.

In the US, incandescent light bulbs were banned. That helped a lot in reducing pollution.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll only add that IMO many scientists find the results that guarantee their salaries.

Is it your contention that if we stopped using every form of CO2 creating machine on the planet tomorrow it would prevent the climate from changing? Apart from the fact that if we stopped using diesel engines any time soon the problem of climate would be irrelevant as most people would die of starvation, climate will continue to change regardless. All that CO2 is in the atmosphere and no one has convinced me it will vanish. It would help if people stopped burning the rainforest to make hamburgers and palm oil, but that activity shows no sign of stopping, and is apparently increasing.

If human produced CO2 were to disappear immediately, the natural climate forcing agents would slowly cause cooling. Not catastrophic cooling, but it would be unpleasant.

One of the causes of the collapse of the Roman Empire was a cooling event that caused grain production in North Africa to contract, and pushed Germanic tribes southwards, and eventually into England. 

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Also seems like their solution is making things worse, and interfering with the natural correction mother nature does by itself, without human help/hinderance :coffee1:

"In 2020, a three-year study at the University of Plymouth which looked at the Maldives and the Marshall Islands, found that tides move sediment to create a higher elevation, a morphological response that could help low-lying islands adjust to sea level rise and keep the islands habitable. The research also reported that sea walls were compromising the islands’ ability to adjust to rising sea levels and that island drowning is an inevitable outcome for islands with coastal structures like sea walls"

Loss of fresh groundwater & bleaching of the reefs ... hmm

Couldn't possibly be caused by the increased use of ground water by the tourist industry (poor water management), along with added pollution killing the reefs :coffee1:

Blame it on rising temps & seas, as never the govt's or human greed's fault.

But the seas *are* rising, so there is that.

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I can show  you  another  report  claiming they arent going underwater at  all, but i cant be arsed as  anyone who states  anything against electric  cars or  global warming is  labelled a  whatever. U can  look up why the Maldives arent going underwater yourself

The  Maldives  demise is overtourism, MASSIVE over tourism, even back in 89 the sea was full of <deleted>e  around  the islands  I visited, crap just pumped into ocean, worry  not  about global warming and about mass  tourism.

Sea levels *are* rising, despite your opinion.

8 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The long term effects of climate change can't be predicted now with specificity. Maybe Russia will get warmer, or maybe parts will turn into cold deserts.

Indeed. Some places will become easier to live in, some will be harder.

The climate has been changing for millions of years and will continue to change for the next million years. Buying an electric car won't change that. Humans will adapt, and elites will use it to scare the proles into handing over more money in "green taxes".

Climate related deaths are at an all time low. An inconvenient fact for the Doomsday Cult. 

image.png.92200c091efc5c0239204a47ac8b4d97.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

The climate has been changing for millions of years and will continue to change for the next million years. Buying an electric car won't change that. Humans will adapt, and elites will use it to scare the proles into handing over more money in "green taxes".

Natural climate change usually occurs over thousands of years.

The current warming, caused by human pollution, is happening quickly. 

It may be possible to slow the warming, but only after the politicians follow the science, and not oil industry cash.

14 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Natural climate change usually occurs over thousands of years.... Agree

The current warming, caused by human pollution, is happening quickly. ... Disagree

It may be possible to slow the warming,... Disagree

but only after the politicians follow the science, and not oil industry cash. ... they don't care, it's all about $$$

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Well actually if you think about it . even if the cooling is not catastrophic but unpleasant it would cause more fuel to be burned to heat homes, which it would produce more CO2 , which in turn "natural cooling agents' will cool  a bit more , which would cause more oil to be burned  in turn more "natural agents"....., 

You see where I am going with this?  We would turn into <delated> human popsicles. 

Now you don't want that to happen just to protect the  <deleted> romans do you? ???

:sorry:

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I guess you're not paying attention.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_temperature_record

2000+_year_global_temperature_including_Medieval_Warm_Period_and_Little_Ice_Age_-_Ed_Hawkins.svg.png

I am ... but just disagree with the final conclusion, no matter what the chart says.  Is it really humans causing it, or simply the natural progression.  Humans are such as small number, and take up such a small part of the planet, along with the contribution.  

Really is minute, and I just don't believe it is the cause, as too small of a contribution.  No matter what they try to tell us.

image.png.0db0cebabe8d5d2e4ab1b6a41904e8b7.png

source

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I am ... but just disagree with the final conclusion, no matter what the chart says.  Is it really humans causing it, or simply the natural progression.  Humans are such as small number, and take up such a small part of the planet, along with the contribution.  

Really is minute, and I just don't believe it is the cause, as too small of a contribution.  No matter what they try to tell us.

source

Until and unless you can explain what natural forces are causing the increased warming, you have no case.

On the other hand, it's a trivial calculation to show how increased CO2 from human produced production warms the atmosphere.

Your entire argument is based on Physics being wrong. Did you take Physics in school? How did you do? Did you find any fundamental errors in the class material?

BTW, humans are small, but they have increased atmospheric CO2 from 280 to 420 ppm over the last 100 years.

Edited by Danderman123

4 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

One problem is that if CO2 concentrations get too high, plants will grow more, but their nutrition content will drop.

Also, climate change kills off some plants, while promoting growth of others.

29 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I don't know why you would not buying you would not buying the final conclusion that 

"simply the natural progression.  Humans are such as small number, and take up such a small part of the planet, along with the contribution.   "

It's not like humans contribute disproportionately to other pollution events in out planet given our   "small number"s

So why would they be contributing to CO2 pollution and global warming ???

Haaa. answer that!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Climate related deaths are at an all time low. An inconvenient fact for the Doomsday Cult. 

image.png.92200c091efc5c0239204a47ac8b4d97.png

And when people migrate from the places made uninhabitable to the places that are made easier to live you’ll be ranting against migrants 

• Like 1