AOT and immigration unite to tackle Suvarnabhumi Airport queues

webfact

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have worked in various government departments over the years and brought amalgamated staff in other departmental staff in similar roles to be intergrade into fast track systems with a little tweaking, not hard at all if you have a good look at what is waste.

Flicking open one page and just stamping a book is not what I implied, what I implied is a doable upgrade of existing staff with slight training to bring them up to speed while eliminating a lot of unnecessary repetitive paperwork at immigration officers throughout the country.

Once the repetitive paperwork is eliminated, and staff brought up to speed (retrained), you would have less immigration officers sitting on their rear ends paper shuffling which is a waste, by doing that, you would sent them on their very way to Swampy and other airports to reduce waiting times for those entering the country, while at the same time saving the government 800 new positions, therefore reducing wastage, time and more money to be allocated through bigger budgets.

You believe what you want to believe.  

Totally agree....   systems can be made far more efficient. 

I believe that process is underway with e-gates...  that both Thai's and foreigners can use upon departure.

The TM6 was also abolished...  

So... steps in the correct direction are being taken.

With regards to specifically dealing with foreigners in Thailand,  I for one would like to see some sort of Residence ID Card issue to those on long term Visas...  Whereby its no longer required to carry a passport as ID and where we can 90 day report online (already) and apply for extensions of stay digitally without having to attend Immigration, where e-gates can be used for entry and exit etc.

As you mentioned 4MyEgo - there is a lot of scope for improvement.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Lol, how hard can it be to stamp a passport, that's basically what they do all day, apart from shuffle paper IMO.

They make it look hard......but be fair, they have to enter data into a computer too. Bloody dull job in my mind, but certainly not hard work.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Agree 1

On 2/29/2024 at 11:03 AM, Lazybones said:

They thought they had it scun by introducing the automatic gates for foreigners only to find that the software deleted reentry permits which caused so much confusion that they had to revert to the manual system, thus the massive queues.

Meaning that the autogates can still be used but only by those without visas, single entry visas without re entry permit and visas or extensions that already have re-entry permission such as multiple entry visas and LTR/smart visas? 

• Like 1

Heathrow arrival queues are horrific if you have a visa, Last year travelled with some Thai family members (first UK visit) so stayed with them in the queue. One hour later not even half way to the desk. I collared a border force officer and explained  i was in danger of collapsing, and got us all out of the queue and processed in a couple of minutes.

As for the other visa people, i guess UK will not be a preferred choice this year.

On 2/29/2024 at 1:31 AM, Korat Kiwi said:

"These enhancements will incorporate state-of-the-art technology that can scrutinise power banks without requiring passengers to take off their shoes." 

I didn't know that we were supposed to transport power banks in our shoes.... That's a new one! 

You beat me to it ! 

• 3 weeks later...

Flying into Suvarnabhumi yesterday:

The plane was only half full. Haven't seen that since Covid ended.

Zone 1 Immigration was closed. Zone 2 was open, but no big line. In other words, not many people flying into Thailand.

But ...something strange happened:

When checking in, the Webcam took my photo, but the computer said it was only a 38% match with my prior photo. The second try was a bit better.

I gave the IO my California drivers' license, and he entered that into my record, and let me into Thailand.

On 2/29/2024 at 6:05 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Different issue... but, yes reform would make the renewal of visa process easier... that said... I renewed my marriage visa in a 30 minute time yesterday at immigration... YES I USED AN AGENT... easy in and out.

I did my retirement visa, plus 90day in and out 40 minuets, no agent, I aways do it myself.

Back to the OP, easy solution as has been said, every time I go through immigration, they are at least 30 % of the desks empty, get more staff in .

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kickstart said:

I did my retirement visa, plus 90day in and out 40 minuets, no agent, I aways do it myself.

Back to the OP, easy solution as has been said, every time I go through immigration, they are at least 30 % of the desks empty, get more staff in .

You certainly didn't do it in Chiang Mai... it takes at least 30 minutes to get a number.

The empty desks have employees but they are at snack or lunch most of the time... adding more won't make any difference.