British Runner Completes 2,100 KM Fundraising Run Across Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, 747man said:

But Your NOT ENGLISH or BRITISH,YOU are SCOUSE !!....555 ! 

Your post suggests you are not English .

6 hours ago, grain said:

Right on. Years ago when I was living down South some expats did this for the local orphanage, then after they handed the large sum of money raised to the boss, the expats found out they had bought a new fridge and a TV for the staff lunch room, plus other stuff, and very little, if anything went to the orphans. So after that they decided never to hand over cash, but buy things like packets of baby formulae and diaper's and food for the kids to use. But then it was later found out some of the orphanage staff were selling these products off to the local market.  

Hm,...I know of a Thai club (mainly Farang men with there Thai wives) in a European country that raised 4000 Euro for a school somewhere in Isaan,...a married couple from the Organizers went to Thailand on Holiday and brought the money with them,... but only gave 3000 Euros to the school and kept 1000 for themselves as so called expenses !?!?!? ... there are crooks everywhere and in every community !!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

Running 2000KM in Thailand is no joke. A+ effort sir!

Yes, I can only have the most RESPECT for him !!!

6 hours ago, grain said:

Right on. Years ago when I was living down South some expats did this for the local orphanage, then after they handed the large sum of money raised to the boss, the expats found out they had bought a new fridge and a TV for the staff lunch room, plus other stuff, and very little, if anything went to the orphans. So after that they decided never to hand over cash, but buy things like packets of baby formulae and diaper's and food for the kids to use. But then it was later found out some of the orphanage staff were selling these products off to the local market.  

My exact same experience, laptops and bicycles.............disappeared, the greed  is unstoppable and there are no depths that wont be stooped to.

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why is it your concern, he raised the money and it's up to him where it goes, isn't it?

Its not, I couldnt care  less anymore, you are so fuggin ridiculous at times, as  well YOU know  money disappears easily in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is it ??....    Its not like he can change his mind?... if he says the sponsorship from xx activity goes to xx charity, surely he is obligated to send it there ??? 

I'm not suggesting or implying he won't, but I am pointing out that once he's made his 'statement' of where the sponsorship money will go, he is then pretty much obligated to that unless any alternative decision comes with a good explanation. 

I do get your point though, a lot of posters are 'shoe horning' something negative out of a good deed being done. 

Well done to the chap, nationality is irrelevant... 

No one is   saying its  not a good  deed and  well intentioned, many know money goes  missing easily  in Thailand

36 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

What about his visa status? Did someone check if Mr. Russell is perhaps on overstay after 50 days of running?

Nope... But as a 'wannabe immigration officer' I'm sure you could investigate !!!!   :whistling:

On 3/1/2024 at 8:25 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

That's a huge effort for what is really not very much money. 2800 a day. Good on him, but I'd venture that he had expected to gather a lot more than that when he planned the run. Marathon runners get sponsors on board to raise money for charity. Did he try that route, I wonder?

I suffered the same disappointment though when I gathered items from numerous tennis players, the biggest names in the sport, to auction and raise money for doctors to operate on kids with cleft palates in Indonesia. Only made a few thousand dollars. I expected more.

I figures he likes to run and it's not all about the money.

On 3/1/2024 at 7:38 AM, zhounan said:

Positive action by this guy.

But these things must be financed by government investments and local wealthy elites.

Well done Chris Great achievement. If the government would double that, it would show their caring side. Thanks for giving the Brit Bashers something to be quiet about ha!

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, still kicking said:

Not being nasty he would not even make it from Sydney to Perth 

Why would he want to ? He is in Thailand. Why travel to an even more third world country to be with with even more convicts.😄

• Agree 1

I heard a  thai man i know in cnx raised cash for some cause,but kept it himself.Was caught and now in prison.Don,t know the charges,but  the reason,Serving a few yrs is all i know.If the person gives the money to the cause he ran for then all good