Jomtien Beach Road One Way

D M G

Walked it yesterday and today.  Signs up, a few barriers, newly painted arrows ---> so what do you think the situation is...😜?

As usual, complete idiots. 

There was absolutely NO problem with beach road being two way, yes, traffic was slow because people were admiring the sights, but you had the option of simply going one street over to the second road (or Theppraya road, dunno what they call it) if you wanted to get wherever you're going faster!

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

There was absolutely NO problem with beach road being two way, yes, traffic was slow because people were admiring the sights, but you had the option of simply going one street over to the second road (or Theppraya road, dunno what they call it) if you wanted to get wherever you're going faster!

I think that, maybe, you don't know why they have done this ? They will digging up all along that stretch on the beach-side of the road, to make new parking and to put in some pipes to clear water, so the road will be arounf haof the current width.  I did hear that parking metres will be coming too, but not sure if that is true !

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Tony M said:

I did hear that parking metres will be coming too, but not sure if that is true !

That would annoy the Thai families coming for a relaxed day out by the beach. I wonder what they'll do about the dozens of food vendors on sahmlors who partly blocked the road even before it's greatly reduced in width?

On 3/3/2024 at 10:40 AM, CanadaSam said:

I understood that it would only be one-way during the execution of the works.

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

We've got a map of the one-way system, does anyone have a map or diagram or artists impression of what exactly it is they're going to do? I gather a large part of it is laying new drainage pipes, which we've seen often enough over the last 5 years, so nothing new there, but I've also read something about them 'improving' the area for tourists. In my experience, in Pattaya City Hall speak, that usually involves cutting down lots of big, shady trees and replacing them with mangy palms, because 'the Chinese prefer them'.

"Improving " is just another bogus kickback/contracts with concrete and palms replacing nice natural environment. And the this ridiculous Beach Rd rerouting nonsense. Screenshot_2024-03-06-16-02-45-935_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.d7778e70e5e78937faf8ce8515752788.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, morrobay said:

"Improving " is just another bogus kickback/contracts with concrete and palms replacing nice natural environment. And the this ridiculous Beach Rd rerouting nonsense. Screenshot_2024-03-06-16-02-45-935_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.d7778e70e5e78937faf8ce8515752788.jpg

Thanks. Looks like a Pattaya Beach-style, shade-free sun-drenched Hellscape.

Drove down it this morning from DongTan police box all the way to Chiapruck police box end.

Signs  and barriers stopping people going the other way at every junction but no actual road works.

Funny thing everyone was dutifully keeping to the left lane and the other lane, what would have been the oncoming lane was completely empty, almost as though people are afraid to go in it for fear of meeting an on coming vehicle, so I had a good clear ride all the way in the right hand lane 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't assume anything around here. Saw a pickup*and van* going wrong way btwn Soi ,12&13. On Beach Rd. That parking lot just North of Dong Tan police box is never used much. That area was before a nice sandy shady area. So i guess the plan is to build a 3 or 4 km long parking lot along the beach. Some countries this environmental destruction would not be permitted. But no one is going to try stopping any of that around here. Environmentalists here are living dangerously . ** Of course.

Edited by morrobay

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 2:36 PM, D M G said:

Walked it yesterday and today.  Signs up, a few barriers, newly painted arrows ---> so what do you think the situation is...😜?

Your looking at it. This area in South Jomtien has been this way/mess over a month . No work,nada. All the billions of baht Pattaya /Jomtien takes in from tourism + the money allocated for infrastructure. And most of it goes to these endless kickbacked contracts redoing this palm and concrete sh*tshow along the beach. And then this ' tourism safety bs. And the city cannot even build pedestrian bridges?? Or enforce basic traffic laws.? Screenshot_2024-03-18-15-16-23-528_jp.naver_line.android.thumb.jpg.a6823df1752b863394d6dafeae5fbed8.jpg

I drove from Second Road along Soi 5 to the beach. This is now a one-way road heading west, i.e. towards the beach, yet I met around 6 cars driving in the opposite direction. On Beach Road itself, as usual since the one-way system was begun, bicycles, motorbikes and samlors all believe that it doesn't apply to them, with  2 cars and a truck also deciding that it's silly to follow the signs. It seems to be another of those optional Thai traffic rules, a bit like stopping at a red light, lol.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Screenshot_2024-04-23-16-06-26-608_jp.naver_line.android.thumb.jpg.a458763a84239ccf50e66b94a2ed288b.jpgAbout a month and a half putting up with this ridiculous one way nonsense that is mucho hassle for everyone coming and going. And this is the work to date.Unbelievable

Edited by morrobay

Means nothing. Every time I go down that road people are driving in the wrong direction.  Last Thursday I almost ran head on into two scooters, different locations, going about 20 mph. No cop anywhere to write a ticket.  Both were farangs .... this time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2024 at 9:40 AM, CanadaSam said:

I thought it was going one way because over the next 18 months thy are digging up over hlf of the road to put in drains etc so there won't be room for 2 cars to pass?

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, kwilco said:

Has anyone got an update? Have they started digging up the road?

Yes heavy equipment digging very large ditch beach side for 2m + pipes along most upper/ central beach rd

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 2:59 PM, bkk6060 said:

Jomtien use to be a nice place.

Indeed like Pattaya used to be. So now the concrete/palm tree, unnecessary parking lot, drain pipe , contractor/city hall , bogus "improvement" crew has arrived in Jomtien from Pattaya . "These people" just can't $top $crewing this place up. And putting up with this inconvenient miserable construction environment, no doubt to require retro corrections like In Pattaya 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Out side of some perpendicular to beach rd drain works at the Northern end. These 2m diameter pipes all along the beach are really not necessarily farther South at all. The whole bogus contractor/city kickback project sh*t show is one big miserable inconvenience. On top of that you have more and more of these local lowlifes on motorbikes to put up with. Best thing to happen to them is statistics. I'm taking this sh*tshow personally because I really liked going to Jomtien to get outta Dodge

probably the 5th time they have replaced drain pipes on Jomtien beach road. Was walking Dong Tan beach the other day. Clearly the so called "upgrade" done several years ago had little to no effect and actually magnified the problem in sections where the water now gathers to a clear channel and streams focused directly in two places completely washing away the 50 foot sections of beach! Who's Hi-so nephew who cheated on his engineering exams got the contract ??

Edited by StandardIssue