Bangkok joins forces with Netherlands for eco-friendly urban mobility

webfact

The 2 quickest way to die in Thailand....1: Getting out of your broken down car on an overhead expressway...and 2: Riding a bicycle on the roads....almost as though some drivers try to hit them! 

I was going to add pedestrian crossings..oh and of course.....wait...there's many more ways to die than 2:)

Edited by ChrisY1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

To get into Thai Watsadu in Sakon Nakhon you have to cross a segregated cycle lane that was laid down during the cycling frieze period. Remember 'Bike for mum' and Bike for Dad?'

A while ago whilst crossing the road to access the entrance I had a very close encounter with a motorcyclist, riding against the traffic flow and in the clearly demarcated cycle lane. One in which I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist by the way. And this was in quiet, sleepy Issan, not on the frantic streets of Bangkok.

In Holland, cyclists have priority on the highways. Our well meaning Dutch friends have a lot to learn about the mindset the average Thai road user if they ever hope to introduce their ideas here.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok City hopes that the concept of becoming a walkable and cycling city must be realized,

Average temp/humidity in Amsterdam v average temp/humidity in Bangkok???

Then we can consider the pollution in each city.

Sorry Mr Deputy Governor Wisanu - never going to happen.

• Agree 1

Walkable and cyclable. Ain’t going to happen if they don’t fix the air pollution first. And create pedestrian and cycling paths/lanes that are completely separate from roads for motorized vehicles, otherwise the carnage will be incredible. And last but certainly not least: devise a way to make it impossible for motorcycles to use said pedestrian and cycling paths/lanes. Good luck with that!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

Bangkok will never be a 'walkable and cycling city' - period !

And that is just as well, the pictures show Amsterdam, and with all its restrictions and ridiculous parking fees and many closures, that city is no longer livable.
Many walk out of there screaming because of the frustrations.

It is unthinkable that Bangkok will join forces with Amsterdam because of "environmentally friendly urban mobility"
That city is now no longer livable with all its ridiculous regulations and restrictions.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I'm going to take the contrarian view here and express some optimism that they can improve BKK's last mile using bicycles.   Maybe not for extended travel, but certainly the last mile.

Going the last mile from the BTS/MRT to a nearby destination is doable, though probably not everywhere in town.  I used to ride my bikes all over the Asoke area with no white knuckle incidents.  Even rode a tadpole recumbent 3 wheeler after my bypass surgery.  Enjoyed the heck out of loading the bikes (2 wheelers) onto the longtail boats to tool around the elephant ear, and also Lumpini and Q Sirikit parks.  Which, of course, required riding the streets in between.  So I'm optimistic...

• Thumbs Up 1

The idea is very interesting.

But Bangkok is not any city of Netherlands, in terms of population, urbanisation, climate, businesses and style of life.

My suggestion would be try it in a peripheral city, Trang for example is perfect. But Thai policymakers and Sino-Thai billionaires seem to see no further than Bangkok.

Edited by zhounan
  • Thumbs Up 1

Everyone knows how dangerous it is to either walk across the street or ride a bike in the street in Bangkok.  I don't believe that this is really a problem with a lack of laws; it's a problem with lack of respect for the current laws by drivers in Bangkok.  It seems to me that the first thing that Bangkok needs to do is enforce the existing laws.  Police need to be seen fining drivers massively with stiff penalties (better yet... the fine should be in proportion to the driver's revenue to make it truly painful).  Afterwards they can start considering investments like bike and walking paths.

Pollution. Heat. Humidity. Dangerous roads. Four reasons why bikes are a bad idea. Not that keen on walking in those conditions any distance.