Proof of accomodation needed?

I am coming back to Thailand with a free 30 days visa exemption. I know that I must have an onward flight to exit Thailand within 30 days but I just wanted to know if I also have to show a proof of accomodation at the immigration officer at the airport arrival or isn't necessary. Thai embassy in my country only say to have a proof of accomodation if applying for a tourist 60 days e-visa but they do not mention it with a free visa exemption 

10 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

The rules say proof of accommodations while in Thailand... In nearly 30 years I have never been asked by the IO...   I use booking.com and have confirmation on a hotel room that is fully cancellable... unless I know that is where I will be staying... 

Ok thanks for the information 🙏

11 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

No proof of accommodation requested by Immigration when entering VE.

Just because they don't ask... but they can if they want to... see 4 below.

1. Be from an approved country.
  2. Be visiting Thailand strictly for tourism.
  3. Hold a genuine passport with a valid expiry of over 6 months.
  4. Can provide a valid address in Thailand on entry that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
  5. Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.**
  6. Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers, or 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

4. Can provide a valid address in Thailand on entry that can be verified. This address can be a hotel or an apartment.
  5. Must have a confirmed return ticket exiting Thailand within 30 days. Open tickets do not qualify. Traveling overland by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.**
  6. Provide proof of funds of at least 10,000 THB for single travelers, or 20,000 THB per family during your stay in Thailand.

There is no need to have a return ticket to the country of origin, it's also fine to have an onward ticket to exit Thailand within 30 days 

1 minute ago, Jack1988 said:

There is no need to have a return ticket to the country of origin, it's also fine to have an onward ticket to exit Thailand within 30 days 

The above list is from Thailand web site... if you have an issue with the way it is worded take it up with them... 555

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

That's a nice list you have there. The only thing missing is a link to the source. Care to post it?

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Link to that info, please.

Sounds like it's from a Thai Embassy/Consulate website for a Tourist visa.

6 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

That's a commercial website run by Siam Legal (touting for business) and well known for errors in its information and opinions.

If you must quote, please use only official Immigration or Thai Embassy websites.

Link please... 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Link please... 

Link to what?

You posted a link to a commercial website, not any official Immigration website.
It is not an official Thai Embassy website. Read the full page, not a snippet.

ThaiEmbassy.com

This website is managed by Siam Legal
International - a law firm in Thailand

Copyright © 2021 ThaiEmbassy.com. This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy. All Rights Reserved

Disclaimer: https://www.thaiembassy.com/disclaimer

Posted (edited)

Calm down guys, don't bite too much lol. I've already booked a one way ticket and I will buy an onward flight at the airport, very easy 😝

Edited by Jack1988

1 hour ago, Hardcastle P said:

Doesn't it depend on which IO you use as they all seem to interpret the law differently .

In the visa forum, the acronym IO is variously used to mean "immigration office" or "immigration official"

In the context of this topic, which is about documents to be shown to the immigration official upon arrival at the airport, it can only mean "immigration official"

Every once in a while, I see a post recommending to line up at an immigration counter with a male official with the suggestion that female officials are more likely to ask probing questions or request documents like an accommodation reservation. I have seen no statistical evidence, though, to lend credence to this but it may well be the personal experience of the respective posters.

52 minutes ago, Maestro said:

In the visa forum, the acronym IO is variously used to mean "immigration office" or "immigration official"

In the context of this topic, which is about documents to be shown to the immigration official upon arrival at the airport, it can only mean "immigration official"

Every once in a while, I see a post recommending to line up at an immigration counter with a male official with the suggestion that female officials are more likely to ask probing questions or request documents like an accommodation reservation. I have seen no statistical evidence, though, to lend credence to this but it may well be the personal experience of the respective posters.

I've found a wide smile and a polite greeting to the IO solves all problems.......

You just watch how surly 95% of the travellers are approaching the kiosk

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Can someone suggest me an onward flight that always works? For what country for example 

Any country will do, except Thailand :whistling:

Immigration themselves rarely, if ever, ask, it's the check-in person at your departure point that you have to convince.

There are many "ticket rental" sites that will provide a verifiable booking to get you past check-in for a nominal fee. 

9 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

There's a good chance they'll ask where you are staying, just have a hotel name and address handy.

Doubt it. 

In any event "Nana hotel Soi 4 Sukhumvit" works

• Confused 1

On 3/6/2024 at 7:41 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Link please... 

That would clearly be to the website of the Thai Embassy in the OP's home country, would it not? And, since he has not revealed the particular country in question, may we safely assume that you are the proud possessor of a suitably reliable crystal ball which will be able to furnish us with the necessary information instead? If so:

OP's home country please...

• Confused 1

On a parallel issue here...

I had a friend who just applied for a tourist E-visa via the Los Angeles USA consulate.

In response to his application, they sent him a message asking for proof of his intended accommodation AND a signed version of either the Thai ID (for Thai accommodation operator) or foreign passport (for foreign accommodation operator).

He shared with me the screenshot image of the message he received demanding the accommodation operator ID documentation... He was having a hard time getting the place where he wanted to stay to give him that kind of documentation.

One of the things I suggested to him, if he couldn't resolve the ID documentation issue, was to consider going Visa-Exempt instead of the tourist visa... But apparently he intends on a longer stay than the visa-exempt would provide.

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How long does he want to stay in Thailand 

Sounds like he already bought his plane ticket prior to successfully having obtained his visa...  So the return flight and his intention to stay were both just short of 90 days.

PS - I've been out of the tourist visa world for many years... But this was the first time I can recall ever hearing a demand for a signed ID photocopy from the accommodation operator being part of the tourist visa application process.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK