Thailand: 10 million sought treatment for pollution-related illnesses in 2023

webfact

image.jpeg

More than 10 million Thais sought treatment for illnesses linked to air pollution in 2023, authorities said.

The data from the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC) come as Thailand's air quality is worsening. Widespread farm burning and forest fires, notably in the country's north, often create a noxious smog at the beginning of the year.

The start of 2024 has already seen a jump in cases of pollution-related diseases compared to the previous year.

From 1.3 million in the first nine weeks of 2023, the number of people seeking treatment for pollution-related illnesses increased to 1.6 million at the start of 2024, AFP reported. Thailand has a population of about 72 million.

By Kelly Ng | BBC News

File photo: National News Bureau of Thailand

Full story: BBC 2024-03-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 6
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

More than 10 million Thais sought treatment for illnesses

And I'm sure that none of the doctors had the foggiest idea as to how to treat such compliant...

• Confused 2

And I'm sure a % of these had covid as it continues to circulate. Incidental covid numbers. Something continually dismissed by some on this forum. My lungs haven't been good for sometime now. There was a SWterly blowing for a while, the pm2.5 reduced and my lungs came good. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

It is getting to the point of being a disaster in the making. I have never in all the years I have been here, seen it as bad as it is this year. And nothing is being done. The do nothing PM, and the do nothing authorities are totally unwilling to stand up to the enemy of the people, Big Agra, and their refineries. Something must be done. The indifference is stunning. This is truly a pathetic situation. There should be a public revolt.

We came close to it at our farm,

Don't know how it started,but I can guess. But we almost got burned out.

Got to the farm just in time as it was on our fence, Our storage sead was gust starting to get a bit of fire on it. 

Again we have a day where you can hardly see a couple of miles away from the smog.

flames.thumb.jpg.dd09746a15d0a15d27a33f58cf48ad1b.jpg

backofroom2.thumb.jpg.0d1b5aa522acf785a7f258fba82ba530.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Widespread farm burning and forest fires, notably in the country's north, often create a noxious smog at the beginning of the year.

This is misleading and deceptive news, because the government every year around this season says it's from neighboring countries.

Surely the government can't be wrong, can they ?

8 hours ago, webfact said:

More than 10 million Thais sought treatment for illnesses linked to air pollution in 2023, authorities said

Disgusting.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Widespread farm burning and forest fires, notably in the country's north, often create a noxious smog at the beginning of the year.

Bkk has had high pm 2.5 for months. Only when there is a wind (now predominantly from the SW) can you see the sun. Most days it's just a brownish cloudy sky. What was lacking during the cool season were the NE winds coming down from China. No burning was going so it was all down to pollution from factories and vehicles. As for the 10 million number well that's more than 10% of the population so this number is very suspect.

5 hours ago, john donson said:

what do you expect in this me me me culture

and not speak out off course, because could lose face and consequences...

only 10 million?

My wife often comments on where we live most of the time...(Not Thailand)

But so often on the roads when cars stop & wave our car thru or when we cross roads & they stop for us etc

She always asks why do you never see this in Thailand? I always reply as you did & say it is a me first culture there.

Probably because they were raised with that whole face thing & a hi-so/lo-so class system

4 hours ago, mania said:

My wife often comments on where we live most of the time...(Not Thailand)

But so often on the roads when cars stop & wave our car thru or when we cross roads & they stop for us etc

She always asks why do you never see this in Thailand? I always reply as you did & say it is a me first culture there.

Probably because they were raised with that whole face thing & a hi-so/lo-so class system

Well that might be part of it, but I also think that they weren't taught how to drive as part of their upbringing. I remember when I was first learning how to drive how much time my mother spent with me driving around, and showing me the need to be polite, the need to be respectful, and the need to show courtesy to other drivers. I don't think Thais get any of that sort of education. And I think these days "the lost art of parenting" extends the Thailand as well as the rest of the world. 

15 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

So 1 out of every 7 Thai citizens needed treatment for pollution related illnesses? Sounds like a great place to retire or vacation, don't forget to pack your respirator!

Of course, these figures, like many here, are a complete nonsense. There is no way that such a high a proportion and overall number of people have sought medical treatment for this reason.

How do I know ? Literally no-one in my personal/work circle of several hundred has ever mentioned this and I have never seen a sick leave request on the topic....

Anyway, I give these spurious statistics a free pass as they are rightly drawing attention to this issue - which needs urgent action !