Should I stay or should I go?

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Excellent...    That might be the first positive post I've seen you write about Thailand or something Thai that doesn't involve hookers or booze !!!!.....

And there you have it...   focus on the good things and let the 'negative' things just wash away.

So..  when you go back there for your 'excellent 60 Baht Pad Thai' and the wonderful waitress makes a small mistake with your bill, its just a mistake and mistakes happen.... Its not because the waitress suddenly hates foreigners and is trying to rip you off.... 

The whole point of the metaphor is to keep doing the positive things...  place yourself in a situation where positive things are more likely to happen.... (and by that, I also mean 'mental approach').... and if something negative happens, evaluate how 'truly negative' it really is.... 

-------

For example: I'm currently fairly immobile after encountering a sporting injury which some may consider not insignificant...   This forces me to encounter far more Thai's than I usually would on a daily basis...   this of course is perfectly fine by me, but it also means I am witnessing more stupid stuff going on within my immediate surroundings..... And not to Thai Bash, in the same situation in the UK, I also witnessed more stupid stuff going on within my immediate surroundings..... its simply a facet of being exposed to more people in a day to day encounters means there is a higher chance of encountering more dumb people, thats all.... 

So...  when I do encounter something galactically stupid, I just ignore it and move on.... its going to happen again before the day is over !!!...

One example of this is walking into a medical supplies shop to order some supplies....   I knew what I wanted, I'd researched what I'd needed, I'd found the items on Lazada (and had spent a lot of the day in hospital looking at what I might need and the prices etc). 

So.. when I asked the price - they were 4x the price on Lazada for the same item / same brand...  no point to say anything,  I just left. 

Was the shop dual charging because I am a foreigner ? perhaps.....  We're they charging top price because by my physical condition it was something they could see I most definitely need ?... perhaps... perhaps a combination of them both - I didn't care, that person is not an example of all Thai's or how all Thai's treat me, so it was easy for me to ignore....  The positive I took away from that is at least I could get the items of Lazada within a few days for a good price. 

The 'metaphor' as we are using it in this example is that....   good things are still out there, even though something negative happened - place myself in a situation to utilise the good (i.e. have a plan B for a lot of things).

Yes, but here you can buy your diapers at Makro and no one will even notice. 

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

my 60 baht pad thai today was amazing, served by a wonderful waitress.

It was only a few years ago Pad Thai was 40 baht. What is the world coming to.

When I first came in 2005 it was 20 baht for Pai Thai. I don't think I've ever had a bad Pad Thai, just lame restaurants with no fans or bad chairs.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I feel like I need to use all my visa time here though for some reason before I move. In a couple months back to Chiang Mai for the next year. If it does not work out there, like it did in the past, I'm over Thailand. Will need to decide by next June if I want to stay here long term on a regular O or not.

Why Chiang Mai? That city is getting hard to live in because of traffic. So many nicer places in the North if you ask me.

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

One example of this is walking into a medical supplies shop to order some supplies....   I knew what I wanted, I'd researched what I'd needed, I'd found the items on Lazada (and had spent a lot of the day in hospital looking at what I might need and the prices etc). 

So.. when I asked the price - they were 4x the price on Lazada for the same item / same brand...  no point to say anything,  I just left. 

The 'metaphor' as we are using it in this example is that....   good things are still out there, even though something negative happened - place myself in a situation to utilise the good (i.e. have a plan B for a lot of things).

Occasionally, I get Thais who are locked into a system which makes them immovable.

I recently needed to plan a course of medication. I was a fortnight short on one.

I do the rounds of pharmacies in Chiang Rai. Everyone says they are out of stock.

I go to a private hospital.  I have to see a doctor first before I can be prescribed the medication.

Therefore, I have to spend 400 baht on the consultation before I can obtain 50 baht's worth of pills I could get over the counter anywhere else.

For all I know, they are out of stock too. I walked out.

Problem was solved by getting a friend in Chiang Mai to purchase it over the counter there, then post it to me.

IMO if Peera Pharmacy in CM does not have it, nobody does.

I think I am usually very positive about my life in Thailand. However, I do sometimes have to shake my head.

5 hours ago, Chetzee said:

I did business with a few Swiss ..... smart but dull as ditch water ..... a bit like those in the news here recently .....      Do you see your self as dull as ditch water Bob ? 

Yes, "dull" they are.

Being stranded on a remote island, I wish that my stranded fellows would be "Swissies". While a mix of other nationals will soon bang each others heads in, fighting over the dwindling supply of coconuts, the "swissies" will conduct lenghty democratic discussions, in order to distribute the remaining coconuts fairly, while chanting the national anthem frequently.

Granted, all very "dull".

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

Why Chiang Mai? That city is getting hard to live in because of traffic. So many nicer places in the North if you ask me.

Just because I enjoyed living there for several years. My best time in Thailand. That was over 10 years ago though. I'm probably just chasing memories of being 10 years younger.

Edited by JimTripper

On 3/7/2024 at 1:51 PM, still kicking said:

Bob, I made the move many years ago and never regret it, no more 90 days reports no renewing visas not paying a lot more than Thais do, not getting pointed at and jelled at Farang, Farang. Not getting ripped off at hospitals. Pending on your age free Medicare. Yeah, I know I'll get blasted for that again, but it is the truths. Most Farangs in Thailand are too scared to move back or can't afford it. I do live on the OAP in OZ (had my super paid out when moving to Thailand) Most things in the west are not that expansive (Apart from renting and buying houses) and of course if you are a beer drinker. The only places you should avoid are big cities. I do drink wine it cost me less than 300 baht per 4 litre box. I had my time in Thailand but still go to my old place over there ones or twice a year. (on my Ozzy pension) Good luck.

Good post,really good. I miss being there at time, but Im in UK for reason  Cancer, free and good treatment, plus its so damned cheap apart from rent, but giveaway prices compared to TH

1 minute ago, Tiber said:

Good post,really good. I miss being there at time, but Im in UK for reason  Cancer, free and good treatment, plus its so damned cheap apart from rent, but giveaway prices compared to TH

As I posted many times, I do have a cheap rent and shown that a few times on AN because nobody believed me, I rent a 2-bedroom unit I moved in 8 years ago paid my bond and paid my rent of 240 AUD per week and never had an increase since. I do get my full pension I don't have any super since I had that paid out, I get full medical care. including doctors' appointments and hospitals. Also, cheap bus fares and on and on. I have not paid an Electricity account since covid and people living in Thailand complaining about it. But is there choice 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not Bangladesh....     even when there...

Gagging to hear about Bangla.

People have been steadily talking me out of going for 30 years, which only makes me want to go more.

It's like Asian Haiti, right? I already lived in white Haiti (Appalachia), and I've visited Haiti-Haiti.

I need Bangla to fill in my fill in the blank-Haiti card.

Should I stay or should I go? 

Think it over very carefully  Khun Bob  what you are Losing by Leaving or Gaining.

Life wasn't mend to be Easy ,There's No Perfect country in the world for Anyone.

Maybe you would be happy as a pig in sh!t back home      Alone.   

Maybe you could turn into a Miserable Old Drunken Skirt Dreaming Tosser.

On 3/7/2024 at 8:10 PM, bob smith said:

i have an opportunity to leave thailand in the next few weeks.

mrs smith doesnt want me to go.

personally i have had it up to here with this place,

ive had enough of the racism, xenophobia and silly little games the locals love to play on us.

I have a lot to lose here.

property, business, family etc.

but im not sure how much more I can take living here.

I want to live in a normal country

not in a video game.

decisions decisions. 

bob.

:violin:

On 3/7/2024 at 8:10 PM, bob smith said:

i have an opportunity to leave thailand in the next few weeks.

mrs smith doesnt want me to go.

personally i have had it up to here with this place,

ive had enough of the racism, xenophobia and silly little games the locals love to play on us.

I have a lot to lose here.

property, business, family etc.

but im not sure how much more I can take living here.

I want to live in a normal country

not in a video game.

decisions decisions. 

bob.

If you feel as you write, then it is definitely time to GO !

On 3/7/2024 at 8:50 PM, bob smith said:

jaysus, mrs.smith is in the kitchen crying her eyes out and ‘how deep is your love’ has just come on the TV by bee gees.

lord give me strength tonight.

bob.

Do you HAVE to tell your wife that it's  over now?

Can't you just say you are going off to work in a new job, but you will be back.

In that time you can work out if you want the marriage or not

How old are you Bob?

4 minutes ago, kohjumboy said:

here's my experience Bob.....

Five years ago i made the decision to leave, within 6 months i started to think i'd made a mistake...within a year i knew it.

At the time i too was getting sick of the difficulties of trying to live/work in a place where i would always essentially be an outsider, i was desperately missing my family and my culture, so i sold up and left.

The problem turned out to be that the country i thought i was going back to was just a figment of my imagination, things had changed massively and i ended up feeling more of an outsider here than in Thailand.

I had completely forgotten the reasons why i left the UK in the first place and the rose tinted memories i had were just a pipe dream really.

I had also got to the point where all of the amazing things about living in Thailand had just become normal, all the things that people love when they come to Thailand were just my everyday life, i had forgotten how amazing that was.

I desperately miss my life in Thailand and i think about it every single day often accompanied by tears.

My advice would be if you do decide to leave DON'T be so final about it, maybe go back for a few month's and the reassess how you feel before you cut all ties.

Good luck.

Excellent post, all very true.

• Love It 1

On 3/8/2024 at 5:29 PM, bob smith said:

can you tell that to my thai counterparts who cheat on their wives every weekend?

bob.

Cheating is something you would never do right?

Oh wait,i recall a few of your posts.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, kohjumboy said:

Five years ago i made the decision to leave, within 6 months i started to think i'd made a mistake...within a year i knew it.

At the time i too was getting sick of the difficulties of trying to live/work in a place where i would always essentially be an outsider, i was desperately missing my family and my culture, so i sold up and left.

The problem turned out to be that the country i thought i was going back to was just a figment of my imagination, things had changed massively and i ended up feeling more of an outsider here than in Thailand.

I had completely forgotten the reasons why i left the UK in the first place and the rose tinted memories i had were just a pipe dream really.

I had also got to the point where all of the amazing things about living in Thailand had just become normal, all the things that people love when they come to Thailand were just my everyday life, i had forgotten how amazing that was.

I desperately miss my life in Thailand and i think about it every single day often accompanied by tears.

My advice would be if you do decide to leave DON'T be so final about it, maybe go back for a few month's and the reassess how you feel before you cut all ties.

Good luck.

Well written sir. People take things for granted and view the world often not living in the present moment. Thailand has a lot going for it.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

47 minutes ago, kohjumboy said:

Good luck.

There comes a time when choice is not an option, unless of course you want to die there.  Becoming old is no joke, coping with illness is a nightmare in TH, especially with medical care expenses

Same boat as you, miss it yes? but now the ties are cut, there are other major advantages in UK. May come back for month or so, but potential problems for ex pats ahead makes life an uncertainty there anyway   

good luck

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kohjumboy said:

Good luck.

+1 what Mike Lister said. Are there insurmountable hurdles which stop you from being able to return now or in the future?

I've been visiting Thailand and living here on and off for 25 years. I decided many years ago that this is where I will live in my later years. So many good experiences over the years and have made many great friends, both Thai and foreign.

I retired young but having an elderly mother in the UK means I am not prepared to make the permanent move now.

I will though, without a doubt.

Best of luck to you, I hope things work out.

• Love It 1

I can't believe I've been here 20 years, time has just flown. I've never once wanted to move back to the UK. I did buy a flat there and was planning to spend a few months there each year but it wasn't me, now I just rent it out and collect the income. The UK i remember and love doesn't exist any longer. If I'd stayed I would have grown up with the changes but when you leave for 20 years and then try to go back, few things are the same. I've been an expat for 50 years. There was a time when I used to get excited about going back but I noticed that excitement wore off increasingly quickly, with each visit. Pretty soon it got to be the opposite, I used to dread the idea of returning and got really excited about coming back here.

If you are seriously thinking about returning, go back for a visit at the worst time of the year when it's cold and damp and see how you like it.