Durability of Chinese EVs

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

That's great news, fantastic! The bad news is that you are driving around in a noisy, dirty, smelly, uncomfortable, old fashioned, 17 year old pickup truck. Thanks for sharing.

I rather drive an old non-smart car than a computer on 4 wheels. I love my dmax , not that dirty or smelly because I pass the car test every year.

It is noisy but I don't hear it because my cd player is always on.

It's a 4 door cab and with a small cushion for my back , it is comfortable enough. 

I have a closed garage , and feel pretty confident , I would sh-t my pants leaving a lithium battery car there. All my life I had not much luck with batteries. I don't see how it will be better with a battery powered car.

BUT if I had solar panels on the house , I would considder an EV , but away from the house and only if the dmax was beyond repair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

No Mr uninformed, they do not share the same battery technology.

Stop repeating stupidity for the sake of it.

So please explain?   Or is this just a defensive response due to buyers remorse?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, lavender19 said:

I read an article recently that Volvo only expect their EV a life of about 8 years. So probably half of that

Great insight! I think you forgot to share the link to this statement from Volvo, as it does not match with anything I have heard senior Volvo people say either privately or publicly.  Please update us, thanks.

Or did you make it up? Link link link.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Are you also worried the sky will fall in?

It seems you worry a lot.

BTW the dmax is both dirty and smelly, no matter what you think.

(Not an EV owner, just someone who is not a fan boy of EV or diesel unlike many)=. Diesels are smelly, dirty, rattly, even if you have a 1990's CD player blasting. Modern EVs are silent, comfortable, and have Apple Car Play or Android Auto wireless connections.

If the batteries ignite , yes my sky will fall in.

I don't use anything wireless.

The switching power of the electronics inside an EV is not healthy too. Electrosmog.

Electric Cars & EMF Radiation: Could Your Tesla Be Bad for You? | DefenderShield

Why would an EV be more comfortable than a regular car ? Because of a screen with menus ? Not for me , thanks.

Modern ICE cars can be silent too . The tyres make noise too and EV's are heavier.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I think there is a higher chance of expensive legacy ICEVs going bankrupt in the next 5 yrs or so.

Which long road trip did you undertake that was a pain due to the lack of charging infrastructure? Or are you just repeating what you heard from equally uninformed ICE owners?

lol.. are you part of some kind of EV cult? 😅

• Confused 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:22 PM, Maybole said:

A Thai relative is contemplating replacing her nearly 20 years old Toyota with a new Chinese made Electric car. I have advised caution because of the lack of information on how long they last. They have only been on the road in Thailand for just over 2 years.

Has any member experience of them and can advise me further?

Gartner Outlines a New Phase for Electric Vehicles

By 2027, Next-Generation BEVs Will, on Average, Be Cheaper to Produce Than a Comparable ICE

By 2027, the Average Cost of an EV Body and Battery Serious Accident Repair to Increase by 30%

By 2027, 15% of EV Companies Founded Since Last Decade Will Be Acquired or Bankrupt

https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2024-03-07-gartner-outlines-a-new-phase-for-electric-vehicles

• Confused 1

On 3/7/2024 at 10:22 PM, Maybole said:

A Thai relative is contemplating replacing her nearly 20 years old Toyota with a new Chinese made Electric car. I have advised caution because of the lack of information on how long they last. They have only been on the road in Thailand for just over 2 years.

Has any member experience of them and can advise me further?

You should advise your relative that changes on level of cover for batteries is coming this year some insurance will implement changes Jan 1st 2024 all insurance companies have to implement changes by 31st May 2024

The OIC approves electric vehicle (BEV) insurance criteria, separately covering batteries according to their service life. If it is more than 5 years or more, compensation is 50% of the battery price. Effective from 1 January 2024 onwards.

https://www.sanook.com/auto/90191/

10 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

lol.. are you part of some kind of EV cult? 😅

The cult of the well informed, you should consider joining 😎

The future of passenger vehicles is electric with many countries planning to phase out ICE vehicles. Legacy auto manufacturers like the Japanese who have been slow to adapt to this trend and will have an uncertain future.

S&P cuts Nissan credit rating to junk status

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/sp-cuts-nissan-credit-rating-junk-status-2023-03-07/

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

So, you were just repeating what you heard from uninformed ICE owners. Thanks for answering my question.

Strange why some people don’t wish to educate themselves. 

Not that I have to explain myself to you and your cultish snarky attitude, but I drove a model 3 in Bangkok, however I got rid of it after moving up country as it wasn't practical anymore.

What's your experience?

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You should advise your relative that changes on level of cover for batteries is coming this year some insurance will implement changes Jan 1st 2024 all insurance companies have to implement changes by 31st May 2024

The OIC approves electric vehicle (BEV) insurance criteria, separately covering batteries according to their service life. If it is more than 5 years or more, compensation is 50% of the battery price. Effective from 1 January 2024 onwards.

https://www.sanook.com/auto/90191/

You failed to mention that you will be able to top up the insurance on your battery.

10 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

Not that I have to explain myself to you and your cultish snarky attitude, but I drove a model 3 in Bangkok, however I got rid of it after moving up country as it wasn't practical anymore.

What's your experience?

Did you? Really?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You failed to mention that you will be able to top up the insurance on your battery.

Did you? Really?

No need to mention it as it was clearly there in the article

Additional insurance coverage for batteries and chargers can be purchased.

38 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

What's your experience?

did you actually own a tesla model 3?

it appears you might not have researched thoroughly before purchasing one ... 

since electric vehicles may not be suitable for everyone ...

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

And how much would a BYD driver had to spend in that time? Ah, you don't know do you.

17 years in a rattly diesel truck, how much have you spent on oil changes, filter changes, fuel pumps and filters, transmission issues, differential issues, timing belts, spark plugs, cooling, be honest. How much spent on servicing all the mechanical parts that an EV doesn't have/?

And where's your evidence that in that time you would have to spend 1m+ on battery changes? Oh, you don't have any do you....

I agree that the 15-20 year lifecycle of an EV battery is unknown in real world use, but in testing it seems to be not an issue, hence offering unlimited 8 or 10 year battery warranties being common, with one manufacturer talking about unlimited lifetime warranties.

How right you are.

The Isuzu D max gets through a lot of spark plugs.

32 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Did you? Really?

You really are a cult aren't you? Do you demand pictures? lol

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

did you actually own a tesla model 3?

it appears you might not have researched thoroughly before purchasing one ... 

since electric vehicles may not be suitable for everyone ...

Did you even read my original post that was fair and balanced based on my EV experience? but viciously attacked by the EV cult.

Do you work selling EVs?

Edited by Jake72
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

Did you even read my original post that was fair and balanced based on my EV experience? but viciously attacked by the EV cult.

You claim to post “fair and balanced” yet you call EV owners an “EV Cult” what a hypocrite 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

That’s not my experience, a stop every 300 to 500km is a welcome break and there is abundant charging infrastructure.

Which EV do you have?

So you prefer your car demanding when you have to take a break and how long your break is going to be?

Did you never run into a charger promising 150kW but only delivering 10kW because it was broken, adding 3-4 hours to your "break"?.. lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Jake72 said:

So you prefer your car demanding when you have to take a break and how long your break is going to be?

Did you never run into a charger promising 150kW but only delivering 10kW because it was broken, adding 3-4 hours to your "break"?.. lol

I generally prefer to break after 300km or 3 hours, my car go almost double that.

Never had a fast DC charger running slowly, they generally either work or don’t work.

• Agree 1