2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

A couple of years back I had to have the stamps in my old passport transferred into my new one. The officer said to me '500 Baht'. I told him I wasn't gonna pay.  And I didn't. Grow some before you enter an IO. They're not gonna shoot you.

Someone I know just paid them 3,000 to transfer stamps into his new passport....

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, tee1eel said:

I'm just quoting the immigration officer, but yes you're right.

I'm hoping they will do something like that, 15 or 30 day extension.To add to it, the night I got back from immigration (on Friday) the landlord messaged saying he wants to increase the rent by 25% for the next year contract. (even though he promised, lol, he would not increase the rent for 5 years and then only by 5%). So I will be moving back to my previous house anyway!!

Short 30/60-day extensions are only applicable to tourists, not Non Immigrants. (Unless married to a Thai).

If your extension application is refused, you'll be given a 7-day extension stamp to leave the Country and start over again.

Edited by Liquorice

3 minutes ago, tee1eel said:

Someone I know just paid them 3,000 to transfer stamps into his new passport....

Free service. But in my case if the officer had done the transfer without trying to rob me I may have well give him a tip.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yes, that is the law and the 'house master' whoever gets a fine.

Meanwhile it is the poor individual who wants a visa extension who becomes 'illegal'.

It is in our own interest to make sure that the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. Just like the OP is trying to do.

Otherwise, we lose out.

Saying 'but it is not my job' does not help when you are in a room being 'interviewed' by immigration.

I thought I had everything covered for my extension. There were 3 immigration officers discussing it/me and I was intimidated, why I don't know.

Both my husband's family( thank god we get on well) and the landlord s family know each other( the island isn't that big). My sister in law and the landlord will come with me and hopefully something can be sorted out, fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, tee1eel said:

I thought I had everything covered for my extension. There were 3 immigration officers discussing it/me and I was intimidated, why I don't know.

Both my husband's family( thank god we get on well) and the landlord s family know each other( the island isn't that big). My sister in law and the landlord will come with me and hopefully something can be sorted out, fingers crossed.

Good luck.

Everything that you say tells us that you are spot on.

Having a local from KPN should help.

• Love It 1

13 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Short 30/60-day extensions are only applicable to tourists, not Non Immigrants. (Unless married to a Thai).

If your extension application is refused, you'll be given a 7-day extension stamp to leave the Country and start over again.

I am married to a Thai (separated, not divorced... Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if I gave to start again then I will suck it up and do that. Eek

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

Good luck.

Everything that you say tells us that you are spot on.

Having a local from KPN should help.

Thanks, hopefully the Phangan officers are in a good mood tomorrow and help me out.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

At the end of the day it is down to the individual officer.

Friends went to KPN immigration and I had warned them to take a TM 30 print out.

All went well until the officer noticed that the hotel had mistyped the passport number.

The officer said that she could not change it but told my friend to ring the hotel now to correct it and go back and get another TM 30 copy. She would wait for them to return.

All sorted, extension granted.

Yes exactly. My sister in law will come with me, she is a very good talker and very polite. The landlord is willing to come too. So fingers crossed it will be positive 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, tee1eel said:

I am married to a Thai (separated, not divorced... Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if I gave to start again then I will suck it up and do that. Eek

Are you applying for the extension based on Thai spouse or retirement?

If Thai spouse do not advise Immigration, you are separated as the marriage must be dejure and defacto.
Your husband should also be in attendance.

2 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Who is exactly responsible for filing the TM30, why foreigners have been fined for non-compliance, has been discussed many times on this forum.

Section 38 of the Immigration Act states it's the responsibility of the Housemaster, Owner, or the Possessor of the property are responsible.

The 'Housemaster' is defined in section 4 as being;
“ House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) ENG.pdf 87.61 kB · 0 downloads  

Yeah, but they still want documents that only a landlord can provide. Just showing yor lease doesnt cut it. You need landlord id, PoA, hosebook for where he lives as well as for where you live. CW appatently will accept a lease with proof of utility payment. Others won't.

If yor landlord cant or wont provide, tjst is your problrem and you likely may mot be able to extend your visa.

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, mokwit said:

If yor landlord cant or wont provide, tjst is your problrem and you likely may mot be able to extend your visa.

No it is not your problem. In nearly 20 years I've never heard of anyone being refused a visa cuz the landlord refuses to fill out a TM30.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No it is not your problem. In nearly 20 years I've never heard of anyone being refused a visa cuz the landlord refuses to fill out a TM30.

Well, you have now!

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Over 3K posts and you still believe you extend your visa.   😭

No, but i really dont get overly pedanric and @nal about the difference. I dont really umderstand why you do unless it is specifically in teference to the difference between a nom o and an extension of stay based on retirement. I asked the ticket io for extension of stay and got a blank look until i said retirement bisa.

16 minutes ago, mokwit said:

No, but i really dont get overly pedanric and @nal about the difference. I dont really umderstand why you do unless it is specifically in teference to the difference between a nom o and an extension of stay based on retirement. I asked the ticket io for extension of stay and got a blank look until i said retirement bisa.

If you know the difference, why refer to an extension of stay as a visa?

A visa cannot be extended. A single entry is 'used' on entry, a multi entry expires on the 'enter before' date.
Read the forms you complete, and you'll understand it's a 'permit' of stay you apply for.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

If you know the difference, why refer to an extension of stay as a visa?

A visa cannot be extended. A single entry is 'used' on entry, a multi entry expires on the 'enter before' date.
Read the forms you complete, and you'll understand it's a 'permit' of stay you apply for.

The pedantics are not really that important to me. You need a nom o to get an extension so for all practical purposes you sre extending that vias. If you looked you would see it is stamped used but the technicalities are only important to a handful of people on here.

I am sure i am not the only one who is tired of these people needlessly correcting evety podt that does not adhere to their rules as to how one can describe an extension of stay based on retirement.

Edited by mokwit

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No I haven't. Who 's been refused a visa?

Steady on woth your termomology or the extension police will be down on you like a ton of hot bricks.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Are you applying for the extension based on Thai spouse or retirement?

If Thai spouse do not advise Immigration, you are separated as the marriage must be dejure and defacto.
Your husband should also be in attendance.

I'm applying for an extension based on 'Guardian of Thai child'.  Which i have without problem for the last 4 years.

(My husband is in hospital at the moment also)

2 hours ago, tee1eel said:

I'm applying for an extension based on 'Guardian of Thai child'.  Which i have without problem for the last 4 years.

Thanks, so the problem only stems from moving last year and not filing a TM30 due to an issue with the House book.
I'm sure the issue will be resolved tomorrow.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 7:39 PM, tee1eel said:

At immigration I was told (I hadn't noticed) I need to show them proof that the landlord owns the property I'm renting

The OP is a newbie and mixed up. He doesn't have to prove the landlord owns the property. That's for immigration and the landlord to sort out.  

Liquorice In the op's initial post he does not state that he was refused a 'visa'. You are reading into something that isn't true.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

I am sure i am not the only one who is tired of these people needlessly correcting evety podt that does not adhere to their rules as to how one can describe an extension of stay based on retirement.

Nothing to do with 'our' rules.

The documents you complete make it clear you're applying to extend your permission of stay, and it's a permit, not a visa.
I appreciate some have a more selective reading comprehension than others and fail to understand the differences.

Using the correct terminology is not being pedantic, it's being correct.

Calling those out who use, or correct, the terminology is being pedantic.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Thanks, so the problem only stems from moving last year and not filing a TM30 due to an issue with the House book.
I'm sure the issue will be resolved tomorrow.

Good luck.

Yes. I had stayed at the same address for 9 ish years before moving last year and had no problems.....He did file a TM30. Immigration said the problem is that he is not in the housebook of the rental house, therefore there is no proof that he owns the house...which seems ridiculous to me.

Do house books prove ownership anyway? I was told they don't? And of course he doesn't live in the house he rents out....

Thanks for your responding, I will update tomorrow, cross everything for me 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

Yessir, I recall about 3-4 years ago we had the TM28

which we could do...provided the same data to the

immigration but then they dropped that in favor of

making the ex-pat responsible for TM30 if a Thai

landlord won't do it.  Immigration can't control their

own people but can easily control the ex-pats.  Hope

that changes in the future.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, tee1eel said:

Do house books prove ownership anyway? I was told they don't? And of course he doesn't live in the house he rents out....

No, the house books do not prove ownership, only who's registered as living there.
The Thais use the house book registration system as a means of running census of the population.
Each property has a house book with the registered address, but a Thai can only be registered once in one house book.

It's the Chanute (title deeds) that prove ownership.

If as you say it's the Father that owns the house, then you need a copy of the house book where he is registered as living, a copy of the house book where you're residing and a copy of the Chanute for your property as proof the Father owns it. It’s not an uncommon scenario in rented accommodation, Immigration are just being picky in your case.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Presnock said:

they dropped that in favor of

making the ex-pat responsible for TM30 if a Thai

landlord won't do it.

You can provide proof that if a Thai landlord will not file a TM30 that it then becomes responsibility of the expat to submit it????? 

Who is responsible for TM30?

Property owners in Thailand are responsible for registering all non-Thai nationals residing in their properties.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

where you're residing and a copy of the Chanute for your property

Do you actually know what a 'chanote' is?

'Chanute' is actually a town in SE Kansas.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Do you actually know what a 'chanote' is?

Yes, as we have two, for two properties.

The N.S.4. J or Chanote is a certificate of true ownership for land and the only true ownership land title deed. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1