Aussie​ Dollar, Thai​ baht.​

Baht has weakened again against the USD on one side of the pairings which effects every nationality coming to spend money in Thailand

Sterling also at 5 year high against the Baht

(AUD x USD) x (USD x Baht) equates to AUD/Baht

Movement in either pairing effects that bottom line

Slightly bemused that Baht is weakening out as lot of financial news here indicating the opposite would be true

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Time to sell some of my opal stash GG🤪

Yes sell it , you surely dont have long to go now, 😳but then again ...they say only the good die young...so you could be around until 100 😳 ...

24 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes sell it , you surely dont have long to go now, 😳but then again ...they say only the good die young...so you could be around until 100 😳 ...

Im a just a tad older than u smiler, so be carefull what u wish for. Its monger time here today, so so long for now ggboy! whoosh😂

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Olmate said:

Im a just a tad older than u smiler, so be carefull what u wish for. Its monger time here today, so so long for now ggboy! whoosh😂

Well  let's all hope it leads to the case of a smiling stiff😅

Yes you go mongering ,I'm going to church ,

Oh please Lord , please tell us how long you have given him , surely not long now for our Olmate!✝️... Grant him the wish of going out with a smiling stiff😅

Edited by georgegeorgia

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

That's your photo ? 

Very handsome man ! 

Haha, my inbox, so no thankfully, I can set you up tho if your into dark forests, think Ivan Millat! 

9 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Which makes the AUD stronger to the Thai Baht, but not necessarily stronger in general.  

Agreed. As said before, AUD is a proxy for RMB or YUAN, which has now weakened even further. Any gain from the AUD/THB pair is coming from the weakness of THB rather than the strength of AUD or RMB, it many ways it's a race to the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

As said before, AUD is a proxy for RMB or YUAN,

If / When China stops purchasing our minerals, either due to economic conditions, competition, or as a strategic move, either for short term or long term, Australia will head towards becoming a banana republic. 

Our economy relies too heavily on China now, and The Chinese know it.  It should never have got to this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2024 at 4:43 PM, KhunHeineken said:

If / When China stops purchasing our minerals, either due to economic conditions, competition, or as a strategic move, either for short term or long term, Australia will head towards becoming a banana republic. 

Our economy relies too heavily on China now, and The Chinese know it.  It should never have got to this point. 

You can thank Keating et al for taking Aust down that path.  Clinton did it for US as well. 

But many benefits did flow - much cheaper products and a solid economic strength - until China crashed - but now showing signs of recovery.

IMO Yes - the Baht might go back to a more 'reasonable' level this year I think - 26-28 ?

image.png.b571337d5bd338d21a0563ceb8283f59.png

On 3/30/2024 at 9:26 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

But many benefits did flow - much cheaper products

Which killed Australia's manufacturing industry. 

We don't even may a car in Australia now. 

So called "developing nations" are even making cars, whilst we don't.

We will lose more and more manufacturing as time passes, then, there will be hardly any domestic demand for our minerals.  We ship over iron ore, and it comes back as a product.  Who do you think makes the most money out of that deal? 

It's to the point where it's getting cheaper to also import food products from abroad, rather than buy the locally grown produce. 

The question must be asked, and it's for another thread, but how much is the Australian housing market Ponzi scheme responsible for for all of  this? 

8 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

We will lose more and more manufacturing as time passes, then, there will be hardly any domestic demand for our minerals.  We ship over iron ore, and it comes back as a product.  Who do you think makes the most money out of that deal? 

It's to the point where it's getting cheaper to also import food products from abroad, rather than buy the locally grown produce. 

The question must be asked, and it's for another thread, but how much is the Australian housing market Ponzi scheme responsible for for all of  this? 

How about a break from your moaning about Oz; gets tedious...

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, simple1 said:

How about a break from your moaning about Oz; gets tedious...

Not moaning, just presenting the facts. 

Was this guy "moaning" back in the day?  What's changed since he spoke up, nothing, in fact, it's got worse. 

"As a government, you are not spending it that well that we should be donating extra."  :cheesy:

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

Now at 24,17

Yes, I made 2 transfers this week via Wise with the xrate showing at 23.936 and 24.274.

At least the trend line is pointing in the right direction.

Edited by mfd101
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

I hear you, but the global economy and massive changes in global transportation made it unecobomical to make many things in Australia that were made tghere in the past, but were basicvally being protected by use of taxpayers money. So Australians were paying more for the product and their tax money was also paying too.  Cars are a classic example - the old Ford versus Holden duopoly was doomed in the 70s. 

The Aust Govt will continue to support the local farms, because if things go pear shaped we will always need control over food production. But not a lot of other industries are really imperative should say WW3 start - most other things really needed we can and will get from our Allies. The Aust  Military can survive for many years without imports, but most others can be 'assisted as/if required. 

Me thinks that the current fall of the Baht was driven by the anticipated lowering of interest rates by BOT.  It will probably fall again when/if they do lower them on 10th April.  Hopefully, over the next year or two the Bajht will fall such that the AUD is back to where it should be - 26-28 Baht.

8 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Me thinks that the current fall of the Baht was driven by the anticipated lowering of interest rates by BOT.  It will probably fall again when/if they do lower them on 10th April.  Hopefully, over the next year or two the Bajht will fall such that the AUD is back to where it should be - 26-28 Baht.

You'd do better to look at the impact of USD strengthening when it comes to THB value. You'd also do better to look at RMB if you want to understand AUD strength or weakness. BOT rates aren't even in the picture.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=THB&to=USD

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The Aust Govt will continue to support the local farms, because if things go pear shaped we will always need control over food production.

Australia's biggest station was sold to the Chinese years ago. 

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/cubbie-station-sold-to-chinese-consortium-despite-buy-back-offer-of-250m-from-cubbies-founders/news-story/e9c19f6eb5afd3eaddc6870a28559ded

59 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

The Aust  Military can survive for many years without imports, but most others can be 'assisted as/if required. 

Really?

The Australia Army even imports its uniforms from China. 

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/why-australia-is-paying-china-up-to-14m-every-year/news-story/b1aba0519175b00a465b18003110a30e

14 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

You'd do better to look at the impact of USD strengthening when it comes to THB value. You'd also do better to look at RMB if you want to understand AUD strength or weakness. BOT rates aren't even in the picture.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=THB&to=USD

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy

image.png.f40d6a91e1f8cf475a9144c185d42223.png

image.png.de8554c91db5e343d78f77f303c94cd8.png

As you can see from above 25 year charts, the USD-THB is not related directly to the AUD-THB.

The USD is the most traded and the AUD is the 5th most traded - they are related.

The THB is a separate matter and it is not directly related to the AUD-USD excchanbge rate. 

All currencies are affected by the USD - but your assertion is false.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

I can see what others say about you being 'argumentative' - perhaps you thought I was criticising your words.

Not intended - I was merely providing an alternative opinion with reasons.

Examples:

Australia does not have laws in place like Thailand to prevent foreigners purchasing land.

Whislt a foregin company/person company can own the land - it is Australian land title and the property can be resumed at any time.

Australia does not import as much food as otherwise could happen if the local farmers were not supported.

Australia is a very pro-free trade country - it is to Australia's benefit not to gave trade wars (protection wars).

It would be foolish for Aust Military to pay 20 million for uniforms made in Thailand/India - or 50 million made in USA/Australia.

I can ssure you NOTHING possibly impacting the Aust military performance of their duties is purchased from China.

Australia is extremely pro-active is ensuring that no infrastructure is purchased in Australia that could impact its national security (such as Chinese made telecommunications equipment). 

On 4/7/2024 at 1:46 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I can see what others say about you being 'argumentative' - perhaps you thought I was criticising your words.

Not intended - I was merely providing an alternative opinion with reasons.

No, not being argumentative, merely pointing out Australia has already sold the biggest station in the country to the Chinese, and we don't even manufacture our military's uniforms anymore, China does. 

So, I ask the question, have we looked after our food production, and can we fund supplying our own military?  

Imagine for a moment every single item with "Made in China" becoming unavailable in Australia.  If you thought punch ups over toilet paper was bad enough during covid, picture China ceasing exports to Australia. 

Edited by KhunHeineken

19 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

No, not being argumentative, merely pointing out Australia has already sold the biggest station in the country to the Chinese, and we don't even manufacture our military's uniforms anymore, China does. 

So, I ask the question, have we looked after out food production, and can we fund supplying our own military?  

Imagine for a moment every single item with "Made in China" becoming unavailable in Australia.  If you thought punch ups over toilet paper was bad enough during covid, picture China ceasing exports to Australia. 

True - cannot argue with that sentiment.  But I can assure you China needs our exports a lot more then we need their imports.  Even with all the extremely negative and provocative statements made by the previous Federal Govt, China merely slapped us a little bit.  Remember, India is closer and things there are extremely cheap - not as cheap as Chine but way cheaper than making it at home - we have alternatives, China really does not have an easy alternative to most of what we export to them - Iron Ore, Petroleum and Minerals.