Drunk American flees horror crash leaving British family shattered in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

A drunk American man is on the run after a horror smash left a British family of three hospitalized in Thailand. The British man fears unless the fugitive is brought to justice he will continue to drink and drive and cause mayhem after showing no remorse after the crash.

Thai police are actively pursuing the American, who is accused of crashing into a British family, allegedly under the influence of alcohol, while riding a motorcycle in Koh Chang, Thailand.

Gregory Yamada, the American involved, collided with the British couple and their four year old daughter during what was supposed to be a dream family holiday, leaving them with critical injuries.

According to the British father, the driver appeared to be still heavily intoxicated and displayed no remorse following the collision.

His 40 year old wife was rendered unconscious in the harrowing crash, sustaining severe injuries to her head and body. Their daughter suffered injuries to her eyes, face, and body upon being flung into the air, along with a sinus fracture from the impact on her face.

The family, who were enjoying a holiday in Thailand, were walking along a footpath on the island of Koh Chang when they were struck by the 39 year old American, from San Jose, California. It is alleged that Yamada was four times over the legal alcohol limit at the time of the incident.

Yamada was driving a potent Honda motorcycle and has been charged with “driving while intoxicated, causing a collision resulting in injuries to others.” The Thai authorities have since issued an arrest warrant for him, suspecting that he has fled across the border to Cambodia.

The 36 year old British father disclosed that they have since returned to the UK following the January crash but are still undergoing medical treatment.

“The injuries my partner and daughter suffered were horrific. From what I witnessed, they are lucky to still be alive.

“At the hospital on the night of the crash, he was evidently still very drunk and denied any involvement. I could not believe it.

by Bob Scott 

Picture courtesy of the Daily Mirror

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-20

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Confused 3
  • Sad 7

17 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yamada. Not an American name. (To offer a common Brit defense) 🙂 

Yeah well there is a very charming Japanese district in San Jose, California. 

If he did flee to Cambodian can't he be picked up when he tries to board an airplane?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah well there is a very charming Japanese district in San Jose, California. 

If he did flee to Cambodian can't he be picked up when he tries to board an airplane?

Really? To think I lived and worked in San Jose and never even noticed it. Or Japantown in San Francisco.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Really?

Japan town in SF is more of a tourist attraction while the San Jose district is more of a place for locals in the know. It's east of downtown. 

Yeah only tourists work in Japantown and own the Japanese shops there. Temporarily, before they return to Japan where they live. No local Japanese ever shopped there for Japanese stuff, of course.

As local living and working in San Jose for years, I was of course never in the know. Nor did my Japanese girlfriend have a clue. Go figure. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yeah only tourists work in Japantown and own the Japanese shops there. Temporarily, before they return to Japan where they live. No local Japanese ever shopped there for Japanese stuff, of course.

As local living and working in San Jose for years, I was of course never in the know. Nor did my Japanese girlfriend have a clue. Go figure. 

I find it amazing then that you didn't know about the district then for the food alone if not the festivals.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup, the American guy is a POS… & I hope they catch him. 

BUT, why report this 2 month old story now ? 
….. piggy backing on the “bad farang” rhetoric much ???? 

i agree. what a db. 

however

if he has not been caught etc how do they know he was 4 times the legal limit ? 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

It is alleged that Yamada was four times over the legal alcohol limit at the time of the incident.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

That’s all you’ve got to offer after one of your own (miscreants) almost kills an innocent family? What a sad world. 

Forum tradition, man. Get with the program. Next up: he was just dodging a pothole or dog, we've all sometimes had a few too many, let he without sin cast the first stone, etc. etc.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 7

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

i agree. what a db. 

however

if he has not been caught etc how do they know he was 4 times the legal limit ? 

He was arrested and charged.

From the original article

“The suspect was arrested and charged with drunk driving causing the crash. The details of the case were given to the court and he was due to appear there."

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Wait! Aren't all Brits just "Brits" regardless of race or ethnicity?

Yes, of course.  And your point it?  But of course, we don't have a  very resent history of blatant discrimination. 

Edited by Doctor Tom
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Yes, of course.  And your point it?  But of course, we don't have a  very resent history of blatant discrimination. 

When it comes to observing righteously that a Brit perp "doesn't have a traditional Brit name" you do.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

Just now, BigStar said:

When it comes to observing righteously that a Brit perp "doesn't have a traditional Brit name" you do.

Scots don't like the English. This Brit thing is an illusion.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1