Shell To Close 1,000 Retail Petrol(Gas) Stations By 2025 Greatly Expand EV Charging Network

34 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

They will probably add charging points but closing them I doubt it.

Shell said they will divest. That means they'll get rid of them.

• Agree 1

On 3/22/2024 at 12:57 PM, transam said:

More unemployed......😢

As older industries diminish,new ones arise where people get employed. To resist that is like Canute and artificially supporting such is economically ruinous. But there's at least another 10 years of increasing demand for oil based products /fossil fuels ahead anyway 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

As older industries diminish,new ones arise where people get employed. To resist that is like Canute and artificially supporting such is economically ruinous. But there's at least another 10 years of increasing demand for oil based products /fossil fuels ahead anyway 

For sure, though I have never seen self-serve gas in LOS, in the west, for decades, but when that arrives here, a lot of locally employed non "educated" poorer folk will have a problem....🤔

On 3/22/2024 at 8:02 AM, stupidfarang said:

Never use Shell as their fuel price is higher than PTT or Bangjak

Here another one, and even not a 'stupidfarang'

I mention some time ago, at the time the penny was abolished, that was the only company that put 2 cents on the pump gauge without you having even filled up a drop.

In the Netherlands, they have a refinery that also refines for other companies but still Shell's price is always the highest.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Energy Transition Strategy report

We have other competitive advantages, such as our convenience retail offering which allows us to offer our customers coffee, food and other convenience items as they charge their cars. As we grow our business offering charging for electric vehicles, we expect an internal rate of return of 12% or higher

https://www.shell.com/sustainability/our-climate-target/shell-energy-transition-strategy/_jcr_content/root/main/section/promo_copy_copy/links/item0.stream/1711012433598/39c528a7d85179adb1189fdc065aacbda5aab89f/shell-energy-transition-strategy-2024.pdf

If Shell is looking for a return of 12% or higher for public charging will that mean higher charging fees

More likely it’s the coffee, cake, light meal where they will make their 12-20% and subsidise their ev charging.

Their electricity generation costs will be lower than grid because they’ll be maxing out each site with solar and battery storage, but a clever boy like you Vinny will be well aware of that…

Slowly creating a duopoly of Caltec and PTT.

Very similar to two families running 7/11,Big C, Lotus, and Makro's.

I must admit PTT GAS stations are excellent rest stops on long trips. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Here another one, and even not a 'stupidfarang'

I mention some time ago, at the time the penny was abolished, that was the only company that put 2 cents on the pump gauge without you having even filled up a drop.

In the Netherlands, they have a refinery that also refines for other companies but still Shell's price is always the highest.

What penny was abolished? 

Not sure what you're talking about 2 cents, my pumps have always started at zero, as I always check. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

More likely it’s the coffee, cake, light meal where they will make their 12-20% and subsidise their ev charging.

Their electricity generation costs will be lower than grid because they’ll be maxing out each site with solar and battery storage, but a clever boy like you Vinny will be well aware of that…

They didn't state that in their report what they stated is

"As we grow our business offering charging for electric vehicles, we expect an internal rate of return of 12% or higher"

Shell has 45,000 service stations worldwide In Thailand there is 520 service stations

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Haha 1

The profitability of EV charging stations can vary greatly based on numerous factors such as the location, the pricing structure, the type of charging station (fast charging vs. standard charging), and operational costs. Here’s a breakdown of the various aspects impacting profitability, along with some specific figures:

1. Profit Margins: 

Profit margins for Level 2 charging stations can vary based on factors such as location, pricing structure, operational costs, and utilization. On average, these businesses can aim for profit margins ranging from 15% to 35% depending on the aforementioned variables

https://gogreenlogic.com/ev-charging-station-business-costs-purchase-profit-margins-guide/

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes, but it means there's never a queue in a Shell station, unlike at PTT. My time is worth more than a few extra Baht on the petrol bill, so I happily use Shell.

depends where you live, outside of the big citys no problem with queues and I have two PTT and three Bangchak stations all with in 3klm and on my way home. Plus points on the card and free bottle of water. 

Edited by stupidfarang

20 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yes, but it means there's never a queue in a Shell station, unlike at PTT. My time is worth more than a few extra Baht on the petrol bill, so I happily use Shell.

I can not remember the last time i Queued for Liquid fuel, 

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

What penny was abolished? 

Not sure what you're talking about 2 cents, my pumps have always started at zero, as I always check. 

Talk about the Netherlands and was in the time with the guilder, before the Euro. The penny was the 'stuiver'  and had a value of 5 cents.

After the 'stuiver, was finished, Shell was afraid that they were short of money, after all you could fill up for 2 cents and since it was rounded you didn't have to pay that.

But the government did not accept it so it was undone after a few months.

Edited by Peterphuket

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shell's are not popular, most people avoid, plus of course the V Power 95 trick they pull at some garages such as Pattaya Tai

What is the V power 95 trick ?

I wonder where all the power is going to come from. I remember reading an article some years ago, and I am sure it said a lot of electricity is generated from gas... but the gas that Thailand has is due to run out very soon. So I guess they will be importing natural gas ? to make electricity, to charge electric cars. Why not just put the LPG straight into the cars. And what about the trucks.. electric trucks ?  .. they have not even electrified the rail system... I wonder if Thailand is heading for a power crisis in a few years time ?.. and with the weakness in the Thai economy where will the money come from to pay for the imported gas. I do not see the Mekong or solar power being sufficient for Thailand's needs...

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder how the ICE market will move in the next few year. I would be very reluctant to buy a new one these days. I will try to keep my 2 years old CRV for another 10 years, and replace the 5 years old "shopping Jazz" with an EV in 3 to 5 years. I don't think I am an isolated case, so this is very likely to cause a trough in the market. Now I know that many have a childish irrational need to have these noisy, stinking and expensive toys, while I am only buying transportation devices.

1 hour ago, stupidfarang said:

what trick? interested to know

Some garages only sell the 95 V Power at around 50 baht a litre, they lead naive people to that pump, even sometimes say 91 is finished (around 35 baht) @Peterw42

Edited by scubascuba3