I grew up in a 99% Jewish neighborhood! Did you?

45 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm atheist. 

The chosen thing has no resonance to me.

Jew haters obsess on it though and grossly distort its meaning to inflame bigotry.

Next

So you are not Jewish if you are an atheist. 

I had Christian parents, but I'm an atheist too. 

So, I am not Christian. 

I don't tell people I am a Christian. 

31 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

So you are not Jewish if you are an atheist. 

I had Christian parents, but I'm an atheist too. 

So, I am not Christian. 

I don't tell people I am a Christian. 

Another one that knows nothing about Jews.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Another one that knows nothing about Jews.

Yes. Why should I know details of Jewish beliefs? 

That is why I was asking you so you could tell me. 

So why so you say you are Jewish if you are an athiest? 

I can only guess it's because you believe you are from Jewish race of people. But I don't think genetically there is a Jewish race...like there is African, Asian, etc. 

54 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes. Why should I know details of Jewish beliefs? 

That is why I was asking you so you could tell me. 

So why so you say you are Jewish if you are an athiest? 

I can only guess it's because you believe you are from Jewish race of people. But I don't think genetically there is a Jewish race...like there is African, Asian, etc. 

Not race.

Ethnicity AND culture.

Part of the culture as per the OP is humor but much more of course.

https://www.sbs.com.au/voices/article/how-to-be-a-cultural-jew-i-worship-larry-david-instead-of-god-and-think-bacon-is-delicious/oyp57cr8z

Jews are an ethnoreligious group.  So no need to follow the religion to be a Jew if you're a Jew. There are also Jews who are not part of major Jewish ethnicities such as converts, Chinese Jews  etc. But most Jews do have the ethnic part.

There is a tribal anthological aspect. A person born of a Jewish mother is a Jew. Period.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrilineality_in_Judaism

Different than Islam and Christianity. 

BTW, there is only one race. The human race.

There is no scientific basis for different races. But there are ethnicities.

Race is a human construct though and widely accepted as real.

Thus Jew hatred (antisemitism) is a type of racism.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not race.

Ethnicity AND culture.

Part of the culture as per the OP is humor but much more of course.

Jews are an ethnoreligious group.  So no need to follow the religion to be a Jew if you're a Jew.

Different than Islam and Christianity. 

BTW, there is only one race. The human race.

There is no scientific basis for different races. But there are ethnicities.

Race is a human construct though and widely accepted as real.

Thus Jew hatred (antisemitism) is a type of racism.

Thank you for that. 

So it's similar to the LGBQ plus these could be an ethnic groups as they share a culture. 

In theory I could call myself a Jew if I adopted the culture and ethnicity, or was brought up / adopted as a kid by a Jewish family. 

I just wish humans gave up their ethnicities and cultures and just got on with modern life and all be one. It's all very interesting but belongs in a museum or history class. 

These days everyone seems to want to attach a label to themselves and make themselves special or unique. In my younger years people used to say they did not like to be labeled gay, stesignt etc..they are themselves.  Get to know the person not have per ideas about them based on their race, religion, sexuality etc.. 

Anyway.  Thanks for taking time to reply to my question. 

9 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Thank you for that. 

So it's similar to the LGBQ plus these could be an ethnic groups as they share a culture. 

In theory I could call myself a Jew if I adopted the culture and ethnicity, or was brought up / adopted as a kid by a Jewish family. 

I just wish humans gave up their ethnicities and cultures and just got on with modern life and all be one. It's all very interesting but belongs in a museum or history class. 

These days everyone seems to want to attach a label to themselves and make themselves special or unique. In my younger years people used to say they did not like to be labeled gay, stesignt etc..they are themselves.  Get to know the person not have per ideas about them based on their race, religion, sexuality etc.. 

Anyway.  Thanks for taking time to reply to my question. 

You can't make yourself another ethnicity. Your ethnicity is determined at birth. You could immerse yourself in Jewish culture I suppose. You could also convert but Jews do not proselytize and it's a lot of work. Again very different than Christianity and Islam.

As far as your snide make yourself feel special remark I'm not interested in arguing with you but with the highest level of Jew hatred I've seen in my lifetime I'm sure that choosing to identify as a Jew when you're not a Jew is not going to be at all popular.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

NO, and I don't want to.

Neither would I. I like diversity. 

The area I grew up in had about 10 percent Jews and that was considered heavily Jewish. 

My elementary school had just enough Jews so that the school added some token Channukah songs to the Christmas stuff.

Edited by Jingthing

Rabbi Meyerovitz was teaching his Hebrew school class when he came to the story about Lot’s wife. The rabbi was describing how Lot's wife looked back and turned into a pillar of salt, when little David interrupted.

"My Mommy looked back once while she was DRIVING," he announced triumphantly, "and she turned into a telephone pole!"

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 2:42 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

My Dear Gentile Friends:

Maybe you wonder why I seem so ....

Out of Touch, at times, on this forum.

I think it must be that your sense of humor and mine...might....

Not be the same.

Jewish humor is something to be savored, and also something that most gentiles cannot appreciate.

This is not my fault.

I am a product of my upbringing.

Also, I have spent most of my adult years in Asia.

Therefore, unlike most of you, I see the world from a different perspective, and ... NOT....from the perspective of....a....

Cabby in London.

Would I trade my early years for anything?

No.

I would not.

I love the fact that I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood, and I would not have it any other way.

So, then....

Does anyone here know any good Jewish Jokes?

And, do you even know what Jewish humor might be?

Jewish humor is like fine wine......

And most cannot truly appreciate it, if one is a gentile....

Here is just one example:

image.png.1cc8a19afa65d126ffa84091f786360d.png

But, NO, the above is NOT, anywhere NEAR, the best example of Jewish humor.

Maybe I will add a few Jewish Jokes...below,....

When I am ready.

Growing up in a Jewish neighborhood, being one of the sole surviving gentiles is my principle claim to fame.

I would not have had it any other way.

I am grateful for this.

Now, I guess, you know a bit more about me.

And, also, you might know, now, why I stick out like a sore thumb, too....because...

I know you care about this.

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  I bet that you might not know just how much an Asian neighborhood and a Jewish neighborhood might share in common.  

Please remind me to tell you, sometime....

You wrote:

"Jewish humor is like fine wine......

And most cannot truly appreciate it, if one is a gentile...."

Your statement seems to me a good example of Jewish arrogance. 

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

You wrote:

"Jewish humor is like fine wine......

And most cannot truly appreciate it, if one is a gentile...."

Your statement seems to me a good example of Jewish arrogance. 

Therefore all Jews are arrogant and no non-Jews are arrogant.

Got it.

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Therefore all Jews are arrogant and no non-Jews are arrogant.

Got it.

I'm confused Jingthing:

- Are you expanding my comment?

or

- Are you suggesting something else?

I would certainly agree there's arrogant people everywhere / every society / every sub group and just individuals.

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That was rude.

I moved into an apartment in melbourne Australia not realizing that around the corner (in a dead end cul de sac, no through traffic) was a large Jewish temple. The temple has a very small carpark.  

On Saturdays large numbers of worshipers descended, they just drove into other residents / house owners yards, multiple vehicles parked on their lawns, prohibiting the house owners from getting their cars out of their garages etc. Also covered the footpaths with cars, and occasionally ran over small trees.

Some community complaint letters to the temple admin. produced answers, such as "Well they have to park somewhere, what do you suggest".

On one occasion the above (para above) happened and a very disgruntled house owner put up a very large sign with one word "WALK". It was pulled down, the house owner put it up again, pulled down again and this happened several times. 

Edited by scorecard

55 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I moved into an apartment in melbourne Australia not realizing that around the corner (in a dead end cul de sac, no through traffic) was a large Jewish temple. The temple has a very small carpark.  

On Saturdays large numbers of worshipers descended, they just drove into other residents / house owners yards, multiple vehicles parked on their lawns, prohibiting the house owners from getting their cars out of their garages etc. Also covered the footpaths with cars, and occasionally ran over small trees.

Some community complaint letters to the temple admin. produced answers, such as "Well they have to park somewhere, what do you suggest".

On one occasion the above (para above) happened and a very disgruntled house owner put up a very large sign with one word "WALK". It was pulled down, the house owner put it up again, pulled down again and this happened several times. 

In my world, that would mean a lot of flat tires.   If happened following week, a lot of punctured tires, if again, some broke windshields.

Yea ... raised to respect others, not sh!t on them :coffee1:

I grew up in a neighbourhood with about 0.01% Russians of "Jewish faith", associated with them quite a lot, ate their special foods, celebrated occasional Friday night candle-lit dinners with yamalka (keipe) on my head and found them to be lovely people. Visited the Holy Land, was immersed in the River Jordan, walked where Jesus walked, put a small really lovely note in the Western wall for a Jewish friend, and found them also to be lovely people.     Many Messianic Jews have seen "the light", mostly not so, but leave them all be, and know there's a cross section of good and bad every where. 

Reading between the lines, GammaGlobulin seems a decent person not appreciated by some in this forum and has bought them out of the woods with their hatred. 

As Ezzra said:- Dear Gamma,There's a place and time to bring certain topics up, now it's not a good time to post anything about Jews/Israel etc.   Amen to that, yet there's an inescapable ongoing reality.

RandiRona mentioned awards. Oh yes, some of the most clever inventions have come from Israel.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Neither would I. I like diversity. 

The area I grew up in had about 10 percent Jews and that was considered heavily Jewish. 

My elementary school had just enough Jews so that the school added some token Channukah songs to the Christmas stuff.

That new math I heard about.   Different from the stuff I was taught.   

I grew up in mixed neighborhood, 2 of 4 neighbors were black, actually 2 of 3, as factory across the street, and alley behind the house was border of whites/blacks, and all black beyond.  Only 1 black kid at high school, my neighbor, and we used to hang out of course, earning me the N-Lover title, which I enjoyed.

After high school, (15+ yrs old and onward) my cousin/Jew, neighbor/black, and my honky A$$ would go to local bar, get 6'ers of Michelob & doobies, and ponder the world's problems.  

Wouldn't want to be raised in any other neighborhood, or to parents that weren't bigots.  Living on the other side of the tracks shows the character of those thinking they are better.   Sadly A-hole rarely realize their true self or the world, and raise A-holes.

Why the world is such a sh!thole ... :coffee1:

Remember when MLK Jr got bumped off, my father put a rifle on the coffee table, and I'm like ...

... W T F

... they're going to riot, we have to be prepared ... you mean all my friends and their family are going to attack us ?  Mind boggling mentality.   Stop watching TV pop.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

So you're saying that it's not a good time to post anything about Jews while they are committing genocide? To me, this is exactly the right time to call attention to Jews and their crimes. Hint: Your people have not been despised everywhere they have settled since the beginning of time for winning too many Nobel Prizes or for making too many contributions to society.

Why have Jews been persecuted /despised in numerous countries over the centuries ?

I grew up in a 100% white British neighbourhood.

It is now 90% Pakistani and Bangladeshi.

Not 100% muslim yet.Just waiting for the older white people to die off.

And some brain-dead farangs still call Thailand a 3rd world country.

• Sad 1

My Dear Gentile Friends:

Not be the same.

Jewish humor is something to be savored, and also something that most gentiles cannot appreciate.

This is not my fault.

Therefore, unlike most of you, I see the world from a different perspective, and ... NOT....from the perspective of....a....

Cabby in London.

No.

I would not.

I love the fact that I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood, and I would not have it any other way.

So, then....

When I am ready.

Growing up in a Jewish neighborhood, being one of the sole surviving gentiles is my principle claim to fame.

I am grateful for this.

And, also, you might know, now, why I stick out like a sore thumb, too....because...

Regards,

Gamma

Note:  I bet that you might not know just how much an Asian neighborhood and a Jewish neighborhood might share in common.  

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know there are, or were, many many Jewish cabbies in London. They virtually created the trade. I was a beneficiary, and I've always felt grateful to them.

I also worked for a Jewish high end antiquarian book dealer in Mayfair for 7 years. A great guy, full of humour. Dealt with millionaires and billionaires. What's best about Jewish humour is the ability to laugh at themselves IMHO. But Israel's another matter altogether. I was also a postie in Golders Green, and saw both ends of the spectrum. The rich and famous and the orthodox poor. Was asked on more than one occasion to turn a light off on the Sabbath. Respect, you have to have it. Good for the soul.

• Thumbs Up 1

An elderly Jewish gentleman was crossing the road (after finishing his soup from the earlier joke) and was unfortunately hit by a cab and was lying injured in the road.  Someone calls 911 and an ambulance is on its way.  Whilst waiting a lady takes off her jacket, folds it, and puts under the mans head.  "How is that?" she asks him, "Are you comfortable?"  his reply "I make a living..."

• Haha 1

An American Jewish Princess was on her way out to lunch and was standing outside her apartment building waiting for the doorman to find a cab. 

A schnorrer comes up and says "Hey lady, I haven't eaten in 3 days!" 

"So force yourself!"

• Haha 2

My Dear Gentile Friends:

Not be the same.

This is not my fault.

Cabby in London.

No.

I would not.

So, then....

When I am ready.

I am grateful for this.

Regards,

Gamma

A Catholic Priest and a Rabbi are in a horrendous head-on collision with each other on a busy highway.  They crawl from the wreckage and find that they are both uninjured. Better, the Priest retrieved a bottle of whisky from his half of the demolished cars, unscratched and intact.

The Priest opens the bottle and says, "I toast our good fortune " He drinks. "I toast the miracle of our survival and attribute it to a blessing from Almighty God" He drinks again. "I also respect and honor your sacred trust." He drinks a third time. He hands the bottle to the Rabbi, who puts the cap back on and smiles. The Priest asks, "Aren't you going to toast our luck and blessings too?" "Sure," the Rabbi replies. "After the cops get here."

• Haha 1