Reforestation seen as only viable smog solution

webfact

39 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As is most food consumption, veggies, fruits, grains.   We kill, or abort to survive.   Try surviving without killing or aborting something.

Had ribs yesterday ... damn tasty 

... with a side salad that someone killed the ingredients for me to have ... :coffee1:

Have blueberries in my cereal or yogurt daily.  Aborted fruit that will never grow and live a full life.

Going to have aborted (murdered) chickens for brekkie, and possibly dinner.

Kill, pay someone to kill .... or die ... UP2U

Seems like too many cups of coffee this morning!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rwill said:

Yes.  Need to plant the trees again.  That way you have more to burn.

Indeed, I was going to say there's little point planting more until you convince people to stop cutting them down and burning them.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The real issue? We have turned almost half the world's habitable land into an animal farm.

That maybe true in the west, however burning is the issue in Thailand and neighbouring countries.... it's the Asian way of life.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Depopulate or perish.

Thailands economy is doing just that, instead of the good old days and knocking out six kids they can only afford one or two.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Depopulate or perish.

That's right  !

If we get rid of 90% of the population, then the rest of what's left of the population, can start again  !
But Hang on  !  Isn't Hunting and Gathering doing just the same  ?
Our population will grow { in say 10,000 years } and the can will have been kicked FAR down the road, and we won't have to worry any more  !

Sound's like a PLAN  !

Now where did I put that Nuclear Bomb  ?  ?

Reforestation is good, but need to also deal with excessive undergrowth that provides fuel for fires.  Suggestion, deer used to be very common in Thailand but were poached to extinction in most parts.  Maybe reintroduce deer, this would have a benefit of reducing undergrowth, and I am sure some will disappear into the cooking pot of local rural thais reducing food poverty.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Yes.  Need to plant the trees again.  That way you have more to burn.

Good idea.  Deforestation is the way to go then the arsonist would have any forests to burn down and blame it on global warming.  The air would clear right up, well, except for all the sugar and corn fields that are burnt on the alter of Big Agricultural who privatize the profits and socialize the killer air pollution.

21 minutes ago, MarkBR said:

Maybe reintroduce deer, this would have a benefit of reducing undergrowth

Thais would just wipe them out again.  It's not about reintroducing them; it's about enforcement.  It's funny that in the US enforcement is widespread and so effective that in many places deer, and even elk, are a road nuisance.  And yet in Thailand?  There is no will to do what it takes to preserve wildlife or the forests or the air quality.  And making the commoner eat f***ing bug is a BS solution.  Trust me - those trying to force that solution on the plebs will be enjoying Kobe beef steaks while flying in their private jets 35K feet above your dirty commoner's heads while on their way to their beach-front mansions which are suppose to be under 20 feet of water by now.  100% bravo sierra and kee kwai.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

For Mr Smith and a growing number of experts, the only viable long-term solution is shifting from the land-hogging, polluting inefficiencies of obtaining our nutrients from meat towards a plant-based diet that would allow global reforestation, rewilding and regeneration of the vast tracts of land laid waste by animal agriculture.

What you wanna bet they're going to make you eat bugs instead?

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

As is most food consumption, veggies, fruits, grains.   We kill, or abort to survive.   Try surviving without killing or aborting something.

Had ribs yesterday ... damn tasty 

... with a side salad that someone killed the ingredients for me to have ... :coffee1:

Have blueberries in my cereal or yogurt daily.  Aborted fruit that will never grow and live a full life.

Going to have aborted (murdered) chickens for brekkie, and possibly dinner.

Kill, pay someone to kill .... or die ... UP2U

Very few people would eat beef, lamb, or pork if they had to slaughter, and dress the animal themselves. 

And you just can't compare the raising of animals to vegetables, the resources required to create meat for consumption are staggering. 

This article is quite ridiculous and it suggests something that is likely impossible to do. It's idealistic in the extreme and it talks about a policy that would happen way too little way too late. No, that's not the solution, the solution is to get the sugar growers to stop burning, and the sugar refiners to stop purchasing burned sugar. The government has no interest in doing this because they're virtually owned and controlled by Big Agra, and we have a do-nothing PM. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Very few people would eat beef, lamb, or pork if they had to slaughter, and dress the animal themselves. 

And you just can't compare the raising of animals to vegetables, the resources required to create meat for consumption are staggering. 

Definitely agree with first part, as I'd only get my protein from eggs & seafood, if had to kill it myself.  I've butchered deer, but my brother killed it, as no way could I do it.  Although, if having a proper rifle, I think I'd get over killing a steer or a pig.   As long as I didn't name it   :cheesy:

Chickens are too much hassle to pluck.  Killed a goose, and gave up, someone else had to finish it.  Ain't worth the hassle to me.

Raising, organically, old style doesn't take much resources at all.  But mass producing is a whole another industrial complex, for better profit margin.  Hence the amount of resources needed.  Home on the farm, they graze, they grow, but not to today's market standard.

Fruits & veggies can be quite the trial & error to master.  We get a few things right at the house, but other fail miserably.  Definitely need a greenhouse, or chemicals, which we won't use, hence the greenhouse, and a large one at that.  

• Thumbs Up 1