British man dies after bathroom fall at Chon Buri residence

webfact

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

No safety glass there, such incidents are so easily avoided.

Note to self - always use some kind of shattering type safety glass in the future.

Or a curtain........it does the same job.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

In related news, the British backpacker murderers have made fresh appeals against their sentence claiming they are innocent of beating an English couple to death in Thailand 10 years ago.

How on Earth is a man dying due to a bathroom accident 'related' to the murder of two backpackers? How far down can The Thaiger take us? It's like their writers live on a different planet.

I ended up putting down no-slip tape on the slick tile in the bathroom and in the shower.  Lots of different colors available on Lazada.  Initially, I made the mistake of putting down clear.  Looked great for a few days, but it soon turned a dirty brown.  So I took it up and laid down black.  

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/5x5-i4991674373.html

Not a glass thing, but one of the most haunting images I've ever seen was a safety poster offshore that showed a dead body with a huge gash across the rear end.  It was the result of someone who climbed on the porcelain bowl to do the squatty thing instead of the sitting thing they were designed for.  The ceramic bowl broke and the victim fell onto the sharp edge and bled out.  We still found oily bootprints on the porcelain bowls.

BTW, it's not as good as safety glass, but adhesive frosted film can keep the shards from going all over if the glass breaks.  Though I wouldn't recommend it in a high risk application like a shower door.  But for a patio door...  Also makes it less likely someone will walk through it in the first place.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems there are no regulations in Thailand that safety glass must be used - even in places where there is a considerable risk of accidents.

And if there were they wouldn't be enforced.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I remember many years ago when I built a small hotel in Phuket - I installed sliding smoked glass doors in the showers and assumed that the glass was safety glass (forgive me - I was a newbie in Thailand).

Some time later a young boy staying with his parents ran straight through the glass door!  Shards of glass everywhere, but amazingly the boy only had a few small cuts.  It could have been so much worse.

In another incident (this time in Vietnam), a stone on the road flew up and hit the windscreen of our tour car that I was sitting in as a passenger.  The windscreen shattered into shards - it was standard glass, not safety glass....

Over the years there have been more than a few fatalities where foreigners have slipped in their bathroom and died, typically after hitting their head on something sharp.  Some of these deaths were where the person was elderly and unsteady on their feet.  Others were younger but drunk.

Many bathrooms in Thailand do not have non-slip floor tiles, some are like an ice-rink when wet.  It is always advisable to move slowly and hold onto firm surfaces when taking a shower.

While taking a shower in a dirt bag hotel in Phnom Penh, I slipped on the soapy, shiny tiles and fell onto the edge if the porcelain toilet onto my right side and broke two ribs. What was even dumber was I then went to a Cambodian Hospital.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

What a sad tale, and a wake up to those with glass shower screens.  Common in hotels in my experience but could not be sure if safety glass is usual. 

Sorry to be pedantic but it sound like this happened in Huay Yai, an area South of Pattaya, not ' in the coastal town of Chon Buri.'

In related news, as The Thaiger would say, a colleague got stuck in his shower at a hotel in Dubai. The door just wouldn't open. He had his Do Not Disturb light on and could have been trapped there for a day or more, but eventually he managed to climb out over the top. Not an experience I'd want to go through. In a Thai hotel there's a chance he could have smashed the door, I suppose.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rexpotter said:
5 hours ago, Happy happy said:

"Upon arrival at the accident scene, a luxurious single-story residence, law enforcement found Wilson’s wife and relatives, overwhelmed with grief, some fainting and collapsing on the sofas in the lounge area. Wilson lay on the bed with a fatal wound to his chest in the bedroom."

-maybe they just learned they were not mentioned in his Will...

Or didn't get his PIN numbers.

Moron Of the Week Award, shared with those who think that making a joke about someone's tragic accident is a great idea.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Or a curtain........it does the same job.

My pet hate in hotels. The change in air pressure when the shower is on pulls the curtain in towards you. I have a large walk-in area in my bathroom, no door, no curtain, just an area probably large enough to fit a double bed in.

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The change in air pressure when the shower is on pulls the curtain in towards you. I have a large walk-in area in my bathroom, no door, no curtain, just an area probably large enough to fit a double bed in.

My curtain does not do that as I turn the water on first, giving it time to warm up a bit with the curtain open, get in the shower then close it.

So glad to know that you have a big bathroom.

8 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

I particularly love the slanted shiny tiles on the sidewalks that when wet, are extremely dangerous.

I know of a swimming pool with ceramic tiles around it, That was great idea I must say

24 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I know of a swimming pool with ceramic tiles around it, That was great idea I must say

Yes, my beautiful huge swimming pool where I stay has a strip of shiny icy, slippery tile around it, just in case you are not paying attention. Morons.

33 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My curtain does not do that as I turn the water on first, giving it time to warm up a bit with the curtain open, get in the shower then close it.

I can fit a Dish washer, a Toyota Corrolla, and two king size beds in mine.

• Love It 1

34 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My pride and joy 😊

• Love It 1

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My pride and joy 😊

Lucky if I spend more that 2 x 5 minutes in mine per day.

My restaurant-sized beer/wine fridge is mine ! 555

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Many bathrooms in Thailand do not have non-slip floor tiles, some are like an ice-rink when wet.  It is always advisable to move slowly and hold onto firm surfaces when taking a shower.

Wear bathroom slippers. 

9 hours ago, ukrules said:

How would you know if it's the expensive / good stuff or the cheap nasty version before it breaks?

It should say tempered or similar. If not it's probably the variety that will kill you

• Agree 1

On 4/4/2024 at 12:27 PM, John Drake said:

Wear bathroom slippers. 

Wear bathroom slippers AND hold onto firm surfaces AND don't enter the bathroom when p*ssed out of your mind....

• Agree 1

Perhaps a combination of slippery tiles and non tempered glass. We were very careful all over the house to use non slip tiles but forgot about the glass. We are installing tempered glass as we renovate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Blame it on the glass and floor?  How about the report he was out all night drinking and was probably un steady,  still buzzed and half drunk when he got up to pee.  Sounds like his decision to party was the main contributor to his death.

Edited by bkk6060

Hadn't even thought of the sliding glass door to my patio.... I'm guessing it isn't safety glass. I can't imagine building any glass door that isn't safety glass! I guess I had just gotten lazy with many years of it being the standard back home and not even thought about it anymore! Many building codes seem like they were made by politicians with an agenda, but many are seriously important. But that said, I'm guessing that this one isn't even any sort of code in Thailand anyway.... just thought of as something for luxury high class. But who knows, maybe it is in the building code, not that it would mean much....