Dreamliner 787-8

On 4/5/2024 at 4:51 AM, AverageAussie said:

Aisle seat do have the benefit of easy access, so enjoy your flight

Except when the two other passengers in your row need/want to go to the bog every now & then.

• Haha 1

May be "Dreamy" in 1st or Biz Class, but it's the same as all the others in economy. Packed TIGHT with no leg room if over 170cm. If full, it's as uncomfy as all the others. 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Cannot remember if I took the TG 787 but I did the A-380. Just a tiny seat on a big plane

Seat manufacturer types and arragements are customer options

Check the Seat Guru app.

Disagree,

In all the smaller planes there is very little difference in where you sit unless you pay or have a Gold membership or above to choose your seats with legroom or exit rows free of charge. I would never sit in a middle seat.

That includes the Dreamliner 787 good aircraft, but economy alas, is still economy.

I am flying next month and have purposely arranged my schedule to ensure I am on the A380 from BKK-DOH and DOH-BKK return.

I am 6'3" and 110 kg and no way would I describe the experience as  ' just a tiny seat on a big plane ' It has ample room in my view, OK, it's economy, but it's good economy especially in seat 40A lower deck at the front section. I have flown the upper deck, but personal choice, I like 40A.

Huge aircraft and has plenty of room.

For my return leg MAN-DOH, I have Qcredits on the A350  for the business class upgrade.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

You got a ticket yet do you have seat selectionif so stop worrying and enjoy the flight. The dreamliner is suppose to be more comfortable than airplane built before it. The dreamliner has been in operation before covid.

My wife booked the flight, and I am sure she did not select the seats 

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Disagree,

In all the smaller planes there is very little difference in where you sit unless you pay or have a Gold membership or above to choose your seats with legroom or exit rows free of charge. I would never sit in a middle seat.

That includes the Dreamliner 787 good aircraft, but economy alas, is still economy.

I am flying next month and have purposely arranged my schedule to ensure I am on the A380 from BKK-DOH and DOH-BKK return.

I am 6'3" and 110 kg and no way would I describe the experience as  ' just a tiny seat on a big plane ' It has ample room in my view, OK, it's economy, but it's good economy especially in seat 40A lower deck at the front section. I have flown the upper deck, but personal choice, I like 40A.

Huge aircraft and has plenty of room.

For my return leg MAN-DOH, I have Qcredits on the A350  for the business class upgrade.

Actually there is nothing wrong with TG economy class seats In should not have said tiny. I just don’t think A-380 was anything special and somehow a bit cramped vice the 777 and 747-400 I was used to. I prefer an aisle seat on long flights and window on short. 

Tiny is the LCC carriers like Jetstar Japan that somehow cram 180 plus seats on a 737-800. Same for the KE 737-800 they were using low season between ICN and CNX. 

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Actually there is nothing wrong with TG economy class seats In should not have said tiny. I just don’t think A-380 was anything special and somehow a bit cramped vice the 777 and 747-400 I was used to. I prefer an aisle seat on long flights and window on short. 

Tiny is the LCC carriers like Jetstar Japan that somehow cram 180 plus seats on a 737-800. Same for the KE 737-800 they were using low season between ICN and CNX. 

On the A380 the seat row 40 is the one at the front where the steps lead up to business class. I liked the height. and of course, in that seat, you have massive legroom.

They have another smaller intimate economy upstairs to the rear of Business, but I like the front cabin downstairs. You also get off the plane lively at the destination.

Also, another plus is because of the size of the A380 they always make sure that you are alongside the airbridge and straight into the terminal.

I used to hate after a long flight, getting buses to the terminal regardless of the class of seat I was in and then having to go through security again.

For small carriers, I wouldn't do over a 2-hour flight with them, Vietnam, and Cambodia are OK, but for Japan or anywhere, I would pay more for a good airline.

• Thumbs Up 1

787 is not the same. For one, the internal pressure is much better making it much more comfortable 6000 ft vs 8000ft. Larger windows with electronic widow shading. 

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2024 at 8:38 AM, still kicking said:

Anybody used it yet? I booked a flight to Swampy next week and the plane will be 787-8. So, my question is has anybody used it yet, and what is it like? I will fly cattle class since I picked up a cheap flight.

Same same no difference to any other cattle class mate. The 8 getting a bit tired now on some carriers.

777 last row is only 2 seats which is good for solo if you don't mind proximity to the toilets.

What airline you booked on?

Edited by drgoon

13 hours ago, Chivas said:

The type of aircraft really is of no consequence overall

Seat pitch and configuration is what its all about frankly

The seating is what everyone notices and makes up a big % of the experience. And I repeat - the airlines make that call on how good or bad that will be.

But it's the subtle details that we don't notice that also contribute overall. Plane design will impact things like air pressure, windows/ lighting, noise & how it handles turbulence. It happens sub-consciously. 

If I were to quantify it, I'd say:

1. Seating 40%
  2. Service 40%
  3. Everything else about the plane 20%

Items 1 & 2 are under the airlines' control. Item 3 (as explained) can be an inherent feature of the plane.

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, still kicking said:

My wife booked the flight, and I am sure she did not select the seats 

It might depend on the fare class and your status, but you may have seat selection still available as an option (free or as a paid option). Log in to "Manage your booking" to see what's available.

If not, then you could still ask at the desk when checking in. No guarantees of course and you'd be well advised to do it early.

12 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Except when the two other passengers in your row need/want to go to the bog every now & then.

Exactly. That's why I prefer the window seat. :thumbsup:

They all have their advantages & disadvantages and we need to accept that passengers will have their own priorities - and reasoning. Probably bottom of the rung is the middle seat on the 2 side lanes, with disadvantages from both of the adjoining seats.

I suggested that if travelling as a couple and with a preference for the aisle, that he select adjoining seats in the middle lane. That way the 3rd passenger in that row can exit to the aisle on the other side.

37 minutes ago, AverageAussie said:

The seating is what everyone notices and makes up a big % of the experience. And I repeat - the airlines make that call on how good or bad that will be.

But it's the subtle details that we don't notice that also contribute overall. Plane design will impact things like air pressure, windows/ lighting, noise & how it handles turbulence. It happens sub-consciously. 

1. Seating 40%
  2. Service 40%

Items 1 & 2 are under the airlines' control. Item 3 (as explained) can be an inherent feature of the plane.

Fantastic post 

I love analytics.

Seating is highest percentage I agree 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Celsius said:

how does one enjoy the flight?

It's not difficult.

Plug in some ANC headphones and browse through the entertainment selection. Take some reading material in case that may not interest you. Study the menu choices.

If you're in a window seat, enjoy the view on take-off & landing and when passing over major storm systems.

I love flying and being offline from my phone for a few hours.

1 minute ago, AverageAussie said:

It's not difficult.

Plug in some ANC headphones and browse through the entertainment selection. Take some reading material in case that may not interest you. Study the menu choices.

If you're in a window seat, enjoy the view on take-off & landing and when passing over major storm systems.

I have decided to buy 2 x economy seats for even better experience, I get the two seats window and aisle to myself.

2 hours ago, drgoon said:

Same same no difference to any other cattle class mate. The 8 getting a bit tired now on some carriers.

777 last row is only 2 seats which is good for solo if you don't mind proximity to the toilets.

What airline you booked on?

Thai airlines

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, AverageAussie said:

It's not difficult.

For a few hours, sure. How about 15 hours, 196cm 90kg. I don't even enjoy business class anymore 

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

For a few hours, sure. How about 15 hours, 196cm 90kg. I don't even enjoy business class anymore 

A lot can be a result of your own state of mind & attitude.

I'm slightly shorter by a few cm compared to you, but I'm heavier than you - so I'm burdened with a BMI of 29.6 (overweight) vs 23.4 (normal range) for you. It has been even higher than that and yet I've still always looked forward to a 9-hour flight if direct to BKK. If I fly indirect via a secondary port, the total travel time can get close to (or even exceed) your 15 hours.

If it's a long flight in Economy and a sardine packed seating arrangement such as JQ or 3K, then I might try for an exit row - which gives me ample room to stretch out. If I can use FF points and upgrade into business class then you can guarantee that I'm ecstatic.

I have just looked and the second leg of my UK flight next month is on the Dreamliner 787-9 with Qatar, I have booked over the exit row in 28B.

There are only two seats there to allow for emergency doors, so for flying it's happy days.

Been on the dreamliner many a  time, i wouldnt say its anything special, the best plane by far for me has been the A380  I havent flown economy for about 16 years, its just to painful for room and since all airlines changed their points systems  they now give you even less. Used to be four  flights UK  to Thailand economy I could get an upgrade to Business with miles......now its way more  miles to do that.

Toilets in the 787 are  small A380 way roomier and the A380 is the quietest.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

I'd swap my business class to weigh 90 kg again at 190cm.

I will try for 105 kg.

I wouldn't mind, I have stopped alcohol and I am not into cakes and sweets and things, at the moment I do not get enough exercise but who wants to go out doing 5 miles at 40C?

10 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Been on the dreamliner many a  time, i wouldnt say its anything special, the best plane by far for me has been the A380  I havent flown economy for about 16 years, its just to painful for room and since all airlines changed their points systems  they now give you even less. Used to be four  flights UK  to Thailand economy I could get an upgrade to Business with miles......now its way more  miles to do that.

Toilets in the 787 are  small A380 way roomier and the A380 is the quietest.

I agree and love the A380 for all the reasons you say but I didn't enjoy the business class on the A380 as I found it too big!

The bar area is a good gimmick.

I prefer, in business class only not economy, the 777 Q suites or the A350 Q suites.

I am usually travelling solo, so when I am I enjoy the privacy.

I wish I always was travelling business, but with frequent flying and funding myself, it can get a tad expensive post-Covid.

They have got a bit stingy with the air miles with Qatar Air, demanding more for less, under the new points system.

I'll be dropping out of Gold membership this year and I won't pay the premium to stay in it, as in buying additional Q points so I will then shop around more than ever for deals, instead of blind loyalty to Qatar.

Edited by Scouse123

On 4/5/2024 at 2:38 AM, still kicking said:

So, my question is has anybody used it yet, and what is it like?

The aircraft was introduced in 2009 so many millions of people have used it. Do you have a flight phobia for asking? Or is this your first ever flight? Should be a dream.

2 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

The aircraft was introduced in 2009 so many millions of people have used it. Do you have a flight phobia for asking? Or is this your first ever flight? Should be a dream.

He is nearly 80 the poor old man ,will take him 1 hour just to walk up the gangway to board the plane so give the poor old chap a break 

• Confused 1

On 4/5/2024 at 7:32 AM, Ralf001 said:

No way would I book that seat on a long haul flight. Half the seat across the isle and right next to the toilet. Not much privacy and would be constantly bumped into by passing passengers.

23 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

He is nearly 80 the poor old man ,will take him 1 hour just to walk up the gangway to board the plane so give the poor old chap a break 

We can't all be like you and get rolled on first in your wheelchair.

Your two club feet are a blessing at airports.

On 4/5/2024 at 4:06 AM, still kicking said:

I fly to Thailand twice a year but never used Dreamliner. 

It'll very likely be very similar... 

IMO - the primary difference on the dreamliner is the volume of the aircraft itself inside the cabin. 

Its quieter - I fly with noise cancelling headphones anyway (which IMO makes a large difference to the travelling experience)..

Pretty much everything else the same...     nothing much more or less to expect than your usual flights.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, AverageAussie said:

1. Seating 40%
  2. Service 40%

lol 80% is the seat and configuration

The point of an aircraft is to get you from A to B safely I couldnt care less if the foods not the best  or the flight crew look like Russian shotputters with hairy legs

Seat seat seat !!!

• Haha 2