Thai Tourists undeterred by Taiwan earthquakes for Songkran

webfact

image.jpeg

Despite Taiwan experiencing its most significant earthquake in a quarter of a century and a series of tremors in Japan, Thai tourists are undeterred and continue with their planned holidays during the Songkran period.

Charoen Wangananont, President of the Thai Travel Agents Association (TTAA), revealed that the majority of Thai tourists had already secured their tour packages, flight tickets, and accommodation, meaning they cannot seek refunds should they cancel their trips.

Wangananont disclosed that concerns were raised about travel safety after news of the Taiwan earthquake emerged. However, upon understanding that the affected regions were on the island’s eastern side, tourists opted to proceed with their original tour plans.

Despite southern Japan also issuing earthquake and tsunami warnings, these incidents did not affect the outbound tour programmes scheduled for Japan during Songkran, according to Wangananont.

by Alex Morgan

Picture courtesy of China Daily

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-05

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

I recall the very MAJOR earthquake in Taiwan, in 1999, a 7.7 with epicenter in NanTou...

It knocked out our power in Taipei for a few months, except for sporadic power provided at odd times.

That was a major quake.

When it hit, all power was cut, all communication was cut.

The building rocked and rocked for what seemed like over a minute.

That quake was completely devastating.

===============

There will be MANY and very SIGNIFICANT after-quakes for at least the next month.

In Taiwan, minor quakes happen routinely.

Sometimes, they just rock you to sleep.

I know a LOT about Taiwan.

And, this is the reason I don't want to return.

The people of Taiwan have destroyed their Isle Formosa due to the many environmentally poor decisions they have taken during the past many years.

HOPE TSMC in HsinChu is still OK, though.....

We love our chips!

=================

Eat, Drink, Man, Woman

Great Film

Great Taiwanese Director.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite Taiwan experiencing its most significant earthquake in a quarter of a century and a series of tremors in Japan, Thai tourists are undeterred and continue with their planned holidays during the Songkran period.

Because they're coming to Thailand?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

I don't think I'de like to be the operator of the excavators under the lee of the leaning building.....

The fact of there being very few collapsed buildings (and very few deaths) indicates that the Taiwanese, unlike the Turks, have built them to withstand earthquakes very well.

That building is probably doing exactly what it as supposed to do in an earthquake.

I suspect that it sits on a massively strong foundation, which was designed to move instead of breaking, and that the building itself is very well secured to that foundation and also built to withstand a large angle of tilt without collapsing.

I googled "Buildings taiwan earthquake" and as well as the headline photo in this article I got these two examples:

Taiwan earthquake: Buildings tilt on ...

7.4 magnitude earthquake rocks Taiwan ...

Edited by Enoon
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

these incidents did not affect the outbound tour programmes

Even the Thais are fleeing Songkran.  I'd risk an earthquake to avoid Pattaya Waste-of-Water Festival. I went to Makro yesterday & can now withstand three weeks of famine and flood.